Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several days I have opened the coop and let any out who wanted but few have taken the offer. For several days it was just 5 or 6 of the 36 birds. Today there were 15 outside. But they don't fly. They just flutter to the ground by ones and twos then all together they fly up to the roof of the coop and just walk around on the roof. Eventually they flew up into a nearby tree and just sat around up there and then back to the roof and started trying to figure out how to get back inside.
Are they just lazy or is freedom so frightening they're not sure they want to take the plunge?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
It could be a variation of reasons. It is possible that there may have been a predatory bird near by and they sense it is still in the area. Also,with the temperatures changing now, and it gets cold where you are, they probably feel safe at home. If they want to get back in, they feel safe secure and taken care of and want to make sure they stay there. I have 4 of my 10 that are considered releasable, but they have made it clear to me more than once that they are staying.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It could be a variation of reasons. It is possible that there may have been a predatory bird near by and they sense it is still in the area. Also,with the temperatures changing now, and it gets cold where you are, they probably feel safe at home. If they want to get back in, they feel safe secure and taken care of and want to make sure they stay there. I have 4 of my 10 that are considered releasable, but they have made it clear to me more than once that they are staying.
Smart birds.

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Are you feeding these birds before they go out? If so you should limit there feeding times to twice a day at the same time each day then let them out about 30mins prier to feeding that way they will also trap faster to eat. Best of luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Coyote Joe, I have the same problem. I let them out and they do the same thing. I want them to fly but they won't. Most of the time, they walk on the ground and look for seeds, rocks, etc. I'll call them and trap them when it's feeding time. Funny. I wanted to see some of my performance birds fly but they won't. I let them out twice a day before they get fed. I don't know what to do. Anyone?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
as anarrowescape said they should not be full, full birds do not fly well, or do birds that do not feel well for any number of reasons, they should of been trap trained as well to know how to get back in quick, young birds do not fly well either ,they take their time getting used to the outdoors...what kind of pigeons are these? and how old? also if you have healthy birds, that have been trapped trained and are hungry enough to trap in when called..(they should know your feed call as well) you can flag them, meaning holding a flag and waving it to get them to fly for how ever long you are wanting them to, this should not be done with young birds first out of the loft, only when they have been flying and grouping on their own.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can actually teach them to fly longer with a flag? I didn't know that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do any of the ferals go out? Or are they content to stay in?
Yes, the ferals that aren't setting eggs do go outside but are no more inclined than the others to get far from the coop. I did have one Roller which made it fifty yards to the house and just sat all afternoon on the house roof. It couldn't seem to remember where it came from. After dark I found it sitting on the cloths line under the porch roof and I netted it in my hat and took it back to the coop. Rather weak on the homing instinct I'd say.:D
I have a mixture of ferals, Rollers, Homers and kings. Of course the kings have no interest in going out, that's no surprise, they don't even get onto the upper pearch boards which lead outside, but I am surprised that only a few of the Homers and Rollers want to venture out. Pretty much the same few birds ever time. One little black guy I call "********" is only five weeks old and is always one of the first out. He's a Homer/Roller cross, quite small but very advanced for his age. I saw him doing the macho strut & coo thing yesterday.
I've been letting them out mid-day, about half way between morning and evening feedings and only on warm sunny days, which was pretty much all of the past week. I don't even remember the last time I saw a hawk around here.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
You can actually teach them to fly longer with a flag? I didn't know that.
yes, you waive the flag not to freak them out, but just enough to get them to stay up. then when your done let them settle and call them in to eat. it is done with homers not mixed breed pigeons that do not have the calling so to speak to fly up in tight groups like homers are bred for.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes, the ferals that aren't setting eggs do go outside but are no more inclined than the others to get far from the coop. I did have one Roller which made it fifty yards to the house and just sat all afternoon on the house roof. It couldn't seem to remember where it came from. After dark I found it sitting on the cloths line under the porch roof and I netted it in my hat and took it back to the coop. Rather week on the homing instinct I'd say.:D
I have a mixture of ferals, Rollers, Homers and kings. Of course the kings have no interest in going out, that's no surprise, they don't even get onto the upper pearch boards which lead outside, but I am surprised that only a few of the Homers and Rollers want to venture out. Pretty much the same few birds ever time. One little black guy I call "********" is only five weeks old and is always one of the first out. He's a Homer/Roller cross, quite small but very advanced for his age. I saw him doing the macho strut & coo thing yesterday.
I've been letting them out mid-day, about half way between morning and evening feedings and only on warm sunny days, which was pretty much all of the past week. I don't even remember the last time I saw a hawk around here.
ok, this group is not going to act like purebred homers, so this is what they will do if let out, as far as the kings, I would'nt even be letting them out, they would be a fast meal for a predator. the roller and ferals well you can train them like homers ,but if the rest of the flock are not flying they won't either. I would say if you want some performance birds get some.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
yes, you waive the flag not to freak them out, but just enough to get them to stay up. then when your done let them settle and call them in to eat. it is done with homers not mixed breed pigeons that do not have the calling so to speak to fly up in tight groups like homers are bred for.
Thanks for explaining that. That's interesting .

·
Registered
790 Posts

I do this when I loft fly my birds after keeping them locked up for a week or so. They tend to be lazy so this keeps them from landing back on the roof fast. I just wave it around then leave it up on our house roof top until I feel like letting them come down. Some of my lazy birds would land on the neighbor's roof and even ignore the flag and still come back to the loft. I just take the lazy ones for a 20 or more mile toss the next time and most of them learn... but i do have the hardcore lazy birds...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts