Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello-

I always put a mirror in the crate with any sick, young or long pigeon that I'm caring for and I noticed that they spend a lot of time with it. Putting it behind the food dish sometimes will inspire a sick bird to eat and most will nap next to it.

I've heard that scientists include pigeons on the very short list of animals that recognize themselves, along with elephants and chimps and dolphins.

I don't know whether they do recognize themselves or not but I can tell you that when we put pigeon pants (www.birdwearonline.com) on Peppermint, he ran and looked at himself in his mirror first thing.

The other day I brought another foster pigeon, Dorsey, over to visit Peppermint who lives as a very pampered foster pigeon in a parrot-filled household, thinking that Peppermint would appreciate the company. He spends A LOT of time with his mirror friend. He definitely did like the company and followed Dorsey around like a puppy but they also spent a lot of time looking in the mirror together!

So that gave me an idea and yesterday when I found a cast off mirror, I carried it home and put it in my pigeon loft. Even though the loft is full of REAL pigeons, they are VERY interested in the pigeons in the mirror. :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have a mirror with my pigeons also, and I get the same reaction, they love looking at themselves. mindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Pigeons love to admire themselves in the mirror.

·
Registered
813 Posts
--- Journey spends the whole day doing the 007 in the mirror----hmmmm-- maybe thats what gives with poor Willow! LOL.. Cute pic's E! Pep...is just so darn cute!...and he doesn't even need a Halloween or Christmas costume!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts