Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I live in Florida and under a bridge near my home there are tons of pigons with extreme pigon pox.
At least ten are completely blind from it, ten more have it on their mouths, eyes, even their legs!

This is insane, they all have giant mushroom looking growths, (which is why I think it's pigon pox, looks really similar to photos on Google.) Coming from everywhere, there's like 20 dead pigons and when I called the local animal control they said it wasn't their problem.

Is there anything I can do, it's dozens of birds in various stages of distress, most of them can fly but all of the blind ones cannot, they just run away from noise and flap their wings without taking off.

Is there someone I can call, or anything I can do to help them?
Also, why is it so many in one spot if anyone knows?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
That must be horrible. Pox are spread by bites from infected mosquitoes and is very contagious, that's why so many are affected.

There's a group on Facebook: Palomacy Help Group for pigeon and dove rescue. You can join them and put up a post with some photos on there. Members are very helpfull, although I'm sure any rescue centre will euthanize these pigeons.

I guess you don't have room for all these pigeons? Pox on the legs only is not so bad, pox around the eyes is the big problem.

If I were you, remove all the dead birds and bury them somewhere safe. Bring the worst ones home and give supportive care. Take an insecticide (something that won't harm the pigeons) and spray every dark corner where mosquitoes can breed. Do this regularly to get rid of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That must be horrible. Pox are spread by bites from infected mosquitoes and is very contagious, that's why so many are affected.

There's a group on Facebook: Palomacy Help Group for pigeon and dove rescue. You can join them and put up a post with some photos on there. Members are very helpfull, although I'm sure any rescue centre will euthanize these pigeons.

I guess you don't have room for all these pigeons? Pox on the legs only is not so bad, pox around the eyes is the big problem.

If I were you, remove all the dead birds and bury them somewhere safe. Bring the worst ones home and give supportive care. Take an insecticide (something that won't harm the pigeons) and spray every dark corner where mosquitoes can breed. Do this regularly to get rid of them.
The bridge they are under has a canal that runs right under it, so I don't really know if I can do anything about the mosquito's (also its florida)

Am I at any risk of catching it from the dead birds when I clean them up? Or the live ones.
Google says its not transmissible to humans, but Google also says feed them milk, which is apparently a big no-no.

And lately, is there a safe way to go about catching the blind ones, I don't want them freaking out and hurting themselves when I try.

Thank you.
Here's a picture of one.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Poor pigeons! No, you won't catch anything from them. Just wash your hands well after handling them. Get a large fishing net to catch them. Approach them from the side that they can't see well. It will be easy to catch them. Keep us updated. The one good thing about pox is, that when recovered they will be immune for life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor pigeons! No, you won't catch anything from them. Just wash your hands well after handling them. Get a large fishing net to catch them. Approach them from the side that they can't see well. It will be easy to catch them. Keep us updated. The one good thing about pox is, that when recovered they will be immune for life.
Updating on the situation.

I enlisted the help of a woman who previously took in five baby ducks for us when we rescued them out of a canal after their mother died.
We spent the afternoon catching them all by throwing quilts over them, except for the ones that could still fly because wtf are we gonna do about that.
We then force fed them peas and sunflowers that she had brought, this was not fun at all.
Like, I held them wrapped up in a shirt while she opened their mouths with one hand and stuffed the food in with the other, meanwhile they flapped their wings and panicked.
She's going to take them to her sister's property where she took the baby ducks and other birds she rescues, she said in a few weeks they should be fine and she'll release them.

Unfortunately, throughout the night some more died, and some just disappeared, she said they were probably eaten by cats but we didn't see any feathers or anything like that so maybe they just wandered off?

All in all, "fun" day wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Shout out to Satie Marie for taking in yet another bunch of birds.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I'm glad you got some help. Removing the sick pigeons (even if they don't survive) will help the others as this is highly contagious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts