Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but since the information was sorta split between two different threads, I just wanted to put my experience with PigeonFarms.com here for all to see so any other new members like me will maybe see this and be dissuaded from making my same mistake.

I'm a first-time bird owner, and I fell in love with Exhibition Homers and how they look, so I was very excited to start hunting for breeders. However, before I ever came across this forum, the only breeder I could find anywhere in the US was PigeonFarms.com

I did feel it was strange that I couldn't visit the loft to take a look at the birds in person, especially since I live only an hour away from them, but since this was the only breeder of Ex. Homers I could find, I ignored the red flags and contacted them to make a deal for just one pair.

I asked for photos, and after some delay, and him telling me it was because it was cloudy outside and he couldn't get decent pictures, the man texted me a few. I thought that they were of the actual birds he owned, they were Ex. Homers, and very beautiful, so I went ahead and made my order and sent out the money order.

It wasn't until after that, when I was just browsing google images for pictures of Ex. Homers (because I just love to look at them and save my favorite photos) I happened across one of them that had been texted to me. When I followed the link to the website, it was from a completely different site. This set off alarms, so I dug through more images for quite some time, and wound up finding 3 more images hosted on other sites that I had been shown.

Of course, by then, he already had my money, but the birds hadn't been shipped yet. So I texted him to confront him with the fact that I found the images, and he just said he couldn't get good photos and sent me examples, instead, and insisted that his pigeons looked just like the ones he showed me. After thinking on it for a while, and not feeling right about things, I texted to ask for an immediate refund.

He called me after that, and spun a story about how he could give me a refund, but that it would be a long process and it would take weeks for me to get my money back. I asked why, and he just said it was a lot of paperwork for his business. I honestly don't know why getting a refund would be so difficult, but I'm sure he would have dragged his feet either way. So I gave in and said to just go ahead and ship the birds to me.

Of course, when they first arrived, I was very excited, even though I immediately noticed that they didn't look quite right. I looked through pictures of Ex. Homers again, just to be certain, and sure enough my birds wound up being English Show Homers, and not Ex. Homers at all. On top of that, they were sneezing and underweight, and I worried they might be sick, so I took a trip to the vet to get them checked out.

$200 later, it turns out they both tested positive for a microscopic type of parasite in their stool. Thankfully, they're fairly easy to treat, but it still means I received underweight birds with parasites that were not the type I paid for, who show physical evidence of likely being contained in cages their whole lives rather than being allowed to fly. I'm only grateful that parasites are the only thing wrong with them.

I texted the breeder to let him know how unhappy I was, and was met with hostility and a refusal to refund me or even an offer to exchange the birds for the right kind (not that I would want an exchange, as I'm certain any other birds I got would also have parasites if not more things wrong with them). He even accused me of doing something to make the birds sick, and claimed they were in perfect health when he shipped them, as well as insisted that they are Ex. Homers, as if I don't know the difference.

By the time I get their treatment completed, and another fecal test done to confirm the parasites are gone, I will have spent upwards of $600+ on just these two birds, who aren't even the kind I love and wanted so badly. I don't resent the birds, not one bit. They had no control over where they came from, or the poor care they were given before they came to me, and I'm doing everything I can to take good care of them until I decide whether to keep them or try and trade or sell them once they're healthy.

I really wish I had listened to my gut, and never dealt with this breeder.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry to hear your experience there. I know nothing about the place you bought it from, but consider it an expensive lesson learned. There are so many good people in this hobby, but like anything there are those that are scam artists. There are also those that may just not know (like the difference between exhibition homers and English Show homers), and some mistakes may be legitimate, but in your case sounds like a lot of red flags.
The few times I have bought or sold birds (or occasionally plants or fish) I have always shown pictures of the EXACT birds (or other) I was selling....usually from a couple angles. I have my birds banded and let them know how old the bird is. If old enough to be sexed I let them know the sex, and if not I will say I don't know or if I am thinking it is a particular sex I will let them know that but that it is not for sure. I will also let them know the color and any interesting genetics the particular bird may carry (and chance of it carrying) if known. I usually give the birds a treatment to remove parasites and worms, just to be sure, about a week prior to shipping. I let them buyer know that my birds are not vaccinated for Salmonella or PMV in case they wish to do so....they are healthy leaving my hands.
Any person seriously into a particular breed will be happy to talk about their breed of interest. It is a hobby and usually they are interested in having others get into and enjoy their breed of interest. "Feather merchants" don't care and are just buying and selling birds. I would do further searches on the internet and even facebook for your breed of interest, and try to find a few good breeders. Also use the search on this forum for your breed of interest I am sure some older threads will pop up and give you some leads.
BTW IF you know what parasites or diseases you are dealing with, you can buy most pigeon medications online and treat them yourself. Once you have healthy birds.....if you give them good conditions (good variety of fresh clean food, good grit, clean water, sunshine and fresh air........don't crowd them and don't bring in new birds from other sources they should stay very healthy and rarely if ever need treatment. Enjoy your birds and this great hobby!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this post. I used to raise rollers and recently have been looking to get back into the hobby. I too am looking for show racers and can only find them on pigeon farms. They sounded a bit fishy since they want a money order and you're not allowed to visit the loft or even pick your birds. I think I'll look elsewhere now. Thanks so much for your post!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thank you for sharing this Streetwise.

Gosh! what a terrible experiance! Esp. since you are new to the hobby and was so enthusiastic :(

Lots of $$ wasted, but more than that, lots of hopes and expectations killed.

I wish you Good Luck with you new birds, I hope they give you some pleasure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts