Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found flapping pigeon 2 weeks ago, attacked by a cat, no serious injuries, only scratch under wings on both sides. I gave her antibiotic and pain medicine. She immediately started to eat and drink on her own, was very lively and wanted to escape through cage where I keep her.
After a week from that I tried to release her in a flock, everything went well, she flew a little, eaten the seeds I gave to them but then she just flew away and I found her in front of my building where I live. She just waited there for me to pick her up, unable to fly anymore, just flapping.
So now I have her again in a dog cage but she won't go out if I live cage open nor she try to fly.
I don't know what to do, I can't keep her, I have two cats and one of them has asthma. I would like to know what's wrong with her, why she won't fly? She's not injured, she flew very well outside but then just stopped all together. Her wings are fine, poop is great etc.
What can I do? There are no pigeon adopters here where I live and no rescues or whatever so I'm on my own.
Bird Vertebrate Leg Beak Feather

·
Registered
906 Posts
What are you feeding the bird? The bird in the picture below is about the same age as your bird. Note the iridescent colors on the feathers around the neck... that bird is eating well. Your bird would probably like some flax seed, sunflower seed, safflower seed, or sesame seeds for more fat (energy) in his diet.

Bird Beak Sky Feather Snout

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is a youngster and might need more time to recover and practise flying. Do you have a balcony? What country are you from?
Yes I have balcony but she won't try flying even if I put her out of the cage she's just sitting in the same spot for whole day.
I'm from Slovenia, EU

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you feeding the bird? The bird in the picture below is about the same age as your bird. Note the iridescent colors on the feathers around the neck... that bird is eating well. Your bird would probably like some flax seed, sunflower seed, safflower seed, or sesame seeds for more fat (energy) in his diet.

She eats Versele Laga prestige dove food, this are ingredients

dari 25%, safflower 16%, hempseed 10%, milo 9%, wheat 7%, peeled barley 5%, mungbeans 5%, tares 4%, yellow millet 4%, buckwheat 3%, paddy rice 3%, peeled oats 2%, rice 2%, red millet 2%, canola 1%, linseed 1%, striped sunflower seeds 1%

I also give her some pigeon mix which contains peas, corn, sunflower etc.
I add calcium to her drinking water and multivitamin powder in her seeds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't you convert the balcony as an aviary for her? Then do a soft release from there when she is a bit older.
I have mine and cat's furniture on balcony, cat's litter box etc so I can't leave her there all day. When I'm home she has her cage door open but SHE WON'T go outside, that's the problem. Even her cage is big enough for learning how to fly but she just won't try flapping her wings. I have had many rescued pigeons so far but have never seen anything like that. I don't understand why she won't trying? She was on balcony, released, few days in a row for a time I was home but she won't move from the corner of the balcony. When I opened door of her cage she went straight in. Like she doesn't want to be outside.

·
Registered
906 Posts
She eats Versele Laga prestige dove food, this are ingredients
The food and supplements sound good, but something isn't quite right. Perhaps as Marina B said, the bird is still young and not ready. Or perhaps he has some illness that isn't producing obvious symptoms other than the lack of flying, which is a common symptom among various types of bacterial or fungal infections. Feed the bird some naturally antibiotic foods and / or raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar in drinking water?

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I think you must keep her. It's so much easier if they are content with the situation and don't always try to get out. She obviously feel safe with you. Your cats will get used to her, although never leave them unattended together. She might one day be ready to go. When she is a bit older, the hormones will kick in and she will want a mate. Maybe then you can try again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you must keep her. It's so much easier if they are content with the situation and don't always try to get out. She obviously feel safe with you. Your cats will get used to her, although never leave them unattended together. She might one day be ready to go. When she is a bit older, the hormones will kick in and she will want a mate. Maybe then you can try again.
I really can't keep her, one of my cats has asthma and his symptoms are worse around birds (I suppose it's feather dust). I will try to find her a home although it would be hard to find someone here.

·
Registered
906 Posts
one of my cats has asthma
Oooh, another great opportunity to push Turmeric! Turmeric root contains curcumin. Curcumin is naturally anti-microbial and kills a variety of harmful parasites, bacteria, viruses, fungus, mold, and yeasts. It's also a prebiotic which serves as food for friendly / helpful probiotic bacteria in the intestines. I give it to an entire flock of feral pigeons at least twice a week to prevent outbreaks of the disease known as canker, which is caused by an internal parasite. Turmeric / curcumin is safe for people and animals to consume in reasonable quantities. By sheer coincidence, it is also used to treat asthma in people, cats and dogs. Black pepper helps in the absorption of curcumin within the body, so the two are often given together as treatments for disease, and as preventives.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oooh, another great opportunity to push Turmeric! Turmeric root contains curcumin. Curcumin is naturally anti-microbial and kills a variety of harmful parasites, bacteria, viruses, fungus, mold, and yeasts. It's also a prebiotic which serves as food for friendly / helpful probiotic bacteria in the intestines. I give it to an entire flock of feral pigeons at least twice a week to prevent outbreaks of the disease known as canker, which is caused by an internal parasite. Turmeric / curcumin is safe for people and animals to consume in reasonable quantities. By sheer coincidence, it is also used to treat asthma in people, cats and dogs. Black pepper helps in the absorption of curcumin within the body, so the two are often given together as treatments for disease, and as preventives.
Thank you, I already have tried with golden paste but cat won't eat it, he leaves his food untouched.
I didn't know it's safe for pigeons though, I will try to give her. How much and what way its best to give it to her?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Automotive lighting Pill Cylinder Service Glass
Gelatin capsules filled with turmeric and black pepper, then covered in cat food would probably work to give turmeric to your cat.

If your bird eats vegetables, dice and cover them with turmeric and pepper. I add cumin powder here because the birds seem to like that scent or flavor very much.

Or add turmeric, black pepper, and either olive oil or a small amount of yogurt to seeds, mix well to coat the seeds.

Or put turmeric powder on fresh bread, fold it over and then roll it flat. Cut into seed sized pieces for the bird to eat.

I don't use a dosage amount with individual birds that I bring home for care, but rather I give them more than they are likely to eat, either on bread or seeds, and let them take as much as they want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts