Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi pigeon people!

About 2 weeks ago, a sweet white pigeon landed on our terrace. She's still here...and we know NOTHING about birds.

So, pigeon people seem very friendly, and it's been easy to get info on what to feed her, etc. A local pigeon society (west of Ireland), told us to make a 1 metre square wooden structure as a shelter, with a landing board out front and something to perch on inside and to keep it off the ground.

This was surprisingly expensive to build from scratch, so we found a rabbit hutch on sale and got that. It is on 30cm legs (knee high) and has a makeshift landing board and perch that we're planning to upgrade this weekend.

The problem? She won't take shelter in it, preferring to spend nights on my son's windowsill, on the 3rd floor. She goes into the hutch, eats there, and hangs out on it, but doesn't sleep there or take shelter when it rains.

I understand that she is probably looking for the higher ground, but we can't physically get the hutch up that high (or much higher full stop). The weather's ok now, but as we go into the winter, it will get very windy and wet (but not too cold).

Any ideas? Should we shut her in the hutch for the nights? She's clearly tame and used to humans, and lets us get close, but we haven't tried picking her up for fear of stressing her. We're on the 2nd floor and don't think there is much risk of cats, etc.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your care and concern for this bird. Does the bird have any identification band? Since she seems so tame, is there any way to keep her indoors, in cage and let her free fly inside? She is probably lonely for some pigeon company. Pigeons are very social creatures.

While the height of the rabbit cage itself is high enough off the ground, pigeons themselves like to be up higher to roost, she may feel unsafe there at night. Any way you can set it up higher? Also, when you make adjustments, the hutch needs to have an area that will keep the bird dry and out of drafts of air. She needs a flat perch up high, and 1/2" thick hardware cloth to replace any chicken wire.

A lone pigeon shouldn't be left to free fly, as she will eventually become predator meal. Pigeons are safer in numbers, also. We never had any predators around here either when we first got pigeons, until around a few months later, then the hawks moved in our area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Skyeking, thanks for your help!

She doesn't have any band - the local pigeon people say she is probably one of those birds they release at weddings and funerals, and just hasn't made her way back home. She can't come inside for various reasons, and we can only raise the hutch by a few bricks' worth (30cm, maybe?).

I work from home and go out and chat to her while I have my breaks. I'm not fluent in pigeon, but better than nothing, right?!

The hutch is quite nice and I think it's perfect, apart from the height. She's looking rougher than when she first arrived, although she seems happy and is eating/drinking/pooping well (!). Do you think I should shut her in at night? She would be safe, warm and dry, at least.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please post a picture of the bird and the rabbit hutch. Are you not able to find a home with local pigeon people?

Pigeons will try to act like they are fine when they are sick as a protection from hawks. If she is looking rough, she needs some human intervention as she may have a health issue, or her needs are not being met. .

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
As Sky mentioned, if she is looking rough, she could be ill, or some other issue. She shouldn't be out flying alone. She will eventually get grabbed by a hawk, especially being white, she stands out. The poor thing could have been used for release, and may have no where to go. You are worried about locking her up at night, but you don't seem to realize that she isn't safe during the day time either. Birds like that don't know how to take care of themselves, or how to avoid predators.
Pictures of the bird, and the enclosure would be helpful. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts