Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience of pigeons who pluck their own feathers out? I've been reading in posts about vets who put to sleep pigeons for ailments that could have been treated and it got me thinking about a modena fancy pigeon i used to have. Out of the blue one day it stripped its feathers from its chest, quite a bit of blood and pidg was a bit stressed. I took it to a an out of hours vet who cleaned it and gave me it back, the next day it had plucked more out and there was more bleeding, it was a mess, so i took it back to the same vet and they said sometimes birds pluck themselves for no reason and they wont be stopped so they put it to sleep.
Is there an effective treatment for this if it ever happens again?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
He put a bird to sleep because he was plucking his feathers? This vet needs to do a lot of reading and re-educating.
Parrots usually pluck their feathers. I saw many naked parrots while I worked at the vets clinic.
It is very rare that pigeons do it. While parrots do it out of boredom or stress or whatever pigeons usually do it when they have mites or some other physical condition.
First you treat for mites, if that doesn't work you have to check of skin conditions.
There are shampoos that can help with the itching.
Certainly do not let anybody put a bird to sleep because it is plucking it's feathers. Treat the cause that makes him do it.

Reti

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I agree with Reti 100%.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Doesn't seem that vet knew much about birds. Was it an avian vet?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That's horrifying that the vet would put the bird to sleep for feather plucking! This is a widely known (and often treatable, if not completely curable) problem that birds have, especially companion birds such as parrots. What a shame your vet wasn't more knowledgeable!! There are always several things to try before euthanizing; you would be amazed at some of the terribly injured pigeons people here have nursed back to health, so feather plucking I think we could help with for sure. Hopefully you won't have that problem with any other birds, but I am sorry to hear about your modena.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It can also be a symptom of giardia.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
We have an ex-homer who somehow got a small wound on his breast, and picked at it, and all round it - wouldn't leave it alone. He was in danger of having a big bald place. Cynthia made him a 'pigeon sweater' from an old sock, and eventually we managed to get it on him so he couldn't pull it off or get tangled. Anyway, he picked at the sweater instead, and before long the wound was all cleared up and his feathers were back looking fine.

John

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
We have an ex-homer who somehow got a small wound on his breast, and picked at it, and all round it - wouldn't leave it alone. He was in danger of having a big bald place. Cynthia made him a 'pigeon sweater' from an old sock, and eventually we managed to get it on him so he couldn't pull it off or get tangled. Anyway, he picked at the sweater instead, and before long the wound was all cleared up and his feathers were back looking fine.

John
Gee, that's a cute idea!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

John
What an idea! Love it!!:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the replys, it was just a general animal vet but obviously wont be going back there again. Was a big shame as was only quite young bird but looked in such a state that that i just trusted them when they said that was the best thing to do. live and learn

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm sorry your vet told you the bird had to be put down.

My 15 yr old (Acid, he'll be 16 in less than 4 weeks) started plucking the feathers on his chest after his spat wearing a collar (due to a wing amputation from bone cancer). Anyways he went after the feathers above the collar because that was all he could preen. I'm in the process of making him a special collar. Other than that he's a happy bird, no need to be put down.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Aside from parasite problems, feather plucking, especially in the lower areas, can be a sign of severe abdominal pain as well. Most of the time, that too is caused by parasites, just the internal kind.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
thanks for the replys, it was just a general animal vet but obviously wont be going back there again. Was a big shame as was only quite young bird but looked in such a state that that i just trusted them when they said that was the best thing to do. live and learn
You couldn't have known any better, of course no one is implying that. ;) It happens all too often with vets that just don't know enough but treat anyway-often as best as they can with the knowledge they have.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Another example of "No Bird - No Problem" philosophy. It is sad but it is happening more often than normal. This is actually one of main reasons why I joined this forum, to be able to help birds myself and share experience with others.
I believe that veterinarians should be making some sort of Hippocratic Oath too.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My goal is to become a certified Avian Vet some day, so at least you'll know of one that won't put a bird down just because she doesn't know what to do :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts