Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to the sport of racing pigeons. My question is about sending pigeons in the mail. I have a shipping box but when I called the post office they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about when I said I want to ship pigeons. Can someone tell me what I need to tell them when I go to ship them?:confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have them send the birds out by overnight express mail. You have the option of having the person receiving the birds either sign for them or not. I always have the person receiving the birds sign for them. The local post office should call the individual receiving the birds to let them know the birds are in. I try and list at least two contact phone numbers like cell phone, and home or business number. Shipping pigeons in the mail is not new, and only a fraction of the birds like chickens shipped daily through the mail.

Dennis Kuhn
http://www.pigeonsuppliesplus.com

http://www.whiteracingpigeons.com

·
Registered
503 Posts
If I may add, please only ship birds Monday and Tuesday, this is incase the birds get lost in the process, atleast you still have Wednesday thru Saturday to look for the birds. Very important is to get the tracking number then go to www.usps.com there you can track your birds and you can also get a confirmation once the birds are recieve by the buyer. Again very important is to ship birds only on Monday and Tuesday. Hope this help.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
It has been a few years, but I have received three pigeons with no problems whatsoever. The service was great. I received all of mine in the middle of the week, so shipping on Monday is important.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Have the shipper write your phone number on the outside of the box, my post office contacts me when they come in and it saves them from having to make the route drive. If they are going to be delivered by the route driver give them a heads up that you have some birds coming in a few days.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Smaller Post Offices typically call the recipient when the birds arrive at the Post office.
Larger Post Offices typically have a truck or trucks just for Express Mail and may try delivering as early as 4:00AM.
I had a small town Post Office call me a little after 5:00AM once to tell me they had attempted delivery and no one answered. They wanted to know what to do.
I told them the pigeons would be fine and to wait a few hours, because the recipients were probably asleep.
Pigeons ship very well. Cold weather is better for shipping then excessively hot weather.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you can put a little shredded paper in the box too. It helps with keeping the birds clean . I've had birds come with a few wood chips , but the paper is dust free and light.
Make sure you write "LIVE BIRDS" in big letters on the outside of the box too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
When I shipped my Pigeons, I bypassed my Small Town Post Office, and sent them through the closest Main or central area post office. Maybe it's called a District area P.O. (not sure).
This way, My Pigeons wouldn't be sitting an extra day, untill they went through the main terminal on their way.
What's sad is, my Pigeons were more than able to make the trip themselves in 3 hrs., The Post Office took 3 Days, and costs me $100.00! :(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am totally new to the sport of racing pigeons. My question is about sending pigeons in the mail. I have a shipping box but when I called the post office they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about when I said I want to ship pigeons. Can someone tell me what I need to tell them when I go to ship them?:confused:
the USPS has approved bird boxes and there is a place to stick the lable there on the box..so it should not be hard for them to figure it out..they go out as an overnight... as said put the recipients phone # on the box lable under their name.. keep your receipt it has the tracking # on it.. email or phone it to the person getting the birds so they can track them...and so can you from the USPS site online..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.