Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I Found two BABY PIGEONS i Guess about 8 DAYS old (just a Guess) on a BRIDGE, about 40 DAYS AGO i have researched and Found that both of them should be Full Grown but are not and still have balds spots? i am worried could be sick? i started them on formula when i Found them (the KAYTEE exact formula) and weaned them about a week or so on KAYTEE supreme blend Dove Food (recommended)
i am new to this and would Love some advice on how to take care of them THE RIGHT WAY! i LOVE them and would be so upset if i Lost them, since i have takin care of them since Little babes, Please help me i will take all the Help i can Get!
few questions:
should i Free Feed them? don't want them to over Feed?
how to bath them?
what i should Feed them?
i want them indoors? CAGE size or TYPE?
WHY so bald and small?
Thank You!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hi,
Welcome to pigeon talk.
Thanks for taking care of these baby pigeons.

Yes you can keep seeds available for them all the time because they are growing up. They will eat as much as they need. Normally pigeons are fed twice a day.

Just keep a large dish of water near them, they will bathe themselves when they like.

You can buy pigeon /dove seed mix from any pet store, that will be nutritious for them.

It should be a large cage( with a flat perch to roost) where they can stretch and flap their wings without hurting themselves. Also they should be opened in room for flying and exercise etc for some hours.

For bald patches they should be treated for canker. They should grow all the feathers at this age, if they don't, it could be because of canker. Also a pic of bald areas would help.
If you can get metronidazole (medicine to treat canker) pls write us the strength so we can tell about dosage and how to treat them. You can even buy fish zole from tropical fish stores but make sure it has only metronidazole in it and no other medicines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi KIDDY,
Thank You so much for Your response!
i have seed out full time at the moment i do Get worried because one does seem as tho he/she over eats, if that is possible? as he/she's crop Gets VERY full that's Y i asked.
also can canker kill them? i am worried about that, i also can Get some of the medication in 250 MG, i read that cut in half and then cut the half in half and feed a quarter to them, is that correct? Also would it be Ok to just open up and drop it in? (use to me feedin them)
and i am not comfortable with takin them to a vet at the moment so i hope the forum will help me. Also what do You think about PIGEON PANTS? for freedom of the house.

Thank You so much for Your time and help!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
When they eat by themselves, they eat as much as they can digest. I hope they are totally weaned and not on you for additional feed?

Yes, canker kills them when advances so we treat them on initial signs if they show any. Bald patches are mostly because of canker in youngsters, their feather growth retards because of high trichomonads (protozoa responsible for canker) count so they are recommended to be treated for canker on this initial symptom so it doesn't grow further.

Yes if you can get 250 mg, 1/8 of pill will be the dosage once daily for 8-10 days. You will have to feed them first and give the pill orally down the throat and let them swallow, exactly as you hand feed them. Feeding is necessary because it causes them vomit on empty stomachs sometimes. If they still vomit, give a drop of pepto bismol 10-15 minutes before metronidazole.

People use pigeon pants but I don't because I think it is not natural as well as comfortable for them. I too keep my birds in my room and keep cleaning/mopping the floor but I still avoid pigeon pants thinking of their comfotablility. It is just my opinion because I think a lot :)

I have many toys for human kids in my room, in just one my baby pigeon was interested which was a rattle ball, rest no one ever tried them. They are all busy in themselves. Someone else can give you better ideas of toys who actually use them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
one more question is there a chance PIGEONS PLAY WITH TOYS? if so what kind should i Get them?
my two play with toys. they like anything that its brightly multi colored and textured, and if the mood strikes, sometimes they go for the one with a bell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi KIDDY, both are TOTALLY weaned, feed and drink themselves, i will have them on the medication Later, and Thank You for the information! i will make sure there is food in the crop before i Give it to them. i asked about the pants because i have carpet Lol but would Love for them to be able to explore around the house. i will Feel a lot better when i have them on the meds but i do feel a bit better now that i have talked to someone that has PIGEONS i was worried i would screw up! Thank You so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi WIGGLES AND PUDDLES, Thank You so much for Your response! do u have ANY SUGGESTIONS TOY wise? some Links on amazon or walmart perhaps? would be GREATLY appreciated! (as i am new to bird in General) Thank You!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hi KIDDY, both are TOTALLY weaned, feed and drink themselves, i will have them on the medication Later, and Thank You for the information! i will make sure there is food in the crop before i Give it to them. i asked about the pants because i have carpet Lol but would Love for them to be able to explore around the house. i will Feel a lot better when i have them on the meds but i do feel a bit better now that i have talked to someone that has PIGEONS i was worried i would screw up! Thank You so much!
When I had them in a room with carpet, I had to cover it all with bedsheets. Thankfully in my room there are no carpets and I keep them there comfortably. I still have to cover couch, bedding etc. to avoid them messing up with it all :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi KIDDY, i have had MY birds on metro for the 10 DAYS one of them is MUCH better and is almost FULLY feathered, but MY other bird is still bald around her head im not sure WHY should i put her back on meds for another 10 DAYS? poop Looks Great except a few tend to Get a bit water Like.... ANY advice would be Great! Thank You!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pictures of the birds would really help.
And you can leave feed with them all day. They won't over eat. They need a lot as they are growing. People usually only feed twice a day when they are trying to control them, so that when they let them out to fly, they can get them back in. Kept as pets there is no reason to do that.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Yes pls post a pic of the bird.
When the 10 days treatment of metronidazole was over? It takes some time after the treatment for feathers to come in.

·
Registered
899 Posts
are you giving them calcium+vit d3?? they need it, to grow feathers. give them calcium and wait for a few days to see improvements

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
For calcium supplement you need to buy calcium which has D3 in it.
Calciboost you can get there or calcivet. Look for it at pigeon supply stores or pet stores. You can buy it online.

When metronidazole treatment was over?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Those are vitamins, arent they? That isn't a calcium and vitamin D3 supplement.
I didn't even see calcium or vit. D3 listed in them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.