Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a "pair" of iranian high flyers from someone a breeder. He basically went throught his pigeons and picked 2 pigeons he thought were a male and a femaile. He says that he's 90-95% accurate it's a male and female.
For over a week now, they fight often, the bigger one chasing the smaller looking one (i assume it's thefemale?) around.
Would a male chase a female away that much? Is this a sign that I have 2 males?
At what point do I go back to the guy and tell him he sold me 2 males/females?
I'm not sure if I should be more patient or am I wasting my time.
Your input will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dan,

Don't worry too much. I have a pair of Nun Pigeons that did the same thing and i started to wonder why the male was bullying the other one too. The smaller one is the female by the way. I never really figured it out but i found that she wasn't getting enough food because of being chased away from the seed dish, so i put two dishes in, one at each end of the cage which helped. If your male is drawing blood on the female, maybe you could divide your cage with netting so that they can still see each other during the day and let them sleep together in the evenings. He will eventually get over his bullying, i think it's just him saying "this is my territory". My male pigeon changed his " attitude" dramatically as soon as they mated and she laid an egg. He became terribly tame towards her and she now goes up to him and prene's him instead of running away from him. Just let them do their thing. It'll also be better when they can fly out of the cage after the holding period. Do note that if they are young, she may lay only one egg on her first nesting and two eggs if you are lucky. Just a bit of patience and they will work it out themselves but do keep an eye on them. My pigeons get along fine now. Hope i have been of some help.
Good Luck!
Sarah

1 - 2 of 2 Posts