Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 4 x 8 x 4 Feet loft. with 5 breeding boxes in the row , just 8 inch high from the floor. There are perches near the roof.

Issue is my 2 pairs have claimed like two half of loft, they dont let me add any other pair.

Even when any of their Male chick gets mature, As long as he is sitting on a perch, he is fine, but when he flow down to drink eat or just to wonder, The two males start coing and attack them, and chik have no choice but to flew back to a perch.

One Pair is a sattinate, other one is High flyer (Indian). It seems like they have claimed each half of the loft. Yesterday i tried to add another high flyer pair who lives in a small loft just near that big loft, But they attack them and i had to remove new pair out of loft.

I have seen on youtube people have hundreds of birds living together, breeding boxes are next to each other and no one fights.

Please help, what is wrong? Both pairs are healthy, I let them flew out and they happily go back when they are done wondering around.

Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As you can see, Chicks are sitting on perch.

Any new pair i add, they cant stay down, or near any of the nest box, they are bullied untill they run out of loft, or if they stay on a perch and fight back. but still they gets attacked from time to time.

Male chicks are also unable to stay near any of nest box.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If the other pairs have been in there for a while, they will start to see it as their territory. You close off other nest boxes and don't allow them to take more than one box. When you add another pair, you are basically adding them to the others territory. Put them in an unclaimed box for a few days so they can get used to each other and they know that box as theirs. Then let them out and stay and watch. You will need to break up any fights that start. Do this for a few days and see if they get used to each other.

If your loft is 4X4, then it isn't very large to add new birds. If it is 4X8, then they should have enough room. Not sure of the size. You don't add the height into the equation.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
We were posting at the same time. Now that I see your loft, it becomes more clear. You are better to have the boxes higher. For one thing, pigeons prefer to nest and roost higher up, as they feel safer up high.
Also, they tend to view any area around that is on the same level, as their territory. So they will guard the floor near their box as their territory. So really better to have the boxes on a higher level.
Some loft birds are going to try to test the new comers to the loft also, so just watch and stop anything that starts till they get accustomed to each other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the other pairs have been in there for a while, they will start to see it as their territory. You close off other nest boxes and don't allow them to take more than one box. When you add another pair, you are basically adding them to the others territory. Put them in an unclaimed box for a few days so they can get used to each other and they know that box as theirs. Then let them out and stay and watch. You will need to break up any fights that start. Do this for a few days and see if they get used to each other.

If your loft is 4X4, then it isn't very large to add new birds. If it is 4X8, then they should have enough room. Not sure of the size. You don't add the height into the equation.
Thanks for suggestions, its 4 feet wide, 8 feet long, 4 feet high

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
When I bring in new birds, there are a couple of older guys that will go after them and won't let them take a box. They don't like new birds in their territory, especially males. So I usually lock them into what will be their box for a few days so they will see the box as theirs. Then when I let them out of the box, I just watch to make sure all goes smoothly. I am there to break up anything that starts up. Eventually they will adjust to each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts