Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a wild pigeon that was attacked by a cat, well actually my neighbors did and they gave the bird to me because their dog kept scaring it... Its injured wing appears to have healed badly as it cannot raise it much at all or fly but it is a very friendly feral that eats and drinks well. However today he tangled his feet on some hair and as I was untangling him I noticed a massive black crust underneath its bad wing that smells horrible.

I am from a third world country and we dont really have avian vets here, what can I do for the little guy?

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
How long has he been with you? Cat saliva is deadly for birds, he will need antibiotics. Can you get Betamox capsules (500 mg amoxycillin) from a pharmacy? You can empty the capsule and divide the powder until you have heaps of 40 mg each. That's the amount an adult pigeon needs. He will need 40 mg twice a day for 7 to 10 days. You can moist a small piece of bread, cover with the powder and put deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. You can also rinse the wound with saline water and put some betadine on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long has he been with you? Cat saliva is deadly for birds, he will need antibiotics. Can you get Betamox capsules (500 mg amoxycillin) from a pharmacy? You can empty the capsule and divide the powder until you have heaps of 40 mg each. That's the amount an adult pigeon needs. He will need 40 mg twice a day for 7 to 10 days. You can moist a small piece of bread, cover with the powder and put deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. You can also rinse the wound with saline water and put some betadine on.
I'll try to look for the medicine tomorrow, the bird has been with us for about two weeks and he was with my neighbor for a similar amount of time before that... Will the saline solution help dissolve the crust? It concerns me that its hardness might be interfering with the wound healing... He has also been pooping watery green which I heard wasnt normal

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
The crust will eventually fall off. A while ago I had a laughing dove with this hard infected crust on the breast. I just gave antibiotics for a week and kept on cleaning the area with saline water and betadine. After about 2 weeks the crust fall off and he was perfectly healed underneath. I'm surprised he survived so far without antibiotics. You can also add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help with digestion and keeping the good gut bacteria in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crust will eventually fall off. A while ago I had a laughing dove with this hard infected crust on the breast. I just gave antibiotics for a week and kept on cleaning the area with saline water and betadine. After about 2 weeks the crust fall off and he was perfectly healed underneath. I'm surprised he survived so far without antibiotics. You can also add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help with digestion and keeping the good gut bacteria in place.
Ok thank you bery much, I have bought the medicine and will begin the treatment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts