Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the school I go too, there are always so many feral pigeons everywhere. Usually in the morning when it's cold, I see pigeons fly into the building I have most of my lessons and they manage to get into the classrooms through a large gap at the ceiling.
Sometimes in the middle of class, I would hear sounds and look up, only to find a pigeon laying on one of the panels that hang from the ceiling. Or when I look out the window at the hallway, I would see a pigeon walking around.
Recently a pigeon couple managed to get into a metal tunnel cage thing that's supposed to hold wires in. They were making really loud noises and one of them dropped something from the ceiling onto a desk. Everyone was freaking out thinking a pigeon pooped, but it was just a plastic cable tie.
I always find that the same pigeons tend to hang out in the same area. My friends and I have always seen this pigeon with a lump of its neck, always near a certain set of stairs, but never anywhere else in the school.
There is another my friends and I always see, that I suspect to be from a breeder, but somehow managed to escape.
It looks completely different from all the other pigeons in the area.
This pigeon, who is likely to be a male since I always see it try to show off to other pigeons. First of all, is much larger than the rest of the pigeons, it is fully black, and has a white tail as well at white legs.

This pigeon is the only pigeon I've seen that I have seen trying to impress females. It puffs up its neck and fans out its tail, then follows another pigeon. It's really funny to watch honestly.
It looks a lot like this:

I've always been really fascinated with pigeons. They seem so much more diverse than most other species of birds.
Sorry if this was boring to read, I just really wanted to share my experiences with pigeons at my school. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi c0lumbidae, and welcome to PT. It was nice of you to share and I enjoyed reading it. You are right of course, that there is a lot of diversity in pigeons. So many different kinds. Different breeds and different colors. They can be fun to keep. They are also very smart birds. Maybe some day you will be able to keep some of your own. They have won medals during war. Have you ever seen the video of the pigeon figuring out how to reach a hanging banana? How is the link to that video. Think you will enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDntbGRPeEU

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Your post was far from boring cOlumbidae, it was captivating and very uplifting to see the interest you have in pigeons as they really are super birds. Made me laugh about the panic caused over a cable tie in case it was poop :D I can picture it well. It's lovely to know that your school tolerates it's pigeon community as so many establishments won't and use awful methods to get rid of them. Would be a great idea to study them as a project, I'm sure the students would find them interesting and also gain an insight into how observant and clever they are. I love my seven indoor pigeons, could sit with them all day and watch how they interact with each other, the males are so macho and each has his own landing spots and give chase if another male sits there, unless he's lucky enough for it to be a lady and then the dancing starts - while the females will willingly share with each other.
It would be nice if you came on and shared your stories more often and also even better if you could have a pair of your own someday. Thanks for your post, it made me smile and thanks for taking an interest in these adorable birds.

Jay I loved that video, what a clever pidge, perhaps I should train my new girl to work for her treats.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Freda, that would be cute. I can just see you doing that. If you do I want a video. LOL.
I agree with you that cOlumbidae's story was very uplifting.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
cOlombidae, love your story. And Jay3, loved the pigeon solving the banana problem. I am always amazed by how smart pigeons are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts