Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will explain the situation in more details later today. But please suggest any useful tips as this can save many pigeons life. A cage has been placed in an urban park on thursday (asian time). It is not until today (Saturday) that my friend responsible for feeding that flock discovered. A janitor working in that park told her that 12 pigeons and a whole cage full of pigeons were trapped on Thursday and Friday respectively.

The cage is placed by the government department. It will be an offence if we remove or destroy it. The only thing we can do is to deter the pigeons from being trapped or approaching the cage. How can we do:confused: We have applied water mixed with pepper and chilly sauce and sprayed it around the cage. Hope that the spicy taste can make the pigeons feel uncomfortable to deter them from being trapped....Do anyone have similar experience before and are there any measures I can take (ie anything around the cage) to avoid the birds from trapped:confused:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
OK. Thanks for caring.

First of all....tell everyone you know who feeds there to STOP feeding there. If there is another place nearby they can put the food instead, away from the park...do that. Try to draw the pigeons away from the area of trapping.

I suppose it would be too risky to disable the traps so they do not work. I know that...urine....is a deterrent for small mammals, but I do not know if it would do anything to deter Pigeons.

Also, fake predators like plastic owls or hawks, which would need to be moved every few days.

I think more would have to be done to the bait than pepper water....

I think if other members here collectively put our heads together and think of ways we have seen people deter pigeons from a location, we can come up with some more ideas.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
How is the trap? May be you can put some branches in front of the trap so pigeons don't get in.
And yes, important is that pigeons move from that area. No more food around the trap area.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Unfortunately pepper and chilly sauce won't bother the birds a bit, as they don't have the taste bud receptors to even notice it. It will be hot to mammals, but not birds. They love chilly pepper seeds.
If you simply feed them in another place, they will still go back to where they are used to being fed, and if the cage is the only place where there is seed, then it seems that they would be more likely to go into the cage. Not sure what the answer is. You can try feeding them farther and farther from the trap slowly, so that they will follow the change of place, but that will take time. And then too, they would probably just move the cage to the new location where they know birds are feeding.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Possibly if you get what hunters use for attracting predators. Coyotes or fox urine. Spray it around the cage and this may keep them away because of the smell. Also a owl decoy near by will scare them away

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the trap? May be you can put some branches in front of the trap so pigeons don't get in.
And yes, important is that pigeons move from that area. No more food around the trap area.
I will take some photos and show here to illustrate what the trap is like. There are some translucent plates in the entrance which can be only pushed in but not the reverse direction. So if pigeons got into the cage, since pigeons only know how to push but not pull, they cannot go out. Putting something to obstruct the way is not a feasible solution. The security guards in the park patrol frequently and clear anything that hinder the effectiveness of the cage. If we put branches to disable the cage, and the devil comes and throw away the branches, that will be futile. The devil station here all day long, but we cannot station there from morning to night.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. Thanks for caring.

First of all....tell everyone you know who feeds there to STOP feeding there.

I suppose it would be too risky to disable the traps so they do not work. I know that...urine....is a deterrent for small mammals, but I do not know if it would do anything to deter Pigeons.

Also, fake predators like plastic owls or hawks, which would need to be moved every few days.

I think more would have to be done to the bait than pepper water....
Yes we clear the bait. They are very clever to put green peas as the bait, which the pgis are most favourite of. What we are doing now is to feed the flock as full as possible. In the past, we dont feed them 100% full. Now we feed as much as they are willing to eat. Hope that when they are not hungry anymore, they will not wander into the cage.

I will try urine.

Fake predators wont help. They will be cleared away instantly.

We have already stopped feeding there long before the cage was placed. We have moved the feeding to a steep slope next to the park a year ago. But you know...pgis love to hang around the place where they used to be. When we conduct feeding, they go to the slope. But during other time, they love to hang in the park as there are trees, pavilions, bushes, ponds and water. So the devil put the life-taking device in their perfect habitat.

And then too, they would probably just move the cage to the new location where they know birds are feeding.
What we can only do at this stage is to patrol the park more frequently and closely monitor if they are moving the cage or even installing several new ones at adjacent places.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
This is terrible. You have your work cut out for you, that's for sure. Good luck with this. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I may sound a bit paranoid. Do the authorities read what we write?
We were talking about some Pox spreading to pigeons. Could this be the reason? Is the pox so visible that they decided to trap the pigeons?

How is Hon? Is he safe?
You stay safe too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trapping pigeons

What City or State is this going on in? In Henderson/Las Vegas Nevada they were trying to pass a law that feeding pigeons would cause you to go to jail. We beat that law. So now they will issue you a $500.00 find for feeding them.

Fancy and homing pigeons are (with bands) are not allowed to be killed. So, I purchased bands and put hundreds of bands on feral pigeons.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
What City or State is this going on in? In Henderson/Las Vegas Nevada they were trying to pass a law that feeding pigeons would cause you to go to jail. We beat that law. So now they will issue you a $500.00 find for feeding them.

Fancy and homing pigeons are (with bands) are not allowed to be killed. So, I purchased bands and put hundreds of bands on feral pigeons.
It's happening in Hong Kong.

Cool the idea of banding the feral pigeons. But i would think there are not registered bands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pigeon trapping

That's a hard nut to crack. What I did in another City was put 25 lbs of pigeon food on the City Hall steps. What a mess for people trying to come to work.

By the way, your area has a collection of the most expensive Homing Pigeon in the world for racing. Ask the trappers to give you all the banded pigeons. Some of them are worth more the $5,000.00 American dollars

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's a hard nut to crack. What I did in another City was put 25 lbs of pigeon food on the City Hall steps. What a mess for people trying to come to work.

By the way, your area has a collection of the most expensive Homing Pigeon in the world for racing. Ask the trappers to give you all the banded pigeons. Some of them are worth more the $5,000.00 American dollars
There are no banded pigeons. They are all ferals. And if you band them, the numbers should be registered with a club.

By the way: i liked you seed spill on the City hall steps:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to assume you have a pigeon problem

Okay, we have the same problems in Las Vegas. Another thing I am doing is, I raise Wedding Doves (Homing Pigeons) I keep a small flock. However, I take the extra birds to the Las Vegas strip and release them. They mixed with the feral birds creating a lot of White Pigeons that people enjoy looking at. To day I have released about 40. I work in the area so I see them often.

People like pretty pigeons. Why don't you guys raise White Pigeons and release them in the area so that you would get public support

·
Registered
255 Posts
bands don't protect too much

The live poultry stores in Flushing (New York City) where people buy wonderful bird specimens to cook them, I've seen not once, superb racing pigeons with bands on their legs horribly overcrowded in their mixture with all kind of pigeon breeds. The Chinese (Flushing being the little "China town" of New York City) have exotic cuisine tastes and a cruel way of keeping the caged birds* overcrowded before cutting their neck in front of the customer. Though fish is the only kind of meat I eat, I cannot buy alive fish from their stores, their way of crashing the poor creatures head making me sick.
So the only way of protecting as little as you can, the endangered pigeons in your park** is to watch and prevent, in person, their approaching the trap. In New York the comrades brought hawks and when I lived there I did the same thing I am doing here, in the woods: I personally scare the hawks. Only the law here is not to harass hawks, not pigeons. Your "harassing" pigeons will not be a law breaking. Check the exact city/town ordinance regarding right to feed, trap, kill wildlife. Beat the law with the law. And, Dima, yes, our readings are always read by the "third eye". Longlive, you and your friends, do a little research and find out if the trapped pigeons are not, in fact, source of some restaurants kitchens. In New York the "comrades" have a blind eye to the netters (vans with people trapping pigeons in their nets) who provide merchandise for Pennsylvania target practice, where, after days of being kept caged without food or water, pigeons are released in front of the "braves" Pennsylvania hunters who shoot them for fun. Those who die are the happiest, the remaining, weakened by hunger or young, are crashed in pieces by the children of the hunters with bats. The matriarch and patriarch of my little flock were two escapees from such a slaughter 5 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Band Racing Homers

The reason Racing Homers are in the chicken market is because the owners don't want other flyers to have them and use the young ones to race against them. I use to buy many of my Racing Homers from the market Alive.
You can make it work for you. Racing Homers cost from $60.00 up to and more then $5,000.00 per bird depending on the bird.
I don't know how much the market would charge you to buy the bird alive, but you then can post the sale on craig list and make a lot of money selling them across the country to people that want them.
I wish we had a market here in Las Vegas. I would buy them all and get rich doing it. I would keep all the whites and rent out for Weddings. Think about it

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
For the traps, I still am unclear on why you cannot disable the doors without making it seem as obvious as having a branch stick out of the cage. I would think that a piece of wire or something would be very subtle.

Try the urine. Move to feces if you have to. Again I am unsure as to how avians react to markings like that, though.

Keep clearing the food. The other suggestion I would have would be to make the trap seem scary to the Pigeons by perhaps banging on it when they are near it.

I am trying to think of what prevents a flock from returning to a certain spot. What scares them sufficiently to do so ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Feed the pigeons in a spot not controlled by government

Pigeons will keep going to a spot that they know has food. So, locate a new spot away from the park. Pigeons come from miles around for food and then go back to rest or take care of their young.

I've done it several times. It works. If you had access to a roof top, that would be better.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
The reason Racing Homers are in the chicken market is because the owners don't want other flyers to have them and use the young ones to race against them. I use to buy many of my Racing Homers from the market Alive.
You can make it work for you. Racing Homers cost from $60.00 up to and more then $5,000.00 per bird depending on the bird.
I don't know how much the market would charge you to buy the bird alive, but you then can post the sale on craig list and make a lot of money selling them across the country to people that want them.
I wish we had a market here in Las Vegas. I would buy them all and get rich doing it. I would keep all the whites and rent out for Weddings. Think about it
You do have to be careful selling on Craigs list too, as some want the birds for other reasons than good.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts