Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have some pigeon eggs that I do not want, and i was wondering if i could put one duck egg under them.

i know that they can hatch out chicks, as it has been done, but they only rake about 20 days, and duck eggs take an average 28 days, and so i was wondering if they would sit for that long, or if the ywould just get off after 20.

Thanks,

kevin
:confused::p

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Come on now, Kevin...:eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a little confused... wow ... i feel like i am supposed to be gettign something... but im not..

help?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I doubt they would sit on them for that long, plus, depending on what kind of duck it is, you could have some other issues. For example, muscovy eggs have a very thick waxy shell that makes it difficult to even hatch in an incubator because it's hard to get the humidity right. Muscovy eggs also take 35 days to hatch, but then again, they are a different species from all other domestic ducks (which originated from mallards).
Duck eggs are quite large as well. Seems like a pigeon would have a rough time turning the egg :p Haha.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, because I have a voorburg pair on a duck egg, and I am wondering when they will stop sitting. This is a Rouen egg, about the size of a chicken egg. You know what? I will give it a go, and at day eighteen, I will switch it under another pair... lets see what happens!

Kevin

P.S This is my choice, so please don’t give me a hard time! ;) Thanks for all the comments! :)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I know back in the mid 1960s Some poeple I knew did put chicken eggs Under pigeons on the nest and they hatched just fine Those were banty chickens eggs SO it may work Because those people hatch guite a few chicks using pigeons.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will, and and definetly get some pics of the little one!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am thinking of getting a banty hen (chicken) and lettign her brood it... just a thought! anyone one here use banties?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
It will never work---do the math----pigeons "may" sit 20 days. But then again we are talking to a 13 Y/O.
Regardless of the question, there is simply no need to be rude or make comments about someone's age on this forum. There have been others here who have talked about and shown pictures of their pigeons raising chick eggs and sitting on the chicks. To me, this seems a very logical question, in fact.

What if you asked a question and someone said, "What do you expect from an old guy like that?"

As for the duck egg, IF IT DIDN'T GET SWITCHED (to hatch under the duck parents)for some reason, a few things could go wrong. I would be careful because ducklings imprint on their "parent"--whatever their parent is--and pigeons can be aggressive to a youngster that is not acting "properly" (as in, not acting like a tiny squab and sitting in the nest!). If the duckling imprints on the pigeons who hatch it, but they don't want it around because it's a duckling, that could lead to big problems for you all. Also it is helpful for ducklings to have a real duck to teach them how to BE a duck lol, especially learning to swim (a duckling can actually drown before it knows how to swim), find food, etc. Short term it would likely work, but I see long-term problems if it does. You probably know all this but just in case. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Thank you for all your kind answers everyone.

Maryjane,

In fact, I did not know that a duckling could drown, and it actually had to be taught to swim.

Today, I bought a silkie hen, and she is actually sitting on the duck egg! Like I mean, just brought her home, and she goes and sits on the egg that I had under the pigeons! So now the silkie is brooding and I will try to find a way to teach it how to swim. Start with a shallow dish and go from there… I think.

Has anyone had a silkie go broody? What are the common breeds of chickens that do go broody?

Thanks a million,

Kevin

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
silkies are some of the best broody hens... my husband found some duck eggs that were to be destoyed at a construction site and brought them home to put under a bantam hen we had that was broody and most of them hatched and we raised them up or she did.... and when they were old enough took them to a nice pond where more ducks were ,and where people fed them.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spirit Wings,

Great story! Do you have some pics of yours? I think mine may be a croos between a Cochin.

Lets see what happens!

Kevin

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
most of the good egg layers seem to not sit the eggs, not always but they bred them for eggs not hatching. alot of bantams are good sitters, esp the silkies. here a pic of the baby ducks and their chicken mom, she is a nankin hen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts