Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would never have thought this - but better to believe.
Yesterday in the afternoon we had our usual nap and I woke up, hearing the babies squeaking. I assumed that they were being fed. I got up but did not check the nest immediately because I thought everything is okay. I only saw in a blink that a foreign pigeon came from the nest but did not think anything bad yet. Sometimes they are just curious - but sometimes not :( . But this I did not know at that point.

I talked to my sister for a while on the phone - still thinking that everything is okay - and after the call I checked the nest and discovered to my horror that Peppi, the older one had a small punture wound on his head that was bleeding and some more on the elbows of his little wings. Then I looked at Peppino, the smaller one and nearly got a shock :eek: - his little head was covered in blood, I saw several deep puncture wounds on his head, the blood was running into his eyes which he hardly could open, some more wounds on his wings but those were not as bad as the ones on his little head.

I immediately took both babies 10/11 days old out of the nest, put them on a paper towel and a warm water bottle and started to examine them both. Peppi seemed to be okay - he was feeping loudly - of course he had a shock. So I put him on a separate towel on the table. With trembling fingers I softly cleaned up little Peppino with a kleenex which I dipped in warm water and tried to remove as much of the encrusted blood to see how badly he has been injured. I cleaned up his beak that was encrusted with blood and all parts of the body where something was sticking.

First I thought his left eye was injured too because it looked blind and the eyelid was swollen. But after the cleaning he had a blank eye again. With a Q-tip I then disinfected all the wounds with Bach Flower Remedies Rescue drops, hoping that this would support the healing process. It does with humans - so why not with little pigeon babies. The wounds were still bleeding and again and again I tried to stop this . Eventually it did.

Also the sweet little guy realized that I wanted to help him and he stayed totally quiet, although the Rescue drops must have burned because it is alcohol. But he did not even whine a tiny bit.

The little head was all swollen up but at least he looked a little bit better after he could open his eyes again and moved around a bit. I had the feeling that he was not so in shock any more so I offered him a little water to drink - which he did. I held a tiny glass with a little water at the tip of his beak and he realized what is was - so he swallowed a little bit all by himself.

I cleaned the nest, put a kitchen towel in it because I did not want that a piece of hay would disturb him or get into his wounds. Now I had the dilemma whether I should put him back into the nest during the night with his momma or rather take him in. But as it was relatively warm outside, I thought it might be better if he was protected and comforted by his own mother - so I put the nest with both babies back where it belonged.

I was afraid that the wounds that had stopped bleeding would crack open again when he was fed by his parents but on the other hand I thought it might be better to bleed a little bit and get all the energy this little sweert guy could get from his parents. And so it hppened. He begged for food and ate - I took this as a good sign.

Every hour or so during the night I checked on the babies and was so relieved to realize that little Peppino probably would make it. It looked so hopeless yesterday and I was so terribly unhappy. After losing 2 babies in June this simply would have been too much. But after a good night's sleep the situation would be different - so I thought.

This morning I saw that Peppino was feeling much better. And although his little head was still swollen, also his eyelids a little bit, he seemed to be quite okay and was moving around quite a bit. Also he did quite a lot of poop - and this is really a good sign - isn't it? :p

I again cleaned his head with Bach Rescue drops and realized that the wounds were swollen but not as badly as yesterday and all were closed. So I assume that the healing process is in full operation. I only hope that the many blood has washed out all bacteria so that this little sweetheart does not get any infection.

I assume if tomorrow nothing has happened to the worse that the crisis has been overcome. I can only pray.

I can only assume what had happened: that a very aggressive cock was desperate to find a nest for the hen. So in a situtation where the babies were left alone this was the opportunity to take over and try to kill the babies. I have never heard of this behaviour before. DID YOU? At least not with pigeons. I know it from diurnal birds of prey but from pigeons or doves?

Foreign pigeons(apart from "our" family) which come to our balcony have always respected the nest and never tried to go into it, not to speak of taking it over. I am really shocked.

Do you have any advice for me what I should pay attention to regarding the wounds of little Peppino?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Yes, I've had it happen quite a few times. It's the one time I really feel disgust for my pigeons--it makes me so mad. :mad: You need to find the perpetrator and remove him from your loft, at least until the babies are older. In my experience when an aggressive cock wants a certain nest box he will keep trying to take it over.

Parents do the best job of feeding chicks so you should return them to the nest if at all possible. I've seen even terrible-looking scalp wounds heal completely. Only once have I actually lost a chick to scalping.

Fbirdie is right--aggression is partly genetic. If you have an adult cock bird that is doing this, you might want to consider finding another home for him, perhaps someone who just wants to keep a few pigeons and not raise them. Now I have had problems with young cocks who mellowed as they got older and never bothered anyone's babies again. I also have cocks that love babies and will go in and feed other birds' babies.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
The biggest worry is that the agressive bird will return and do more of the same.

Fbirdie...these are feral Pigeons on pigeonwriter's balcony.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charis - thank you very much. I just wanted to clear the misunderstanding as well.
FBirdie - thank you for the information - disgusting but nevertheless interesting. Those photos are terrible. Our little Peppino did not look that bad - thank heavens and he is really healing. I think when he's made through this night too - everything will be okay.

I am highly alert though and will keep an eye on each pigeon that is coming to our balcony at the moment and if necessary, every foreign one will be chased away with the water sprayer. I see no other possibility. I don't want to experience this nearly catastrophe ever again.

Btw - this is the nest on our balcony - not openly visible - only when pigeons are walking on the balcony floor and even then half of the opening is additionally covered by a piece of cardboard. So it was an extra bad incident.
Also the nest is not on the floor but standing on 2 boards inside of a big cardbox which is partially open in front.

In the meanwhile I have added a piece of nylon mesh in front of the opening so that the parents can slip through but you will not see much from outside.
Each day when the little guys become bigger it will be more difficult for another pigeon to attack the babies - I hope.:)

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I hope it all goes well for your balcony family and the bully bird stays away. I'm glad you were quick to notice and clean them up. I could never watch without intervening either.

L

·
0 Posts
yeah the scaulping thing is the most depressing thing about pigeons but it happens more then I care to think about :(

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The biggest worry is that the agressive bird will return and do more of the same.

Fbirdie...these are feral Pigeons on pigeonwriter's balcony.
I didn't understand, either. Thanks for clarifying. Makes it tougher to deal with, for sure. I'm kind of surprised...I thought this only happened in enclosed spaces. Guess I was wrong!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't understand, either. Thanks for clarifying. Makes it tougher to deal with, for sure. I'm kind of surprised...I thought this only happened in enclosed spaces. Guess I was wrong!
I have never heard of this behaviour ever in my life about pigeons before. That's why I was so shocked and could hardly believe my eyes.
But I can tell you now that Peppino is healing very well and apparently he has the worst behind him. Will post pics soon again!

The behaviour of the parents has changed dramatically: they are present all the time now - at least one of them. They seem to know what had happened...

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
HELLO PIGEONWRITER. Sorry about PEPPI and PEPPINO but I am glad to hear that they are coming around.I took the time to read some of the stories you have written about your birds, and I must say you have a skill about writing about your birds keep it up.I would hope that others go to your web site and read those stories. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
What an awful thing to experience :( But it seems you did a brilliant job for Peppi and Peppino, I just love their names! :D And the nest box you've made for them must literally be the envy of all the surrounding pijjies! I hope this doesn't happen again.

Gosh pigeons can be brutal, but so can doves, I was shocked to find out doves can be little thugs.

What a lovely person you are, wish there were more people like you in this world :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HELLO PIGEONWRITER. Sorry about PEPPI and PEPPINO but I am glad to hear that they are coming around.I took the time to read some of the stories you have written about your birds, and I must say you have a skill about writing about your birds keep it up.I would hope that others go to your web site and read those stories. .GEORGE;)
Hi George - this is so very nice of you to say. Thank you. I am truly so very happy that this attack did not go the worst path...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What an awful thing to experience :( But it seems you did a brilliant job for Peppi and Peppino, I just love their names! :D And the nest box you've made for them must literally be the envy of all the surrounding pijjies! I hope this doesn't happen again.

Gosh pigeons can be brutal, but so can doves, I was shocked to find out doves can be little thugs.

What a lovely person you are, wish there were more people like you in this world :)
Thank you penname, but I just did what had to be done. It was little. There are people out there who devote all their time and resources to help these creatures - they earn the praise and appreciation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Directly after the attack

I could not have photographed little Peppino in his blood but I did after I had cleaned him up as well as Peppi who was not in such a bad shape.

I think you can well enough see the puncture wounds and the swellings on his little face (Peppino) altough it does not look so bad any more on the photo. Believe me it was bad enough:

Continued in next post......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Directly after the attack (part 2)

The strange thing is really that the nest is quite hidden. Even for a curious pigeon not so easy to find at all but look for yourself.
The red piece of mesh is new - I have added this because it helps to hide the babies from view but they can very well look outside. I have no clue whether this would have helped before and I am thinking a lot what I could have done differently but I have no clue :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A nearly Attack!!!!!

You will not believe this but the bastard pij came back today to finish up his job.
I was sitting at the computer and suddenly heard the babies scream. As I knew that they had been fed 5 minutes ago I immediately knew that it could not be one of the parents. Also the screams sounded differently - a high pitched tone, definitely that of fear.

I immediately ran out on the balcony and saw that bully bastard sitting in front of the entry, intending to jump into the nest. I grabbed the water sprayer and gave him a good shot. With a grumpy noise he flew off. I just could have strangled him :mad:

You know what - as many personalities pigeons can have, each an individual just like dogs, cats and humans - I believe that there are birds out there who have a very bad character. They are simply mean.

Now I decided to not give this bastard a third chance. I simply took the nest (the planting bowl) inside, put it on some hangers and hung it directly into my big window so that the kiddos can look outside, see the other pigeons fly by and watch all the activities.

The babies seem to be extremely happy. They seem to love the soft swinging of the nest and they have started to train their wing muscles now. Everything is so much more interesting for them now. And I can hardly work because I have to watch them - :D

I showed Willy and Winnie, their parents, where their kiddos were. I put the nest for a short time besides their "feeding house" when I realized that it was time for feeding and believe it or not the parents immediately understood, which means, after feeding themselves, they both fed their babies IN my studio and within the nest.

I have made a video again that I will post tomorrow for proof - in case you don't believe me....:D

Well - so much from a crazy person right now - but most of you will understand - I am sure...

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
:D WELL DONE, Pigeonwriter!!

Oh, I most certainly believe you and look forward to your video!!

THANKS for going the "extra" to help your little guys! Then again, I'm sure the parents AND both little ones are REALLY thanking you!!

SENDING ALL OUR BEST with

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I believe you. Good job. Any Pigeon would be lucky, indeed, to hatch on your balcony.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts