Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, we keep about 8 pigeons in a large aviary - they have lots of boxes inside there.

Numbers always fluctuate as they breed quite well and this year was a very good year resulting in perhaps a bit of overcrowding.

In the last week I have found a dead pigeon nearly every morning - no outward signs of anything untoward. I have been watching more closely for signs and all I can see is that a pigeon will become unstable, unable to stand and sits on the floor with its wings touching the ground for stability I presume - in the morning its dead.

We have not changed food or anything else. The only things different are:

1) a hole in the roof so the floor has been wet for a few weeks although we do change the bedding regularly.

2) I used wood shavings for bedding a couple of weeks ago when I rang out of straw (never done that before). I did notice a few of them pecking away at the shavings and at the time I thought, hmm, have I made a mistake putting the shavings in.

3) We have used a different type of pickstone, its red, usually the one we use is grey.

I see today another one cant stand and no doubt it will be dead tomorrow. Am getting a bit concerned that we have a disease in there. We eat our pigeons so want to be sure I know what it is.

No use taking any to a vet - we live in rural France. Vets are only interested in lapdogs or cows!
Thanks v much for any advice.
:(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
from what you described you do have a disease in the loft. Im not sure what else to say if you can not use a vet. perhaps start over with healthy pigeons in a loft that does not get wet. Also the loft should not beable to allow wild birds or rodents in the loft, both can carry disease.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
The most common illness with which a symptom is sudden death (OK one day, dead the next) is Paratyphoid, although it generally has a slower course.

Otherwise, it is possibly a virus such as Adenovirus Type 2 or Circovirus. PMV is not normally of itself fatal, especially so quickly.

You could try Enrofloxacin (Baytril) but I have idea from where you obtain it in France.

Nothing much else comes to mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mKMu-olDB0
This is a video of pmv virus which sounds like what you are describing. Here is another link I read here.... http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/pigeonparamyxovirus.htm
You need to secure your loft and get it dry.
Thanks pigeonjim.
It doesn't look like that. They are literally just laying almost totally still on the ground, unable to even raise themselves on their legs. They are very lethargic. I can pick them up and turn them over and they don't even move at all which is very unusual. Their legs are kind of pulled up under their body. I picked one up yesterday and moved him into a sheltered box a couple of inches above ground level. He stood up a bit and was stretching his neck up - as if trying to loosen something that was stuck. Did that a few times and then settled down in the box - dead this morning.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would listen to John_d, he knows lots more than I do about this subject. I have never had a problem in my loft, knock on wood. The symptoms sounded like another post I read here, but as John pointed out the differences he would know best. Without a test it could probably be several things, but the Administrators here have a better guess than most. Good luck and I am sorry for your situation. Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John. I have had a look and I can get it sent from Spain to France from Merca Systems pigeon supplies.

Thanks for advice and fingers crossed!
Kind regards

·
Registered
276 Posts
may also be streptococcus (bovis...alls good, then lameness, overnight death...in which case you're going to need ampicillin, doxycycline or amoxillin type meds.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
It could be a number of things, parasites, bacterial, viral, lack of a key nurtient/mineral? thats the problem with guessing without having anyone tested. it is just guessing. so if the testing is not an option as they said in the first post, then what did they share about the loft? one- "hole in roof "which means it is wet and wild birds and vermin can get in.. both of those can cause disease. if it is viral then no antibiotic is going to cure it. if it is bacterial then which medicine is best to use against THIS strain of what ever it is.. if you are just shooting in the dark, use a broad spectrum antibiotic for the amount OF days is required. but if you can get that then you probably can find a vet, even in the country, a live stock vet may be of help to get meds. also you may not beable to eat these pigeons because of certain medications, or disease. IMO anyone who eats the birds should at least go the extra mile to see what they have before putting it in your own body.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ive had 5 die this month with similar symptoms , salmonella is my guess as I had this happen also a few years ago losing half a dozen on that occasion and after treatment all was ok, dissenfect loft and fix all holes , damp lofts are a breeding ground for this .

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
What did you treat them with, Jeff?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I dissenfected loft and applied baytryll to drinking water as well as a salmonella treatment which is no longer available from pigeon suppliers ,cant remember name of product to be honest , would be interested to know of any other salmonella treatment though if any other know which is readily available, as ive been informed by stockists that they are no longer allowed to sell it .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts