Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I let them out and today they sat on my shoulders (One on each shoulder). I was so happy that they started to trust me a bit, also walked around them sitting on my hand and slowly they climbed up on my shoulders.

Their wings were clipped a month ago and but they usually fly to the top of the coop (landing board) than enter the coop. I wanted them to get the idea of the surrounding so I was trying to toss one to the first floor extension we have on the side of the house. I guess it used its muscles and took an extra leap and flew to the top of the roof :p. It has been 2 hours been looking down but cannot gather courage to fly down.

Is this Pigeon just playing with me or what? Other partner is sitting at the landing board trying to call its mate back down. It's about 1:30pm and I have seen falcon flying low pass my backyard, have my fingers crossed in hopes it's not his area patrol day.

Is it just that pigeon can't get it's courage to fly down?
Also, how long does it take clipped wings to grow back?

Wings were clipped about 1/2" beyond secondary.

I know it is just game of waiting for me but I have evening meeting, hope all goes well.

Yes I have tried food calls and all those, any other ideas?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
why did you clip wings? he can not fly as well now and will be a sitting target for the bird of prey. when you let your pigeons out for the first time, it is best to let them make the desicions and just let them get used to the surroundings without you interfearing. to get them back in they need to know your feed call and be hungry so they will want to come back in. that is if you have trained them to do so. he may be fearful to fly down as he has clipped wings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why did you clip wings? he can not fly as well now and will be a sitting target for the bird of prey. when you let your pigeons out for the first time, it is best to let them make the desicions and just let them get used to the surroundings without you interfearing. to get them back in they need to know your feed call and be hungry so they will want to come back in. that is if you have trained them to do so. he may be fearful to fly down as he has clipped wings.
I got them with clipped wings, I let them out daily in the backyard and stick around.

Silly me to toss him to higher grounds, but learned my lesson. So eventually climbed up on the roof to get the piji down. Now happy and safe in the coop.

But thanks for the advice.

Question still remains unanswered. How long does it take for them to grow their wings back?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
till the next molt. I would not let them out till they can fly well, I would not let them out at all if they are older homers. what breed of pigeon do you have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rollers. And thanks for answering. I was told that in 3 weeks they will grow them back. Plus I see that they plucking them out one by one and one have full length primary grown back, almost all the way to it's tail.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
depends on when they were cut, if the feather is cut it does not grow from the end, it is only replaced with a new feather, they don't grow like hair does. so when he molts the clipped ones, he will grow new ones, which is after he molts.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Willow came to us with clipped wings... it took a LONG time for her to grow her new feathers... about 6 months! Until then.... I wouldn't suggest letting them out at all.

I guess I look at it like this:
It seems like the nice thing to do ... to let them get there exercise...and keep them from boredom.

BUT... You have a great COOP... and I know that your out there seeing them a lot, If you let them out and their wings aren't fully grown, even if you hadn't tossed her up to a higher place .... eventually when a few of the feathers start to grow... she is going to be able to fly higher... and what if its in a tree where you cant just climb to get her next time...

I'd just be sad if I read that a hawk got her..:(. you know what I mean... I think its best to wait..;). until she has Full flight feathers, not only for your sanity.... BUT for their safety!:D Hope all that made sence! LOL...

I am VERY happy that she is back in and safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts