Pigeon-Talk banner

Pigeons 1st egg.. Aggressive toward sibling!

898 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Vanore 
#1 ·
Ok so my birds are 5-6months old. I have had them since they was around 5-7ish days old. They have always been together. My oldest just laid her 1st egg last night. I do not know the sex of the other one. He/she is accouple day younger. My oldest is being a bit aggressive toward the youngest. Chasing Him/her around the cage an pecking an biting him/her. I'm not really sure what to do. I know that the male helps take care of the egg. So ima take a guess an say that my youngest is maybe also female. And i'm guessing that the egg is also infertile. Do I take the infertile egg out? Will this stop her aggressive behavior? Any help would be great!! Thank you!

#2 ·
If they are both female then you need to have enough space for them to both have a nest. If you get rid of the egg fertile or infertile, you need to replace it with a fake egg. If you don’t then this could lead to constant egg laying which is bad for the females. You should make sure they have plenty of access to calcium supplements.
The other hen will need to learn her place, or you might need to separate them if the cage doesn’t have enough room for both of them and things get extremely violent because this is going to be a continuous conflict. Most will learn to leave things alone.

#3 ·
If they are both female then you need to have enough space for them to both have a nest. If you get rid of the egg fertile or infertile, you need to replace it with a fake egg. If you don’t then this could lead to constant egg laying which is bad for the females. You should make sure they have plenty of access to calcium supplements.
The other hen will need to learn her place, or you might need to separate them if the cage doesn’t have enough room for both of them and things get extremely violent because this is going to be a continuous conflict. Most will learn to leave things alone.
Thank you for the info! She has seemed to calm down a bit today she not as aggressive as she was yesterday toward her sibling. and thank you for in info on the eggs! Didn't know they would lay more if you took them! Thank you! You was very helpful! Also also I do have 2 nest spots in the cage an the cage I believe is plenty big they have 3 different perch levels :) Thank you again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.