Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone have trouble with USPS taking more than 3 days to deliver live pigeons?

I ordered some pigeons from a member of this forum last week, she sent them out on monday and they are still not here. It is now Thursday night almost Friday morning. I have not recieved a phone call from the post office and the tracking says that they are on their way to destination. I have contacted the seller and she has made some phone calls and said that they told her the birds are on their way. My fear is that the birds are dead.

Anyone has faced any similar situations? I'm really worried, anyone have any advise on what to do? Should I just get my money back?

I kind of feel like USPS should pay me the money that I paid for the birds and shippment back to me.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Has anyone have trouble with USPS taking more than 3 days to deliver live pigeons?

I ordered some pigeons from a member of this forum last week, she sent them out on monday and they are still not here. It is now Thursday night almost Friday morning. I have not recieved a phone call from the post office and the tracking says that they are on their way to destination. I have contacted the seller and she has made some phone calls and said that they told her the birds are on their way. My fear is that the birds are dead.

Anyone has faced any similar situations? I'm really worried, anyone have any advise on what to do? Should I just get my money back?

I kind of feel like USPS should pay me the money that I paid for the birds and shippment back to me.

Suggestions?
Why not wait until the birds actually show up. I don't know what, if any, recourse you might have. The only advise I have, is to meet the birds at the USPO, call them and advise to call you when they show up. Show up, open boxes in front of USPS employee. Then take a dropper and water and get that into them ASAP. I doubt they will starve in four days, most birds are overweight anyway. But, the dehydration is something to be concerned about. The shipper will get the postage back, but may end up needing to replace the birds. August is a dangerous month to ship pigeons. I personally would not do it. I don't see the USPS as having any liability to you, as you did not ship the birds.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The heat makes it dangerous.
There is a tracking number for these birds. The person sending them to you should have given it to you. If you don't have it, get it from them first thing in the morning. Call your post office and tell them to find your birds. The birds may be at the PO waiting for you to pick them up. Generally, the PO does not home deliver birds.
Honestly, if there is any hope at all...you must get on this in the morning. Don't wait around for them to contact you.... be pro-active.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heat makes it dangerous.
There is a tracking number for these birds. The person sending them to you should have given it to you. If you don't have it, get it from them first thing in the morning. Call your post office and tell them to find your birds. The birds may be at the PO waiting for you to pick them up. Generally, the PO does not home deliver birds.
Honestly, if there is any hope at all...you must get on this in the morning. Don't wait around for them to contact you.... be pro-active.
I have the tracking number and have been looking online at the tracking updates. I went to the post office this morning and they said that they didn't have any live animal packages. The sender contact someone from usps and they said that the package was sent from Wis. to St. Louis back north to Chicago and supposedly is now on it's way to Colorado.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Go back to the PO in the morning ...be polite but firm. Ask who can help you get your birds. Live animals are suppose to go by air. From what you have told us it almost sound like they are traveling by truck. I know they can resolve this tomorrow but you will have to stay on them.
I know because it happened to me the very first time I mailed birds. They ended up in the wrong distribution center and no one could find them. I contacted the individual with whom I had made the reservation. I was nice but firm. I told him to find the birds and if he didn't I was going to come out and sit in his office until he did. The birds were located within 20 minutes. Never once was I mean but I was firm and absolute in what I expected of them. You must do the same because if you don't...
I did go back and read your first post and realize that you do have the tracking number.This whole mailing thing, especially this time of the year, is one of those things that pushes all my buttons. Can you just fathom how terrified those birds must be?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I suggest you go to your local post office - speak to the Post Master and stay with him untill he finds the birds and takes steps to have them rescued where ever they may be. The need water. I'd include the local news and congress if no action was taken immediately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all you help. The birds finally arrived this morning and I picked them up from the USPO. All four were a live. I gave them some water from a dropper and put some food and fresh water out infront of them. They seem to be doing a little better now that they've been able to eat and drink as much as they want for about 8 hours now. I didn't get the chance to ask the USPS why it took so long because my main concern was to get the birds home. I'm still kind of wondering why it took so long....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Glad your birds made it, I too have had a situation similar to yours...i called and was assured the trucks were air conditioned in which they were traveling on, and if for some reason they were left at the post office overnight it was air conditioned also. Now i dont know about the airplane but this is what i was told.
Now here in my area there is a 24 hr pick up USPS office, usually if my birds arrived at night they would call me, i have picked my birds up at 1am before. If you should get birds shipped again, i would call the post office and see if there is a 24 hr pick up station and request to be called when they arrive, it gave me alot of peace of mind... i remember.the first time i had birds shipped i was freaked out to say the least LOL!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Thanks for all you help. The birds finally arrived this morning and I picked them up from the USPO. All four were a live. I gave them some water from a dropper and put some food and fresh water out infront of them. They seem to be doing a little better now that they've been able to eat and drink as much as they want for about 8 hours now. I didn't get the chance to ask the USPS why it took so long because my main concern was to get the birds home. I'm still kind of wondering why it took so long....
Glad they made it !!! :) I would seek out a refund on the postage if you paid for shipping.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I agree 4 days is way to much to let it slide ;)
The delivery time is guaranteed. If's it's not there, on time, it's free. It has happened to me several times. Need the copy of the express shipping bill, and they will refund on the spot. In this case, the shipper paid the bill. If the buyer paid specifically for shipping, he is entitled to a refund. If he bought birds with "free shipping" then he gets no refund.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The delivery time is guaranteed. If's it's not there, on time, it's free. It has happened to me several times. Need the copy of the express shipping bill, and they will refund on the spot. In this case, the shipper paid the bill. If the buyer paid specifically for shipping, he is entitled to a refund. If he bought birds with "free shipping" then he gets no refund.
Can the shipper get the refund?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts