Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone so i let my pigeons loft fly for the day and awhile back i sold a homer and he came back to me but i cant get the mans number so if he rings me then it doesnt matter ok so he used to be paired up to a tumbler and i sold him because of that but know i want racers haha so the tumbler mated up with another tumbler and then the racer came back to my loft and when they went into the loft both went to the nest and started full on biting each other then the tumbler feathers were everywere and his feet were bleeding so i washed it out and i took the homer and put him in a cage so i was thinking will they ever stop fighting or will they keep doing it till they get the female the tumbler will definatlay loose since i got the male back he is huge i mean i can barely hold him and hes so strong thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey there. Don't let them fight. First thing the female is a tumbler. 2ndly,the male is homer. Point is homers are way stronger and bigger than tumblers. The female's always gonna loose the battle. And she could end up seriously injured in the eye or might end up loosing the vision. If the tumbler hen has choosen another mate she's nvr gonna accept this homer who is now her x mate untill her current mate is removed. I knw u won't wanna pair tumbler+homer. Remove the homer and get him a homer hen and leave the tumbler pair in peace

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Ookaaaay...! Hahahah. Give me a bit to laugh it off.
I'm good now. Course the males would fight over the nestbox and female. Solution is simple. Separate the homer and get him a homer hen. Don't put them back into the loft until they're paired. But still then there could be fight over the nest box. U will have to make them used to another nestbox made for them.Gd luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had two gay males once that paired up together I didn't like that so I got a female for one of them... and he paired up with her and they chose the nest box... the other male was so upset and he was way bigger than the female even though when he tried fighting with her she would always kick his ass and chase him out of her territory.... hahahahaha.... she was so cute and funny.... I would recommend what brocky beiber said... good luck

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Ookaaaay...! Hahahah. Give me a bit to laugh it off.
I'm good now. Course the males would fight over the nestbox and female. Solution is simple. Separate the homer and get him a homer hen. Don't put them back into the loft until they're paired. But still then there could be fight over the nest box. U will have to make them used to another nestbox made for them.Gd luck

This is exactly right. If you end up keeping the homer male, then you need to get him to pair up with another homer, and then give them a new nest box. More than likely, they will still fight over his old nest box, and that will take a while to straighten out. You can't blame the homer. That's his mate, and his box. He is just protecting what he sees as his. That's natural, and actually what you would want a cock to do. So don't blame him. Be patient with him. He doesn't understand that you took his mate and box and gave them to someone else. How would you feel? You will still have to break up fights for a while, over the old nest box, but eventually it will settle down. It would be easier to get him back to whomever you sold him to, but if let out, he will probably just return. He is coming back to his home and mate, as far as he is concerned, which is again, what you want in a male homer. So be patient.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really hard to find pigeons were I am I'm trying to sell the tumbles but they all laid eggs so I might keep them till there eating on there own but the thing is I don't know I'd I have enough room for them

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Why didn't you switch out the eggs for fake ones if you don't have enough room?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I buy mine online from pigeon supply places.

·
Registered
670 Posts
im going on a bus to the nearest pigeon supply shop know going to take awhile
man my pigeon shop is about 30 mins away by car and has everything I would ever need nearest Wal-Mart is 18 mins away... and I think that's a distance .... ha ha to think if I had go twice that idk what I would do!!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
what I have done in the past is you take two snap rings on each leg and then take a piece of string and tie them together just enough so the homer can walk . say an inch? not sure of exact length... and this way he wont be able to spread his legs and get a good fighting stance and wont be able to use his size to beat up the other bird. .. once he loses a few time he will give up and look for a diff nesting area....

you could take the snap rings and glue the string to them (not the bird let glue dry then put on) so they cannot come off and get tangled in his foot or anything. I would try it make sure you think it feels safe then put them on and watch him for a while with it and see if you need to make any adjustments (shorten the string) or make tighter knots... good luck maybe leave them on for a few days and he will get it in his head not to fight for that nest.... good luck

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
what I have done in the past is you take two snap rings on each leg and then take a piece of string and tie them together just enough so the homer can walk . say an inch? not sure of exact length... and this way he wont be able to spread his legs and get a good fighting stance and wont be able to use his size to beat up the other bird. .. once he loses a few time he will give up and look for a diff nesting area....

you could take the snap rings and glue the string to them (not the bird let glue dry then put on) so they cannot come off and get tangled in his foot or anything. I would try it make sure you think it feels safe then put them on and watch him for a while with it and see if you need to make any adjustments (shorten the string) or make tighter knots... good luck maybe leave them on for a few days and he will get it in his head not to fight for that nest.... good luck
A bit extreme really I think, If the birds are fighting generally something is a miss, In this case, Its a mate for the homer. So rather than tying your birds up and restricting their natural instinct, work with nature and supply what the birds need. Just my opinion, I am sure some others will have their opinions on this method too:D;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
well then your birds are prob all bald he said they are plucking feathers and bleeding already .... so yeah I would prob take an "extreme" step to protect my birds from further possible more Severe injury's . and no one said it was for life .. ive done this many time with a Bully cock in my loft and it works like a charm .... only a few days of this "extreme" needed and with a new hen and new box .... its all it will need ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
seriously hen-pecked

:eek:Speaking of fighting and losing feathers ... how do nursing fledges fare and recover after being seriously hen-pecked and losing flesh, blood and feathers from the crowns of their thin little skulls? ... it was attacked more than once and i applied salve a week ago and it's hugging the ledge and appears to be healing, but i don't see any fuzz, fur or growth up there yet ... how long does it take? Will it ever grow back? And if not, can pigeons survive bald up there w/o anything on their heads? Thanks.:eek:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Good for you. Now put the homer and the new female in two separate cages nest to each other. Don't just lock them up together. Give them time to get to know each other and want to be together before you actually let them together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts