Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
The quick and the exciting is Q and Walker are out flying the world again!
Last week (05.22.2009) Q checked out of zHollyHotel. I then clipped Q's curved beak with a nail clipper. It was honestly one of the sweetest things. Q sat on my lap in arm and allowed me to clip his beak and I swear he looked up to say thank you. We then went out to zSecretGarden, sat on a bench and watched the world. Q eventually got the nerve and jumped out to roam the garden, have a snack, some water and met zGuys that were hanging in the garden. Q didn't fly much which had me quite concerned. He even wandered out of the yard to the other side of the alley / however came running back when called. Adorable! He then went to the back door. I thought he wanted in / wasn't ready... But then he wouldn't allow me to catch him and ran to take cover in the garage. I was of course worried and beside myself thinking I'd messed up. I left him food and water and kept the door open for the day / evening... Q eventually came out and has been flying about and visits daily. :)
Walker (introduced us to the PigeonPot&TerraCottaClub /arrived 07.20.2008) checked out of the HollyHotel and we went out to zSecretGarden sat on the bench for all of a minute. Walker leaped from my arms to fly to the second floor. Up up and away ~ However returns daily :)
Yay!
PlaCida (arrived 07.05.2008 / left 10.31.2008 / returns 11.09.2008 frozen) is still inside. Flying but started limping again. So I'm taking a bit more time with PlaCida. Too I'm concerned for this bird as he seems to love playing with slinkies, making dresses, and covering oneself with blankets. hmmm.
BDG (bay-dew-g) (arrived 03.06.2008) is still hear resting the broken wing. Soon there will be test flight opportunities.
IndiGO (arrived 08.12.2008) broke out of zHollyHotel and is care taking the room. Yes, IndiGO has the entire room. What I have learned is IndiGO still can't fly. IndiGO does have the qualities of a very sweet watch pigeon. Whenever I open the door or get close to their room s/he runs over to see what's happening. Too, when cleaning s/he stays by my side. huh?
More to come... and someday I'll get photos on-line.
Wishing you all the best.
~ 4zp.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Well, it sounds like they (and you) are having adventures in pigeonland :)

Hope you will be able to keep tabs on Q, and grab him if his beak gets too long again. We have some (in aviary) who need very regular trims, but another we had was fine after one clipping.

John

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Well, it can be caused with even a slight misalignment of top/bottom or, more obviously, crossing of the beak when young due to something like canker and/or pox causing distortion, or damage to the lower beak so that becomes foreshortened.

We have three, though, who have no noticeable reason, so I guess it's just some kind of malfunction.

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting.
I can't say that I saw anything curved... just the top beak hooking down over the center of the lower beak. I too was surprised when trimming at how soft / pliable the beak was. I thought it would have been harder. Ever so interesting... and you have three of these curved beak guys.
I wonder what Q's health history is... I met Q last winter 11.20.2008 when he flew into my garage / cold, hungry and missing head feathers. He's a timid yet kind of scrappy feral.
You mentioned canker... etc. Were your birds ill when younger?
~ 4zp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
Walker and Q have frequently been visiting zsecretgarden and look great! :D
They are socializing with the others and seem to be doing well... whew...
Tomorrow if all goes well, BDG and / or PlaCida will begin test flights in the garage...
~ 4zp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up Up and away...
Flying free is BWG... :D
Next week PlaCida might stretch out to the world. Not today. Someone is having far to much fun with their slinky... Need I name names...:rolleyes:
Cheers!
~ 4zp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.