Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being retired now and looking for something to do I have converted a horse shed into a 12x18 foot pigeon loft using information from Foy's book. Now I just need some birds! Being new to this I don't really know what kind I would like except I think I'd like larger birds like Kings, Runts or large Homers. Living on social security I really can't afford anything very fancy and would like to keep shipping cost to the minimun as well. Pigeons being such naturally beautiful birds they don't need to be fancy. I'd like to start with maybe a dozen birds. Can anyone help me find birds for sale in my part of the world?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Check into this!!!

Hi Coyotejoe! Welcome to PT!

I wanted to stop in and let you know that one of our members here on PT is looking for homes for many Kings.

Her name is Elizabeth and you can contact her at: [email protected] also check out her blog.... http://www.rescuereport.org/

Right now she needs as much help as she can get! Many of us here have adopted from her, including myself and she is able to ship them straight to you, not to mention you'd be saving their lives! I encourage you to check it into it!:D;)
Also here is a thread that you can scan over: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/em...-animal-shelter-37281.html?highlight=Mickacoo

Hope this helps... she is WONDEFRUL to work with!!!:cool:

By the way I was born and raised in CO and on my way out their next week!.. Hope the weather is cooler than 115!!! :eek:LOL...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey...I work with Elizabeth on her King rescue projects...as luck would have it I am heading to Fort Collins/and Grand Lake area at the end of July and might be able to bring a few (6-8) with me for you if Elizabeth got you approved as an adoptive home and if you could meet me where I am headed. (We will be in an RV and not very mobile...) That would save on shipping costs AND it would save a bunch of King pigeons lives...win-win.:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thank you both so very much!:) I've sent her an email and we'll see what we can work out.
As to 115 degrees in Colorado, I sure hope not! We're located between Canon City and Westcliff, an area called Copper Guch at about 7,500 feet and it hasn't gotten above 85 here so far, but when I drive down to Canon City it does get over 100 down there and even hotter in Pubelo. Fortunately my loft is located where it wil be nicely shaded by tall Ponderosa Pines and has screened windows on three sides.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Trying to reach CoyoteJoe

Hello- my e-mail to you bounced so I'm replying here:

Hi, Joe!

Thank you so much for your interest in adopting rescued king pigeons! We definitely have lots of wonderful pigeons in need of great homes.

Are you familiar with king pigeons at all? These are birds that were bred to be eaten as squab and that either were 'set free' by kind-hearted folks who saw them at the live food markets and didn't realize they couldn't survive in the wild or that somehow escaped or were dumped by the breeder.

They are large-bodied (for maximum meat yield) and poor flyers. They can fly but they're slow and clumsy and magnets for hawks. They do though make very sweet pets. All my adopters love theirs.

So- my first thought when I see your beautifully constructed loft is that you'd need to add an aviary section so that these non-free flying birds could have some sun and breeze and open area to lounge and show off. I think it would be VERY doable if you're open to non-free flown pigeons.

I've cc'd my fellow MickaCoo volunteer, Diane (Kippermom on PT) and I'm sure she'll have some thoughts to share as well. She's teaching me a lot.

And please spend some time on my website at www.RescueReport.org to get to know more about these birds. I'd especially recommend this post- http://www.rescuereport.org/2008/04/success-stories.html to get a sense about how other adopters accomodate their kings and this video to learn more about the kings' story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYtRwppfh8

I've attached the MickaCoo adoption application and l look forward to putting your free time to good use caring for rescued king pigeons! ((can't attach app here- is there another e-mail address I can try sending it to?))

8 ]

Elizabeth

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey, thank you both so very much!:) I've sent her an email and we'll see what we can work out.
As to 115 degrees in Colorado, I sure hope not! We're located between Canon City and Westcliff, an area called Copper Guch at about 7,500 feet and it hasn't gotten above 85 here so far, but when I drive down to Canon City it does get over 100 down there and even hotter in Pubelo. Fortunately my loft is located where it wil be nicely shaded by tall Ponderosa Pines and has screened windows on three sides.
You are so VERY very welcome!..... I know exactly where you live.... it's beautiful down there. Our Family cabin is way North from you.. up near 470 and 285... Bailey to be exact!... Rumor has it its only 80 there... we are looking forward to cool weather for a week...!!!! :eek:

Pleased keep us updated as the process with Elizabeth comes along... I'll be anxious to hear of any news!...
Much Success to you CJ!;):D

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Ohh, I hope this works out! I know you will just fall in love with the Kings, Joe. They are such special birds, I have some myself mixed in with my other guys and gals. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to all who have replied! I think I have birds coming, some white Kings and some ferals and with the dozen rollers I just received from Keith that will be about all I can handle for now. If and when I want more I'll sure know where to look now, this site is GREAT!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts