Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week my pigeon was having open mouthed breathing & wheezing noise. The vet asked me to give her deriphyllin(etofylline+theophylline) 0.3 ml as he suspected respiratory problem & it would help her with breathing. I gave her some homeo medicines. The breathing improved in 2days so I reduced dosage of deriphyllin to once a day. I last gave it to her on Sunday night.

Since Monday morning ie today she has not been eating nor drinking. Bt she is normally active & still flying to her normal ht of 3 ft… I was suspecting she has a water filled crop as it looked a bit spongy to me. in evening 5 pm I tried to press her crop n mucus+ liquid with pungent smell came out but some water is still there in the crop which she dint remove. Also her weight increased by 10 g in afternoon inspite of not eating anything & she is not pooping regurarly. I have given her aloevera juice & ginger juice . she has sticky poop too and bubbles in poop sometimes.
took her to the vet who flushed her crop 2 times. lest some fluid still inside & i tried to press that on coming home there was pungent smell still coming from fluid. is still some seed left in crop. she is still not pooping properly very little faeces coming after around 2-3 hrs. ive allowed her to drink water & not giving her food. do i give her polyaid plus she looks weak now isnt resisting against handlling? vet asked me to give her metonidazole at 2mg /kg 2 times a day. i found tht to be v lesss so i gave her at 20mg/kg. could someone help me with the dosage please. i am thinking if i should start her on any other antibiotic along with this. can amoxiclav be given allong with metrogyl the faeces r still not coming , i mean her crop is still not emptying.
thanks.. anyone had any experience with giving baking soda with some water in such a case

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Most of the crop blockages I met were caused by Candida fungus. At the recommendation of a member of this forum, at a recent case I administered a metoclopramide injection which deblocked the crop.

But I assume that if is blocked by canker, it won't help. I don't know how canker-blocked crop manifest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts