Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have two eggs that are oops babies, they were laid while I was away on vacation and too far along for me to destroy with a clean conscience. I noticed that both the eggs had pipped around 35 hours ago, one has made a little of progress, the other hasn't. I don't believe the membrane has been pierced, I can't see any beak or baby just cracking along the egg. This is the first time the parents have sat on viable eggs, ( I usually swap for wooden) and they are young, about a year old. I am a bit worried about the babies it is going to be -9 celcius tonight and they are out in a tiny coop. I am not new to squabs and have raised newborns before, I am hopeful that the parents will rear them but am prepared with formula, heating pads, bottles etc if they don't. Is 35 hours too long for a pipping egg? Would it be better for me to bring the eggs inside and place on heating pad. I misted the eggs with a spray bottle this afternoon. but it hasn't helped them. At what point should I interfere? I know the dangers of helping babies out of shells and don't want to do it but also don't want them to suffocate or dry out. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe I am just being a worry wart.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hello. I can't answer the 35 hour question but l would let them be, even if they stop peeping. I have read and heard this from others and practice it. But spraying sounds like a good idea if the weather is very very hot: but it is probably humid and cold in CA as you have stated. I hope you agree. Sorry, if you don't. You see, i only keep birds that can survive the elements and the predators, so over worrying does not help me or the birds in the future because weak/uneducated young are only good for the cage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't make it, I poked a hole where they had pipped, I could see them and there was no movement, DIS. It's too bad, I should have listened to my gut instincts. Next time.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Not necessarily, if they come full term like that and dis, then it could be salmonella or ecoli contamination and they may have never made it. I would treat with an all in one, like 3 or 4 in one before breeding again. Treating for above mentioned and canker as well. Then set them up again if u want. I only ever hand one dis, medicated and have not had that problem since. Usually thats the pre breeding protocol.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ya, whenever u have a dis, you need to treat. Parents can appear well and be carriers, so treat with an all in one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts