Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi we found a pigeon in our garden that is unable to fly, well unfortunately it was our dog who found it. The dog didn't hurt it was just pestering it. i have brought it inside in a large dog crate/cage and put a towel in there, which i am changing daily. i have given it wild bird seed and some water. it is definitely eating and drinking and its poo looks of normal consistency and colouring. i just don't know to do next. its a healthy enough looking bird but I realise it cant stay inside in a cage for ever. why would it be unable to fly? no obvious injuries and it extends both wings when trying to fly? i cant find anywhere that is willing to take the bird in and euthanasia is not an option. we live in quite a busy area with many cats. i dont think a flightless bird would last long at all. not really sure what to do next? we are in northern uk so weather is getting pretty wet and cold too. any advice would be greatly received and appreciated.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Looks like the one wing is hanging lower than the other. Might not be broken but sprained. Any chance of taking him to an avian vet for an x-ray? Just plse tell them this is your pet pigeon, otherwise they might euthanize. Bring him home and give him time to heal.

You can cover half of his cage with a blanket and also put a brick inside for him to perch on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
He looks like an adult. It’s possible he may have hit a window and had a concussion. Pigeons are notoriously clumsy.

He looks otherwise healthy. Give him a couple days and then put him outside to see if he’ll fly away. It’s possible he has a mate or even young babes, so you don’t want to keep it too long. Pigeons can tolerate up to -40 degrees if they are born in an area with harsh winter weather. I would not worry too much about that. If he seems more “with it” today you could try releasing him today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for advice. We put a blanket over cage and he is definitely more lively today. We tried several vets and they weren't interested. We have a park very close to us so we are gonna keep him another day and will release him early morning when there is few people about. Once again thanks so much for advice, we didn't want to the wrong thing by him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi just a quick update!! we kept him till Sunday morning just to make sure he had a decent time to recuperate. he was definitely full of beans. We took him to the park which is about 1 min walk away and released him first thing in the morning. plenty of bushes and trees that he can roost in or on!! any way we let him out of his transport box and he quickly waddled away before flying up to a near by low branch where he sat grooming himself!!! so thankyou very much for your advice it was very much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts