Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I recently had a very strange experience with pigeons and came across this website to see what others might think. Here's the story....
I was driving to work on highway 101 early Saturday morning. Around 6:30 I noticed a flock of birds, about 100, that gathered directly above the road and formed into a chaotic rounded group and started to shake violently. They were not in any specific formation as I usually see them fly and their wings were flapping. It was as if they were either being electrocuted or being attacked by something (possibly other birds). It happened within a second then about 5 pigeons dropped straight down and hit the highway and bounced. They appeared completely dead by that time. After they dropped the group of birds made a formation and flew away.

I was in complete shock when I saw this. I could not figure out what happened. It was hard to tell if all the birds were pigeons or just a few so I was wondering if maybe this was a sabotage attack by other birds on a few pigeons. There was a power line that crossed the highway about 50 feet prior to the birds, is there a possibility all of them got electrocuted and only a few of them died? We returned to the site a day later and I got a few pictures of the birds left on the road. I could only find 3 but I didn't have much time to search and I'm guessing a few of them got hit by other cars on the road. If they did get electrocuted why would they have fallen so far away from the power lines.

I'm very curious what happened as this was one of the oddest experiences I have ever had. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sounds more like a flock of blackbirds/grackles than pigeons, if they were flying crazily. Either way, it sounds like they either hit the powerlines from being so crowded together, and got electrocuted (doubt it) or broke their neck/other bones. Or they could have gotten hurt just as badly by flying into each other or if a hawk/falcon flew through the flock and tried to catch them.
If these were someone's birds, those 5 might have been rollers that couldn't stop before they hit the ground. But if they were pigeons, and they were in town, they were more likely ferals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see any hawks or larger birds. When the birds got rattled they did it in a ball 50ft away from the power lines which makes me think it wasn't electrocution. I saw the whites of the pigeons bellies as they were falling which makes me think they were dead mid-flight.

Do blackbirds/grackles attack pigeons?

The only ones that were dead on the ground were pigeons. They didn't have noticeable attack scars. One had road burn and one was complete except for a broken neck.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi equinebliss,

Even if small or similar size Birds attack other Birds in flight, no one drops out of the sky from it or dies instantly.

A hard 'hit' from a Hawk could knock a smaller Bird uncounsious, but that would be a very different scenario.

No way flying over Power Lines would do this.

Where are you located?

And, what sort of installations or other are close by to that scene, any idea?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The incident occurred on Highway 101 in Morgan Hill, just south of San Jose, CA. There is not much activity near the highway other than a few shopping centers and housing developments which are at least 100 yds from the road.

It was so bizarre and un-natural. I will look again tomorrow when I drive through but I can't think of any reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say it was some DOD or related contractor or affiliate shoulder-firing or testing a portable, hand held particle Beam or 'Energy' Weapon or focused EMP Weapon or Microwave Weapon of some kind, or showing the function to someone casually.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
If this was a wild flock of pigeons they may have just got done feeding at the local mall where some of the birds got into POISON feed for rats or mice, or they may have tumblers ( a type of pigeon) that did not pull out of the tumble in time. But I believe it was a case of poisoning. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi George, thanks for your feedback.
I considered this as well but felt poisoning would not cause a group of birds to go into shock mid-flight and only a few of them fall dead while the rest of the flock flew away. Maybe this is how birds react to certain poisons?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Poison would definitely do it. Some people put out poison in town where the big flocks are :( It causes them to go into seizure-like fits before they die.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't realize poison would suddenly effect a bird and within seconds (or a second) kill them. If it was poison I wonder why the other birds reacted but only a few of them fell.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I think , sadly, the explanation is one of the two mentioned about....equally reprehensible. Makes my blood boil, dammit.

A sure way to tell would be an autopsy of one of the birds.

Are there any places directly in the vicinity with common pigeon flocks, where someone might feed them ?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I didn't realize poison would suddenly effect a bird and within seconds (or a second) kill them. If it was poison I wonder why the other birds reacted but only a few of them fell.
They may have been the only ones of the flock who happened to feed in that area. Or they could have been the ones who ate the most of it. Or, in an even more sad case, the others who ingested it may have already fallen to their death prior to you seeing the flock :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jaye - Not that I know of but I don't live in the area only drive through it. There is a lot of open space and not much development nearby. I'm guessing there is a few office buildings at least 100 yards away, maybe even further.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Jaye - Not that I know of but I don't live in the area only drive through it. There is a lot of open space and not much development nearby. I'm guessing there is a few office buildings at least 100 yards away, maybe even further.
Hi Equiebliss, The poison used to kill rats and mice will kill other animals it is not a fast killing poison it causes the animal to bleed to death.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Does not sound like Poison to me.

The usual Commercial Avicides typically cause the Bird to become un-cordinated, grounded, convulsing over hours or a day, then, expiring or muddling through.

Rodenticides, as George mentions, are usually Warfarin based and take time, work over days, and inhibit normal blood viscosities/coagulations causing internal bleeding and death.

Pesticides would not act in this way on Birds...fine one minute, takes off, falls dead out of the air...infinitely more likely, would be takes off, flys fine, flys poorly, lands however well or poolrly, is sick, or dies.

Possibly somewhere in the vast array of Poisons, there is something which could do this, but, this just does not sound like 'poison' to me.

Where, rather, it does sound like any of various 'Energy Weapons' or Microwave or 'Beam' related Weapons, and is exactly what those would do if directed to a flock of Birds.

Even a conventional Radio Station, if Broadcasting, and, a Flock of Birds got too close to the Brodcast-Antenna, it would do this.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Does not sound like Poison to me.
Where, rather, it does sound like any of various 'Energy Weapons' or Microwave or 'Beam' related Weapons, and is exactly what those would do if directed to a flock of Birds.
Even a conventional Radio Station, if Broadcasting, and, a Flock of Birds got too close to the Brodcast-Antenna, it would do this.
It does sound very like Microwave type energy.
Radio signals are quite often sent via "microwave links", but these usually need line of sight between transmitters & recievers.
Are there any telecom towers in the area, or on the roofs of buildings ? Usually Microwave Tx & Rx are shaped like a vertically mounted Drum rather than dish.
While the radiation from this is normally well below any harmfull level, a surge or other fault could cause a "hot spot" which could literally overheat any birds flying into it. (Intentionaly made "Hot Spots" are in fact the way a microwave oven operates)
The size & length of time of this "hot spot" would be relatively small but it would depend on how long the bird was in direct line of the microwave beam and how hot the bird was in the first place.
Since flying and expending energy, they would all be more susceptible to a sudden rise in temperature, (even for just a couple of seconds) some more than others, hence the panic from most & sadly sudden death of others as they passed through it.
It wouldnt actually "cook" them, but their heart & lungs would give out mid-air
due to the stress of still trying to fly.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Brain and Nervus System can give out also in some even very brief exposures.

There have been a great deal of Weapons Development for intel, military, and LEO the last couple decades, increasing in every way, as it has gone, for vehicle mounted, shoulder mounted and hand held Weapons systems designed to stunn, incapacitate, damage or kill people.

Airplane mounted, Helicopter mounted and Satellite stationed 'energy' Weapons Systems also have been a big buzz for thirty years now for both generating effects on people ( and hence, any other Animals ), or on infrastructure.

Biological/Nervous System effects set to stun, damage or kill a person, would be greatly worse the smaller the Creature.

It was tacitly understood eighty or ninety years ago, that a 'Death Ray' was something that in theory could be developed, and, endless naive or early experiments of course were continuously being done since the 1920s anyway.

The advances in electronics and in technology genegerally have permitted the dream to become a reality since certainly the 1960s, and getting better, more compact, more specific in some cases, since.

Lots of Makets for various versions of these things, lots of prospective application if civil unrest, riot, war, subdueing/apprehending criminals, on and on.

A device intended only do stunn or excrutiatingly discomfort a person, would likely have far more serious effects on a small Bird.

It's a big subject, with many different kinds of devices or intended applications.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This has opened my eyes to an entirely new situation I was not aware of. It is scary to think I was that close to this type of activity but I imagine we are often blinded by things happening all around us everyday.

Is this possibly the cause of the mass flocks that have fallen all over the world including the UK and Australia?

·
Banned
307 Posts
For years the US,and their allies have experimented on things u guys wouldnt believe, pulse and waves r things of the past, for years the US have developed technology that u will only see on a movie theater, 25 years ago, the pentagon had the technology to destroy atomics heads while entering up atmosphere levels, the Aurora project, for example, or weather manipulation, is all within reach now, area 51 is nothing compare to Utah s underground facilities, or Alaska experimental station.
whatever it was, it was not rat poison, it would have take longer, ant it wouldnt have affected 5 birds at the same time, it seem s more like a neuro attack.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts