Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m hoping I can get some advice on what to do with one of my birds. I believe I have a unique situation so bear with me as I explain.

I came home last week from being out of town and found one of my birds beaten up and looking miserable so I separated her from the flock. Upon observation, I noticed that the area before the vent was swollen (abdomen, maybe? I’m not great with bird anatomy). Outside of the swelling, she is alert as a normal pigeon ought to be, but she has excessive thirst and hunger. I also noticed her crop was very full. She also seems to gasp for breath when she is anxious and does not fly. Poops were larger and mushier than normal, but not discolored. I contacted the only avian vet group I know of in my area and was able to make an appt to drop her off the next morning. I was afraid of possible egg binding and wanted to get her seen asap.

The vet observed the swelling in the abdomen/vent area and prescribed mineral oil and doxycycline. The doxy confused me and I asked the vet about Baytril/Enrofloaxin and the vet explained they wanted to try the doxy first. They also explained that the mineral oil was going to coat the GI tract and intestines and encourage digestion. This also confused me because the bird didn’t appear to have any issues going to the bathroom. They then advised me if there is no improvement then next steps would be to xray and possible switching to baytril. The vet was not concerned about egg binding. This was last Thursday the 29th of December.

Come Monday, there was no improvement and it seemed the swelling was worse so I contacted the vet for her to be seen on Tuesday. They took a couple of xrays and found two objects in indeterminate locations. The vet said the objects could be in the GI tract and possibly grit that somehow was swallowed down, or it could be a indicator of kidney disease, or it could be in the ovary and be a tumor. I asked about next steps and what we can do moving forward. She said we could do a sonogram and surgery was potentially an option but it would be exploratory and very risky since they don’t really know exactly where in the organs the objects were. The vet also stated that she had never seen anything like it, nor had the more seasoned avian vet seen anything like it. She prescribed baytril on top of the doxy and mineral oil and sent me home. They’re supposed to email me the xrays but I have yet to receive them (I can post them when I get them).

The vet advised that its very unlikely that the object, if in the GI tract, will pass due to its size. I feel completely helpless and feel so bad for the bird because I imagine she is in a lot of pain.

I’m wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this happening, or has experience with something like this. Is it possible to give her something that will break down the object if in the GI tract or am I looking at a loss cause and a doomed bird? I also don’t fully understand the purpose of doubling up on antibiotics unless they’re trying to help with inflammation. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. 💛

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping this post. The vet is finally supposed to send me xrays. I'll post them here once I get them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts