Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to long ago, you guys identified the colors of our birds for us ... and then I asked "What would make a pigeon's feathers PINK?" Yes - PINK .... like .... well .... um ....... PINK.

I don't think you believed me and, at the time, I didn't have photos to prove that I hadn't dipped her in paint. Here she is - a Spring '08 Roller girl - previously ID'd as Ash Red Pied (or Splash). Soooooo - whatchathink? (btw, her mother is also the mother of our newest arrival)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you raise this bird or did you get it from someone?
We did get her from someone else...who did tell "us" the reason behind the pink. BUT .... the "I" of the "Us" wasn't there :rolleyes: and the "reason" has since been forgotten. I will send the guy an eMail....but thought you guys might know. I'll be sure to pass on what the "I" learn :D

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'd agree that the pink has been artificially placed on that lovely pigeon either intentionally or accidentally. It IS quite pretty, however! I have a white pigeon that came in as a rescue about two years ago. He had bright purple under one of his wings that has finally faded to a lovely kind of lavender color. Even without the pink, your bird is quite lovely!

Terry

·
Registered
318 Posts
We did get her from someone else...who did tell "us" the reason behind the pink. BUT .... the "I" of the "Us" wasn't there :rolleyes: and the "reason" has since been forgotten. I will send the guy an eMail....but thought you guys might know. I'll be sure to pass on what the "I" learn :D
The pink coloring is halloween hair spray. I use it on my rollers to ID different birds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a white homer that had pink under its wing. i think it was the red cream from a cake box that got on the bird, it didn't disappear, everytime the bird flap its wing you see it...............

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MYSTERY SOLVED! ... and, of course, all the pros here on PT were right!!!

The breeder/prior owner said he had dyed his pijs with food coloring for a display but that the color had faded in the sun....leaving just a bit. Whooooh! Glad my future Roller wasn't one of the purple or green ones .... He sent me the web site of a guy in Hawaii who does this as a business ... for parties and other celebrations ... kinda cool - - - looked like he was releasing a rainbow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts