Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not figure these birds out. I have empty nest boxes and they decide to lay their eggs on the floor.
They are taking care of them (Incubating and feeding the squabs which have hatched) and just look at me with that "You better watch where your stepping" look.
Any ideas how to stop it?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I have 2 pairs that are doing that now. It is supposed to have 3, but I forced the other pair by semi-locking them inside a box. You know not everyone wants to be on top! Oh it is Friday!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I could try locking them up (Do I need to read them their rights first? You have a right to remain chaste, how-ever if you choose to remain chaste, I have the right to pick a new mate for you. You have the right to fresh feed and fresh water. You will build a nest, however if you can not afford a nest, one will be provided for you... :) ) in their individual boxes. Do you have to have them put their legs through the bars to take of the little birdie shackles? (Handcuffs?) It is way to early in the AM.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have a couple on the floor too, and there was plenty of (nest boxes) real estate available. I actually put them inside the boxes several times but they ended up on the floor again. I don't know if they just feel more comfortable there, or if the male is just not aggressive enough to hold on to his territory once he has claimed it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
lmao that was great thumbs up:D

I guess I could try locking them up (Do I need to read them their rights first? You have a right to remain chaste, how-ever if you choose to remain chaste, I have the right to pick a new mate for you. You have the right to fresh feed and fresh water. You will build a nest, however if you can not afford a nest, one will be provided for you... :) ) in their individual boxes. Do you have to have them put their legs through the bars to take of the little birdie shackles? (Handcuffs?) It is way to early in the AM.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have a couple on the floor too, and there was plenty of (nest boxes) real estate available. I actually put them inside the boxes several times but they ended up on the floor again. I don't know if they just feel more comfortable there, or if the male is just not aggressive enough to hold on to his territory once he has claimed it.
I too noticed that the more timid males set up closest to the floor or on the floor it self. I have 4 that fall into that category. So I can move them, if need should arise, I have place their nest in shallow cat litter trays. Works great, keeps the nest contained and gives their territory a visible boundry.
With the pairs that I have successfully moved off the floor, I did so by putting a nest box a foot off the floor and gradually moving it higher with each nesting cycle.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I too noticed that the more timid males set up closest to the floor or on the floor it self. I have 4 that fall into that category. So I can move them, if need should arise, I have place their nest in shallow cat litter trays. Works great, keeps the nest contained and gives their territory a visible boundry.
With the pairs that I have successfully moved off the floor, I did so by putting a nest box a foot off the floor and gradually moving it higher with each nesting cycle.
that is a good tip and solution charis, I will use that for some of mine. thanks for sharing it.:)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Rofl :D:p I do that too; when they insist on nesting on the floor, I put their nest inside a sideways milk crate, or cat litter pan so it's easy to move up a level if I need to. ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think what you have to do with the pair is to lock up the hen inside with the bowl and have the cock figure out where to look for his mate to get use to it...But if they have eggs already maybe just wait until the eggs hatched then transfer them to the nestbox you choose for them...Eventually the pair will take over the nestbox and stay there for good...

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Funny UncleBuck! I see that you've been there! (Hehehe)
You can try Pegasus technique, too.
With my problem, I initially locked the hen because she wants the floor. After release she went back to the floor. So I ended up locking the partner cock. She looked for him. Once the cock claimed the nest box as itself, then I lock the hen with the cock. After that they started using the nest bowl. Then I just released them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts