Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I was keeping my pigeons in a seperate shed but recently they seemed to be slowly moving in with the chickens, now all my pigeons have settled there, baisically my chicken shed has roof supports and is partially boarded aswell and they seem to be enjoying it, they are also sharing the perches with the hens at night, all my birds are healthy and all been wormed, the shed is cleaned everyday and well ventillated, I don't know if I should just leave them but seperate the roof space from the hens so I can let them out to fly in the shed, and put a little door up there so they can fly outside aswell for excercise, what do you think? :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tom mine are all in the same building. But the pigeons nest in the loft area of the barn, which the chickens can't get into. The chickens do not bother the adult pigeons but Will peck at pigeon babys. Just keep the nesting area seperate.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Problems could arise, especially with young birds on the floor being pecked; however I have met a lot of people that keep chickens and pigeons together without any problems for many years.
I kept silver pheasants with pigeons for several years without problems, before they started eating eggs.
Keith

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
No! No! No!

Hi Tom,I have read all the posts up till now and no one has said anything about SICKNESS. If you continue to keep these birds togetter you will surely have sick birds.The question is why did the pigeons move in with the chickens,do you have chicken feed laying around all day for the chickens that attracted the pigeon, that you may have been under feeding.NO NO NO and once again NO.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
An old friend kept homers and chickens together for years. What problems he had I dont know. But he did it.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
George said it, one of the most important reasons is disease spreading. Chickens have several things that can be caught by pigeons, and vice versa, if I recall correctly. Also, chickens can corner and peck a pigeon to death. I had a hen who got into my aviary at a few days old and she lived in there until two or so, when she began attacking the pigeons around her. Best not to do it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah, I would keep them away from your pigeons. i have kept chickens for many years; I have even seen them STEAL little pink newly hatched birds from song bird nests. that could be a pigeon squab!:eek:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi Tom,I have read all the posts up till now and no one has said anything about SICKNESS. If you continue to keep these birds togetter you will surely have sick birds.The question is why did the pigeons move in with the chickens,do you have chicken feed laying around all day for the chickens that attracted the pigeon, that you may have been under feeding.NO NO NO and once again NO.GEORGE;)
I agree George , that is what I meant when I said risks not to mension parasites,such as gapeworm.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
George said it, one of the most important reasons is disease spreading. Chickens have several things that can be caught by pigeons, and vice versa, if I recall correctly. Also, chickens can corner and peck a pigeon to death. I had a hen who got into my aviary at a few days old and she lived in there until two or so, when she began attacking the pigeons around her. Best not to do it.

I agree with everything you said, MJ.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts