Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few pigeons. They were all nice and healthy. But recently this winter I noticed one pigeon is not eating and standing still. He was not active at all. I dont have enough knowledge about pigeon diseases but I tried my best. He had sounds of breathing in his nose. As his time was ending he started to Respirate through his beaks. He was also trembling. I felt that there was something like hard nodule in his throught. But couldnt see anything through his beak. After couple of hour he died. After 6 days another strong pigeon died with the same symptomp. Sadfully his two 28 days old squabs also died in front of me. I COUDNT DO ANYTHING. Now another pigeon is trembling. He is not eating food or drinking water. He is very weak. There is no hard object in his pooping. He poops very less. I never game them amy med or vaccine befor.I dont know what to do please help.
20201130_121155-1.jpg
20201209_193328.jpg
Screenshot_20201209-210259-1.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Screenshot_20201209-210333-1-1.jpg

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
It's possible they died of canker. First thing, always isolate sick pigeons All diseases are very contageous. Check inside the beak and deep down the throat for cheesy yellow growths. That's one of the symptoms, although they can have canker without the growths. Canker can be treated with metronidazole, 50 mg for an adult pigeon once a day for 7 to 10 days. It's possible they died of something else, but canker is such a common disease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible they died of canker. First thing, always isolate sick pigeons All diseases are very contageous. Check inside the beak and deep down the throat for cheesy yellow growths. That's one of the symptoms, although they can have canker without the growths. Canker can be treated with metronidazole, 50 mg for an adult pigeon once a day for 7 to 10 days. It's possible they died of something else, but canker is such a common disease.
Yes, I checked but didn't see any sign of canker. And they are dying fast. And now another squab is sick (like before). What this disease can be. I am too much confused. Some of my friends is thinking that it is new castle disease. But I dont know for sure. So I cant treat them properly. Please HELP!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
You don't always see the canker, it can be in the crop as well. Can you get the metro? If they are going to die, start treating them asap.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Young pigeons might have circovirus. we lost a squeaker to circovirus. Our squeaker had several infections and each time we treated one, another one surfaced. It was like playing whack a mole. Can you have a vet examine a deceased bird to see what is going on.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pigeon who was sick last time, his head is shaking too much. Looks like he lost control of his head and it trembles too much.
I took him to a vet. And he suspected that it is new castle disease(PMV). Please help me. He is one of my favourite pigeon.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Isolate him from the rest, at least for 6 weeks. Then he is not contageous anymore. Handfeed if he is unable to eat by himself. Defrosted green peas will be best to feed. Try 50 peas 3 times a day, total of 150 per day. Put the seed in a deep dish, sometimes they figure out how to eat by themselves. Water in a narrow dish. Give vitamins, esp vit B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts