Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do pigeons just have the hardware in their brains to know how much grit to eat? Should it be offered at all times or just occasionally? Also, is oyster shell a good additive to the grit. I love grits, but ours are a little different. I like mine with a little bacon! True Question. Randy

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
There are certain meds that you have to pull the grit, not sure what meds, smarter people than I will know. I keep grit in the loft at all times, My mentor tells me when to med the birds and when to pull the grit.
Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume your birds a healthy. Do they just know that grit is not food, but a digestive additive?

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Grit should be available at all times. and oyster shell is good too.

Only exception is as Dave mentions .. calcium in grit can bind some meds and prevent or inhibit their usefulness. One such is Baytril (maybe others - personally don't know what others). I believe that in fact it's more a case of not having grit available within a certain timescale of giving the meds, but for practical purposes best to just pull it - won't stop 'em digesting their food.

John

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do pigeons just have the hardware in their brains to know how much grit to eat? Should it be offered at all times or just occasionally? Also, is oyster shell a good additive to the grit. I love grits, but ours are a little different. I like mine with a little bacon! True Question. Randy
Thats a Good question, I dont know, and I wonder what kind of grit, mine walks around outside and in the patio picking up tiny specks of something like imaginary rocks that I cant see,,Oh and I like bacon with mine also

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it is used to grind the food in the gizzard. some grits and pickstones come with minerals which grains lack so pigeons really need them and therefore attracted to them, esp when they need the extra, how they know? only mother nature or their creator knows...lol... the oyster shell should be seperate, as this is for calcium which most grain feed lacks, this is very important to breeder and growing squabs, if you can't get it then putting an additive in the water is a must.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know with human meds that tetracycline is one that should not be taken with calcium. Not sure if that is a typical pij med.

I like my grits with molasses. Once I put a block of grits on my car hood to see how fast I had to go before it fell off. It only made it to about 35mph.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I know with human meds that tetracycline is one that should not be taken with calcium. Not sure if that is a typical pij med.

I like my grits with molasses. Once I put a block of grits on my car hood to see how fast I had to go before it fell off. It only made it to about 35mph.
Meds that end in "cycline"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, that's just the mid-west in ya! Four years in the military. all in the south and mid-Atlantic and you'll love yer grits. I will move there one day. N. Cal is great but the South is calling. I loved it there. VA. and NC. That's the time period I missed my pigeons the most. I'll never be without for now on!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm sorry, but I never liked grits. Maybe because I'm a Northerner? I remember visiting someone in the South and they gave me some. Eeeeyuck! Made me think that I was eating rocks.

I guess I'll always be a Yank. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Garye, try grits with more salt than the box calls for. I'm CA. born and raised and never heard of a grit until I joined the army. The cook slopped a huge spoonful on my plate then put bacon on top. I've been hooked since! My feed store's oyster shell looks a little large for a pigeon. There are lots of oysters here, maybe I could grind up my own, if the birds don't mind Rockafeller sauce mixed in? :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ya'll are making me hungry with all this talk of grits and bacon and oatmeal and honey on biscuits (which is YUMMYYY) :eek: :D

Most oyster shell you find in the store will be pretty big chunks since it's most commonly used for chickens. If it's too big, you try wrapping some up in a rag and crushing it up with a hammer.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Tried that. Not that easy. I finally found some small oyster shell at an Agway about 30 minutes from where I live.

You can also buy oyster shell meal at N.E. Pigeon Supply. You sprinkle a teaspoon over a pound of grit.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Tried that. Not that easy. I finally found some small oyster shell at an Agway about 30 minutes from where I live.

You can also buy oyster shell meal at N.E. Pigeon Supply. You sprinkle a teaspoon over a pound of grit.
I think they carry it for chick chickens, so it is small, but it comes in a small bag that is as almost as much as the 50lb of regular crused oyster shell. of course the small cantainer that kaytee sells, hi-cal grit......

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I was lucky. They sell it by the pound, as many pounds as you want, and it wasn't much at all. The kaytee hi-cal grit is kinda tiny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts