Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've tried to get a direct link to this but have not been successful. If you Google Pigeons, Santa Monica you will find a number of articles. This was forwarded to me by one of my cat rescue friends who has rescued and brought me a couple of pigeons.

Terry
--------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 4:11 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Santa Monica Set to Kill Pigeons

Santa Monica Set to Kill Pigeons
Santa Monica City Hall Protest:
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
1685 Main St., Santa Monica, CA
5:00 pm

The Santa Monica City Council is taking action to try to improve the water quality at the local pier - by killing the pigeons!

Although the Council has no studies to support the hypothesis that pigeons are the reason for poor water quality, the Council has voted to put a net under the portion of the pier near where the water samples are drawn to exclude pigeons from the roosts they have used for 50 years - to see if perhaps this might possibly improve the water samples!

We will have a press conference in front of Santa Monica City Hall at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, August 11th before the City Council meets at 6:00 pm. The City Hall is located at 1685 Main St., Santa Monica, CA 90401. Let us know if you are coming and tell us if you want us to make a sign for you!

We need your help stopping this. Please call and e-mail the committee members from now until Tuesday night!!!

Get the Facts:
There was no water quality information incriminating the pigeons directly in the water quality ratings. That was just a suggestion by Heal the Bay, who needs to reverse that suggestion.
Pigeons have chicks year round - nesting pigeons and babies too young to fly will starve to death trapped behind the net. This is not the way to run an experiment!
It is impossible to relocate nests as Bird Busters say they will. Babies will be killed in the process and parents will not be able to find their nests.
This will not reduce the pigeon population (if the birds are actually the cause of the bacteria in the water). It will merely relocate them a few yards away and the number of birds will continue to grow.
There is an effective and humane solution to reduce the pigeon population - an aggressive Ovo-Control program (like birth control for pigeons) with 10 feeders will reduce the pigeon population by about 50% per year.
The net costs $107,000. The aggressive Ovo-Control program is about $10,000 per year for the first 2 years and then becomes less as the number of birds decreases.
This action to disrupt and kill birds to see if it might possibly change water quality does not make any sense from a humane point of view.

Please write a letter to every councilmember to let them know how you feel about this issue! Here is a sample letter you can use:

Mr. Ken Genser, Mayor
Santa Monica City Council
1685 Main Street, Room 209
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Dear Mayor Genser and Members of the Santa Monica City Council,

A July 30, 2009 Los Angeles Times article indicated that the Santa Monica City Council voted to place netting under a section of the pier where many pigeons roost in order "to reduce bacterial pollution caused by pigeon droppings and other debris". The article goes on to say that "the city teamed up with Heal the Bay to identify the source: pigeon feces were determined to be the likely cause". However, it appears the Council has no studies to support the hypothesis that pigeons roosting under the pier are the reason for poor water quality at the pier.

The netting process will cause destruction of the pigeon chicks that are in their nests and too young to fly. Since pigeons reproduce throughout the year, there is no time in which nestlings would not be present. If attempts are made to move nests, many chicks will fall into the water and drown and others that may be fortunate enough to have their nests moved successfully will starve to death because parents will not be able to find them. It is not feasible to rescue and care for the number of nestling chicks that would be present at any given time.

This action is inhumane.

As to the overall pigeon population, itself: A fiscally responsible and logical approach would be to reduce their overall numbers over a 3-year period by using a proven, effective and harmless birth control method such as OvoControl. With a comprehensive program utilizing enough feeders in strategic locations, the pigeon population can be decreased by about 50% per year. In three years, a hypothetical population of 1,000 pigeons would be reduced to about 250 and continue to decline each year thereafter. This program prohibits egg hatchability and is harmless to the adults. This program is carefully designed to prevent other kinds of birds from feeding at the feeders and, at the same time, insures that each female pigeon receives the minimum effective dose.

A comprehensive program for approximately 1,000 pigeons would require ten feeders in ten different, strategic locations for the cost of about $15,000 per year for the first two years. After that, the cost of the program would drop considerably because it is determined by the number of birds using the feeders.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]

Your council members are:

Mayor Pro Tempore Pam O'Connor

Mayor Pro Tempore Pam O'Connor has served on the Santa Monica City Council since 1994. Her current term expires in November 2010. More >>

Contact Information:
1685 Main Street, Room 209, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Message (310)458-8201
Fax (310)458-1621
[email protected]

Richard Bloom

Councilmember Bloom has served on the Santa Monica City Council since 1999. His current term expires in November 2012. More >>

Contact Information:
Message (310)458-8201
Fax (310)458-1621
[email protected]

Gleam Davis

Councilmember Davis was appointed to serve on the Santa Monica City Council to finish Herb Katz's unexpired term on February 24, 2009. Her current term expires in November 2010.

Contact Information:
Message (310)458-8201
Fax (310)458-1621
[email protected]

Robert Holbrook

Councilmember Robert Holbrook has served on the Santa Monica City Council since 1990. His current term expires in November 2010.

Contact Information:
760 Ermont Place, Santa Monica, CA 90402
Home (310)394-1094
Fax (310)393-7948
[email protected]

Kevin McKeown

Councilmember Kevin McKeown has served on the Santa Monica City Council since 1998. His current term expires in November 2010. More >>

Contact Information:
848-E 16th Street, Santa Monica, 90403
Home (310) 393-3639
Fax (310) 393-3609 home
Fax (310) 458-1621 office
[email protected]

Bobby Shriver

Councilmember Bobby Shriver has served on the Santa Monica City Council since 2004. His current term expires in November 2012. More >>

Contact Information:
Message (310)458-8201
Fax (310)458-1621
[email protected]

Forward email

This email was sent to [email protected] by [email protected].
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
Email Marketing by

Voice For The Animals | 2633 Lincoln Blvd. | #202 | Santa Monica | CA | 90405

·
Registered
754 Posts
net

I live in Michigan so I won't be there but are you suggesting I write the council members anyway? I will do so because my thought would not be the water but side walks and buildings where they nest would get most of the pooh not the water, ridiculous. I think the birth control is a wonderful idea, are they aware of this system? I think they could spend the savings on they human society and stop euthanizing all animals, seems like killing is always there only answer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Pigeons are nesting there for last 50 years!!!
Who is the genius that noticed after 50 years bad water quality and accused pigeons for that?
When it turns up that quality doesn't improve who will be next polar bears???
Every flipi'n pool company can analyze reason for poor water quality in South Africa. Do they need some brain imports from third world country?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts