Pigeon-Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well first my pigeons started to die from the harsh weathers here. Now that thats been taken care of, i have new a new problem. 4 of my pigeons died in 2 days. (7 pigeons died in a week, weather/disease problems). Well the 4 that died in these last 2 days is not due to weather problems. First one of my best show homers dies. Sad really, wanted to get some eggs from her, i posted a picture of her earlier, she was the little tannish hen. She dies, then her mate, a 300 mile champ. Checked homer, weighed a hefty amount too, huge fellow dies. And then one of my best rollers, a grey/white hen dies. And just a few hours ago. One of my pure white rollers, which got 1st place in the BCRC show a month ago died. And then i saw it. One of my brown rollers, was moving his head around wildy, shaking it about, his head was turning backwards at an unordinary stage. For some reason the name, PMV keeps coming to me, i don't know if this is it but yeah. They also couldn't fly properly. They were tripping out, not being able to see the perches and just trying to land on them but hit the wall and come down. Also my checked homer, 300 mile champ, when he was dying, this yellow fluid was coming out of his mouth. I'm scared. Started the summer with over 80 birds...I'm down to 31, the losses this year have been crazy and very hurting. My mom and dad are gone for vacation. Only a 21 year old brother at home, that is always at work when i'm available. I'm only 15 so i don't know what to do. I don't want to lose any more pigeons :( i was planning on going into showing now since i have...had...enough pigeons in both rollers, homers, high flyers. But now that dream will have to wait until 2010 i guess. Someone tell me what they think is going on.

Facts-

-Pigeon moving head wildy
-Pigeon turning head backwards too much
-Pigeon pecking or "hitting" his head on his feet
-Pigeon dies with yellow stuff coming out of his mouth

Good stuff...i think-

-Nothing to do with weather
-Fresh water 3 times a day...(it freezes)
-Heat Lamps available 24/7

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm so very sorry for all these losses, Gurbir. It's really the wrong time of year and wrong climate for your birds to be suffering from PMV, plus in a situation where the birds are being cared for, PMV wouldn't be killing them like this.

I'd be suspecting something like paratyphoid (salmonellosis) or perhaps a viral thing like adenovirus. Any chance you can get a local pigeon fancier to give you a hand here? We can only guess over the internet. You probably need to have a dead bird or two necropsied by a vet who is at least somewhat bird savvy and perhaps some tests run. I know that's tough for a young man such as you are, but I really don't know of any other way to get a real handle on what's going on.

There are a couple of pigeon vets who will respond to e-mails about things like this. One is Dr. Colin Walker in Australia and there is another in the U.S. .. can't recall his name right now, but he's in the Midwest (I think) .. I'll try to get his info. I would definitely suggest that you get all the facts in order about these birds and e-mail Dr. Walker and this other fellow when I can find his info.

I'm sure others will be along (or already have been) to offer their advice.

Terry

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK sure, thanks Terry, i just want to save my remaining pigeons and start off fresh by February. :\ I'll email them as soon as possible. Snowed three feet...still snowing...a few of my neighbours cars are stuck, I'm going out to help them. Thank you so much again.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Do these birds appear to be fine, then die within a day or even hours of looking healthy? Or have they been suffering for a while?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look fine today, the next day they look horrible, can't fly, some can't walk etc. I bought something today though. It is called "Ornacycline" , Tetracycline for birds. Aids in the treatment of respiratory and intestinal bacterial infections of pet birds. Broad-spectrum, fruit flavored antibiotic for use in drinking water. Treats most common bird respiratory ailments and intestinal bacterial infections. Safe to use with all species of birds. What do you guys think? Is it ok to give it to them?

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Please Dont Take This The Wrong Way...

Gurbir, I can't tell you much on how the situations about your birds... Its because I haven't experience regarding the dilemma you are facing now...When your birds are doing fine, if you can pesticide your loft before putting them back in it, it's a MUST...Again don't take this the wrong way but all I can say is, do the basic rules; keep the water fount clean (wash/bleach it all the time), during the winter pull-out the fount (after they all drink) before you go inside the house, in other words: if you know you ain't going back out...Then scrape as much poops as you can each single day...Do not let them eat on the floor...I know this things (PMV) happens but only to those who "neglect their birds"...Worms, bugs or mites on pigeons, I can understand they can't really avoid/prevent getting or having them, but them being sick?, its on the birds keeper...There's always a way (solutions) for everything...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your birds. I think about them all the time and how cold it is there. :eek: I hope the Ornacyclin works. Good luck!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
According to the book "The Pigeon" written by Levi, the symptoms you describe could be anything from a Vitamin deficiency to a common cold.
I would make sure you do not have overcrowding in your loft(s). Your birds are on a good, balanced diet. Your loft is clean, no drafts! and the water/food containers are cleaned regularly.
What does the bird look like when it dies? Is it under weight? Is there swelling anywhere on the body? (Don't forget to check the vent!) Is the crop full or empty?
Did your feed get wet? Do you have mice in you loft(s)? Have you used some kind of pesticide or cleaning agent in your loft? Have you wormed your birds? Did they fly and perhaps get into some kind of poison? (I had a neighbor who use to put poison out for my birds!)
I know this does not answer your questions, but these are things you must look for and let the vet know about. He may ask you to open one of the dead birds and look for things on the inside.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i could be at fault here, i clean my loft every week, and this time it was a week late. (I cleaned it today) As for overcrowding that could have been a factor but i don't think so. I only had 4 birds in there that shouldn't have been in there, but this was due to my small loft collapsing...about a metre of snow/water which made ice so it was very heavy, plus this small loft, 4 x 4 x4 is 7 years old...the roof collapsed so i had to put those 4 birds in the bigger loft. A few died from the cold, but since this is the harshest winter we've had in 10 years i wasn't prepared. After 3 pigeons died, i got my brother to go to Home Depot and we bought a few heat lamps. Got a lot of shavings as well. Northern White Pine is all the place has due to most of the major highways being closed due to snow. So idk if the shavings had anything to do with it, i never use this type. Other than that, fresh water 2 times a day, not at night obviously. It froze so i did once in the morning, once in the afternoon, by 3 o clock i couldn't see anything anyway. Hmmm yeah i guess i covered everything....lost 11 great pigeons in 7 days. I lost an import today. High flying hen straight from pakistan. Had her for 3 years now, gift from an uncle. And now my loft is a disaster, got the neighbor yelling, threatening, to "Rip the walls of that loft and eat your pigeons for dinner" really pissed me off, and thats when i don't mind my annoying older brother to come in and save me lol. So yes, i'm down to 27 pigeons. From 80 to 27, a bad deal indeed. And just noticed the wire going from my house to the loft, that gives power to the heat lamps is being chewed down by rats. Got that protected today.

---------
If anyone knows anyone in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area here in British Columbia that could possibily come by for 3 days to check up and feed my birds on dates : Feb 24,25,26 I'd appriciate it. I'm participating in Provincials in Wrestling, 3 wins and i'm at nationals, its my second year, made it to nationals got silver :D and i'm hoping to do it again. So if someone could help me out it'd be dandy lol.

Thanks again,
Gurbir

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Do you know if they may have been eating wet feed? Sounds a lot like what happened to me a few months ago with fungi. Have you noticed any of the sickly birds vomitting or 'gushing' water when you pick them up?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sorry Gurbir but I have to say this...

Let me make a comment about the size of the loft 1st...I know I don't have space either but I regulate having to many birds and don't have enough room for them to fly, another issue of overcrowding the loft is, if it's not ventilated properly the stench of the poops will stay inside and if you say you were late cleaning your loft after a week...I can imagine how much is the poops when I scrape it for 2 days (imagine for :eek: a week)...Well, 4X4X4 is way too small for 80 pigeons even for 27...I got 27 flying and my loft is 9'L X 6'H X 6'W. I scrape poops once a day...If weather permits, I vacuum the edges...

I'm going to be honest with you, put your feet in their shoes...Don't be a smart aleck, I know they don't wear shoes...But how would you like to stay or live in a house that nobody flush the toilet for a week? I mean I can take the odor of the pee but the #2 :eek:...How do you like to eat in the environment that can suffocate you from the odor?...They have no choice but to stay there because you want to have them there but you have to do the best way you can for your pigeons, I know you got things to do for your life but they didn't fly down and ask you to take care of them, you went to find them and ask yourself you want to take care some breeds of pigeons...I don't like to butt-in, in someones business but if I can sense that there is something wrong not to blame the weather its because we choose not to do things for them...I bet you can't hardly stay in there because the odor...Man I eat my sandwich in my loft sometimes with my drink on the other hand...It's not 100% clean but I can guarantee that my health is safe not thinking that dust gets to my food...

Always remember; pretty much like driving; You can't expect other drivers will do the way you do on the road...You have to dedicate and devote yourself having them in your life, not because you are young and you got a whole life ahead of you, we do have young members here that put a lot of their time and efforts to take care of their birds...

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Oliver.......I think the 4 X 4 loft is the one that collapsed and it had 4 birds in it. Those 4 birds were put in the bigger loft........don't know how "big" bigger is though............

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
think about all the new birds that you have brought home....did you quarentine them?....you had a mouse/rat prob not long ago...they carry dieseases....you can have multiple things going on and the ones that died from the cold may have lived if they were healthy....you need to build a decent loft that is draft free and mouse free and keep it clean and don't over crowd..2 ft per bird min....if you don'f fix these things your going to lose birds...you can't just collect birds because you want them....you have to have enough room....as far as getting the birds you have left healthy consult the vet and get the meds that you need and start cleaning EVERYDAY. If you don't have time think of pairing down and just have as many as you can take care of well. And stop hatching babies....get some dummy eggs, or seperate the pairs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't mean to come out like that to Gurbir...I really feel bad for him and his birds...Him and them are all suffering for this, there is no win situation if he don't act fast...I'm not sure how big is the bigger loft you have but, if you put the ones that came from dying loft then you are just bringing the epidemic to the "bigger loft"...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the bigger loft is 8ft by 8ft by 6ft. Heated, draft free, mouse free, everything is good with it. In my small loft i had boarded everything up before the snow hit, (it was getting cold). But then one of my black homers died suddenly. It snowed, i thought it would be good to get all the birds into the bigger loft, since it had room. My small loft were actually all my flyers, high flyers and rollers. (I have given all my homers away). And then everything was fine for a whole week. Then a few died, and so on. I had shavings in the bigger loft, went the same day with my brother and put in a heat lamp. Loft was clean by now. So yeah few more died. 9 or 10 have died so far in the past 2 weeks. Today, not long ago, 15 minutes to be exact i have set up a warm "cage like" place in my garage where 6 of my pigeons i believe are sick are in there. So right now, my loft is sick pigeon free. I have about 16 pigeons in there that look perfectly fine. I have time, i'm only busy 6-8 everyday because i have wrestling practice. I clean the loft everyday now. Yup thats about all right now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
To keep it pest/germs/bacteria free, I 'll suggest: using BLEACH everytime you clean until the scent of the bleach takes place, make sure the birds are not in the loft when you do this...Do not mix the so called looking sick birds in the loft, I think the easyiest way they got sick its because they all drink in the same water fount and one apple spoils the whole basket...Honestly, sometimes I feel lazy to scrape the floor but everytime I think of a bird might get sick, it motivates me to scrape it right away...I spray bleach once a week (birds-out-flying) even in the winter, I make sure the bleach will smell in my backyard...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Spirit Wing brings up a very good point, no just for the new hobbyist, but for all of us. Quarantine. We have no way of knowing what the new bird is carrying. He may look healthy and seem fine. But how do you really know? Always quarantine a new bird before exposing your entire lock to the new guy. I was healthy and happy and in my prime, then I went to a foreign country and drank the water there... Yup, I was exposed to something new and it made me sick.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
UncleBuck...

Did you get quarantine too?...I'm kidding :D:D:D...

I just want to add a bit to what you said but SpiritWings made a good point...
For example; I was given some birds by someone I trust so I don't think I have to quarantine the bird/s for any reason right?...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.