Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just found this forum about pigeon and I was wondering if anyone could help me. Three days ago while at the dog park my dog attacked this pigeon that was already unable to fly, I got him out of his mouth and he didn't have any visible injuries and seemed ok, other than being really scared.
I've brought the pigeon home and have given him canary seeds, like the owner of the petshop that I went to told me to. I have added oatmeal to his good but I'm pretty sure that's not enough as his poop is very liquid and of a greenish color.
I've brought him to the local Forest Guard who said to just release him back because he's fine and likely too young. I honestly think something is wrong with him and he doesn't look like a youngster, he's pretty big, can someone tell me what to do?
Also he stays a lot in the second position, is he cold?
Bird Beak Rock dove Feather Tints and shades
Bird Plant Beak Feather Wood

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Something is definitely wrong with him. Keep him warm on a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft fleezy blanket and put him on top. He is young, but old enough to be eating by himself. Keep him hydrated by dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in s small bowl of water.

Can you take a flashlight and check deep inside his beak and back of the throat for yellow cheesy growths? Canker affects a lot of youngsters and he will need antibiotics for that. Are you from Ireland? There are FB groups: Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation where you can post and members will refer you to the nearest pigeon friendly rescue centre.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him.

Here you can find some info (diet, etc) and pics of wood pigeons.

How is he doing? Have you checked his mouth and throat with a flashlight as suggested? Any whitish or yellowish material/growths? Any bad smell?

Have you carefully checked his body for injuries? Sometimes they are difficult to find because they could be hidden by feathers.

Do the droppings have a bad smell?

Is he eating and drinking on his own?
Can you get some bird vitamins? I regularly use a supplement called Omni-vit Oropharma but I have never seen it in Italy. A good product available in Italy is called Piumedoro:

If you can get a supplement you can add it to his drinking water (you can show him water by dipping his beak - not over the nostrils - into a small bowl of water). Vitamins will help him to stay as strong as possible.
If he is not eating on his own you need to hand feed him.

Years ago I was suggested by a vet to not bring an injured bird to the Guardia Forestale because they would have euthanized him...
You could try to contact ENPA and ask for a vet available to visit pigeons in your area. Usually they are kind but just to be sure do not give them too much details... If they give you a name call the the vet before bringing him there... You know, just to be sure...
In all cases I would not leave him to any associations...

Keep us updated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts