Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
pigeon

Hi. I live in Thailand.... far from the city!!! We have a lot of them here.

You should come live in Thailand! Also we have green pigeons and other kinds.

No way I can get any for you though... sorry.

PS. I used to work in a zoo in the UK that had these.... I don't recommend them as aviary or pet birds... because they need heat and humidity in the winter, and the worst thing is their huge amounts of watery slimy poops they squirt everywhere... as their diet is wet mushy fruit (diet is hard to get right with the fruit selection in UK and they can suffer from malnutrition easily).

My advise is to get some white domestic pigeons and colour them like your photo.

I have a flock of white homers I colour bright colours and they look awesome flying in the sky!!! Just make sure its food colouring you use as its non toxic to the birds.. and you can also use the bright wide marker pens like people use to highlight things... as they are also none toxic.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Hope you are just kidding about coloring white birds. That can make them ill. Please look at the July 26 Palomacy Facebook post...haven't been able to figure out how to put the link here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
colour

Hope you are just kidding about coloring white birds. That can make them ill. Please look at the July 26 Palomacy Facebook post...haven't been able to figure out how to put the link here.

Sorry don't have facebook.

If you use food colouring its harmless.. and it wears off after a few weeks so they go back to white.

I have been colouring my birds for years... with no problems.

Mostly I just put food colouring into their bathing water... so they colour themselves when the have a bath.. I don't even have to handle them.

I have used the none toxic highlighter pens to colour their tails or flight feathers a different colour. Its very easy and quick and causes them no more stress than simply holding the pigeon to inspect if for its health or to move it to a breeding box, remove a leg ring, put into a cage for a show, etc.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I don't have Facebook...I just type "Palomacy Facebook" and can read all the posts even without joining Facebook. Just scroll down to the July 26 post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hi

I don't have Facebook...I just type "Palomacy Facebook" and can read all the posts even without joining Facebook. Just scroll down to the July 26 post.
I can't view the article... I found the photo and comments... but I need a FB account to read the story.

From the paragraph above the photo.. and peoples comments... it seems the bird was dehydrated and starving after being released.

It was nothing to do with the colouring of it. My birds are not starving or lost or dehydrated. And as I said they don't get stressed by it... they colour themselves mostly in the bath water.

Why do you think its harmful to the bird? How can none toxic food colouring be toxic to them?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dying pigeons is inhumane. Toxic or not toxic it shouldn't be done to those poor birds.
How is it inhumane? Its not causing the birds suffering or misery!

When people see my birds they are amazed and start to take an interest in pigeons... changing their view about them... realizing they are beautiful, amazing and very interesting birds... not just 'rats with wings' as many people think.

I put food colouring in the bathing water... they all jump in and bath... and get coloured. They don't care in the least.

I also dye my small white dogs ears and tail with colours. She looks so cute. Again I just do it when I wash and shampoo her and cut her hair. Would you think cutting a dogs fur and washing a dog is also inhumane?

How is colouring a bird any different from putting a ring on its leg?

I really don't understand how you thing its cruel.

·
Registered
555 Posts
How is it inhumane? Its not causing the birds suffering or misery!

When people see my birds they are amazed and start to take an interest in pigeons... changing their view about them... realizing they are beautiful, amazing and very interesting birds... not just 'rats with wings' as many people think.

I put food colouring in the bathing water... they all jump in and bath... and get coloured. They don't care in the least.

I also dye my small white dogs ears and tail with colours. She looks so cute. Again I just do it when I wash and shampoo her and cut her hair. Would you think cutting a dogs fur and washing a dog is also inhumane?

How is colouring a bird any different from putting a ring on its leg?

I really don't understand how you thing its cruel.
pigeons are beautiful the way they are, whether they're white, gray or any other color. People who think they are "rats with wings" are just stupid (although I love rats). I wouldn't dye my pigeons' feathers so that people "like" them, I would educate those people instead.

yeah, I don't like those rings either, because we can't see what's going on underneath. One of my pigeons was a racer (I found her with a broken wing on the street) and had a ring, when we removed it, we were shocked to see that her leg was deformed because the ring was probably too tight.

what I liked about your first post is that you suggested the OP not to keep one of these pigeons in an aviary because it would be hard to find food for them and could become malnourished, which makes me believe you actually care about them.

I lot of women dye their hair, is that inhumane?
women (or men) CHOOSE to dye their OWN hair. We deciding to dye animals' feathers/fur is not OK in my opinion.

·
Registered
238 Posts
pigeon

pigeons are beautiful the way they are, whether they're white, gray or any other color. People who think they are "rats with wings" are just stupid (although I love rats). I wouldn't dye my pigeons' feathers so that people "like" them, I would educate those people instead.

Yes you are quite right... they are amazing animals... so are all my pets... I have chickens, dogs, budgies, turtles, fish, laughing thrushes, dogs, and lots of wildlife on my property. I am always surrounded by animals.. and its then you can see they all have feelings, emotions and different personality.. even my turtles... some are shy, some are aggressive and moody, etc. I used to keep husky coloured rats in the UK... they were very sweet and loving pets. Sadly we seem to be in the minority about our love for all life.. most humans seem to not give a single thought about most animals.

I do educate the people about my pigeons.... I don't dye them for that purpose though.. I do it because I love seeing the rainbow or colours in the sky.. they make a fantastic sight.

yeah, I don't like those rings either, because we can't see what's going on underneath. One of my pigeons was a racer (I found her with a broken wing on the street) and had a ring, when we removed it, we were shocked to see that her leg was deformed because the ring was probably too tight.

[If people use rings designed for pigeons.. they should never be too tight. They are very useful to identify which bird is which and so you know the age, breeding records and family of the bird... so you don't accidently let 2 siblings mate together. I also ring my parakeets for that reason.. as well as my exotic soft bill singing birds.. so people know they are not stolen form the wild and are bred by me in my aviaries. [/B]

what I liked about your first post is that you suggested the OP not to keep one of these pigeons in an aviary because it would be hard to find food for them and could become malnourished, which makes me believe you actually care about them.

Thanks. Yes fruit doves / pigeons, are really only suited to zoos.. they were one of the worst birds to clean out... apart from the penguins.. they stank!!!

women (or men) CHOOSE to dye their OWN hair. We deciding to dye animals' feathers/fur is not OK in my opinion.
I respect your opinion. I would say that be are deciding to keep and care for pigeons.. its not the birds decision either. I agree that catching wild birds and colouring them would be really wrong... but personally can not see any harm in colouring our pets.. so long as its not stressful for them and its not going to harm their health.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts