Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if everybody will be able to view this...it is about wood pigeons, although nobody in the clip calls them that and it is apparent that at least one person thinks they are evicted city pigeons. But at least there is no use of words like "vermin", "disease" or "culling".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7833671.stm

Cynthia

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
It will be interesting to see if it is ever figured out why the pigeons are there in such great numbers. I had been going to the local duck pond for years and years and had never seen a single pigeon there. Then, one day, there were three or four, and then maybe ten, and then maybe 30. Over the years since the first pigeons showed up, there are easily 80-100 pigeons there each day. Who knows why there were never any when I first started visiting this park and now there are a hundred or so.

Terry

·
Registered
632 Posts
Horrific !

I coudn't see the images using the link, so I googled 'pigeon plague'. One of the items that came up was in U-Tube, "20 Ways to Kill a Pigeon". There are no words to describe what I saw there (though some of the pigeons were dummies) and in a few other related entries, and that's why I'm not even inserting a link.

CAN WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT OBSCENITY?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I coudn't see the images using the link, so I googled 'pigeon plague'. One of the items that came up was in U-Tube, "20 Ways to Kill a Pigeon". There are no words to describe what I saw there (though some of the pigeons were dummies) and in a few other related entries, and that's why I'm not even inserting a link.

Flag it on Youtube as animal cruelty.

Terry

·
Registered
875 Posts
i saw that news article ,,some reckon the birds are migrants from e europe,escaping the harsh weather and lack of food,i also saw a few ferals including a white one in article,but mostly woodys and a couple of collered doves,while its nice to see so many pigeons,,,,being in britain,,,some people are bound to get thier knickers in a twist about the birds which worries me(our RSPB dont seem to like pigeons much)i got a RSPB calalogue to see if there were pigeon feeders in it,and alas there were devices to KEEP PIGEONS AWAY!!!not too impressed after that,its an impressive sight to see all those pigeons,but im waiting too hear all the moaning minnies complain about them!

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
There is an other thread on this subject which I posted to (pigeons in the news uk).I it remined me of our Passenger Pigeon and one can read the sad story about their demise. I would hope that our members in the UK would point out to those that want to get rid of these birds, would tell them about the loss of the wonderful bird the Passenger Pigeon GEORGE;)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Can you insert the link, Teresa? I don't have the heart to track it down, but we have to fight where we can.

I have been trying to fathom out why people are so cruel to, and about, pigeons. Is it because they are the only bird that some people recognise? canary Jayne is horrified by the number of toddlers that she hears saying things like "Why don't they kill the pigeons!" and "I hate pigeons". They are fed this diet of hatred so young.

Have you noticed that it is so much easier to propagate hatred than kindness?

Cynthia

Cynthia

·
Registered
632 Posts
Can you insert the link, Teresa? I don't have the heart to track it down, but we have to fight where we can.
Cynthia
It was the link that Terry posted, it looks like CG, but it's really disgusting viewing. Others are for real, and any adverse comments are met with torrents of abuse.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That was a fascinating video Cynthia. The poor Pigeons all looked so bewildered and kind of sad. It's hard to imagine that there is enough food to support all of them this time of the year in town.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Cynthia,

I'm glad you posted that news item. It was posted last night by Tuxedobaby, but we didn't see the film and couldn't work out if they were ferals or Woodies they were talking about.

Janet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts