Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
LeeLu, I tried to pm you, but it won't let me. This is what I get when I click on private message for you

LeeLu has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove LeeLu from the recipient list and send the message again.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well at least you can get them for free. That's a good thing. Mine usually get straw. They love the 9 inch and longer pine needles, but can't get those around here. At least I have never seen any. I used to buy them from a member who was on here and lives in Fla. Gee, I wonder if she will still send those.
Thanks for testing it out.
http://pinestraw.com/mulch/long-needle-pine-straw-mulch/

Not free but I have been a customer of their sample box for a couple of years and am very satisfied. I sure hope the price doesn't go up because of this post.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thanks rpalmer. I may try them. It cost me as much from the member in Fla, which included the shipping, but the pinestraw.com shipping is free. So you buy it for your birds?
I do have regular 4 inch pine needles around this area, and every fall we rake them up at the house of this older couple. They are glad to get some of them raked up, and we get free pine needles to mulch around different sections of our woodsy backyard. Works out great. I even use them under the aviary, and just rake them out and change them there. But as far as using for the nest boxes, my birds look at me like...."What do you expect us to do with those puny things?" I love pine needles. Wish we had the long ones here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
LeeLu, I tried to pm you, but it won't let me. This is what I get when I click on private message for you

LeeLu has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove LeeLu from the recipient list and send the message again.
Jay, i updated my contact list to include you, therefore, i will receive your pms. i just sent a message to you, reply to i and i will receive it! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks rpalmer. I may try them. It cost me as much from the member in Fla, which included the shipping, but the pinestraw.com shipping is free. So you buy it for your birds?
I do have regular 4 inch pine needles around this area, and every fall we rake them up at the house of this older couple. They are glad to get some of them raked up, and we get free pine needles to mulch around different sections of our woodsy backyard. Works out great. I even use them under the aviary, and just rake them out and change them there. But as far as using for the nest boxes, my birds look at me like...."What do you expect us to do with those puny things?" I love pine needles. Wish we had the long ones here.
Yes I only use them for the birds. They LOVE them. Some pairs will "carpet" the entire nest box with them. I have always gotten the 14 inch premium so I can not comment on anything else they offer. If you get a sample box you will be surprised at how much you get. I can't really guess how many nests you will get. But it will be more than you will expect.

I figure to get these shipped you you is the price of two boxes of tobacco stems before shipping on those and you will easily get 6 Xs the product.

No I get nothing for promoting these guys. But if they were screw ups I would go on about that. I can't image a pigeon not liking these since mine just love them over anything else.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Mine like them over anything else too. I love watching them collect them for their nests, and if you put those out with other things, they will usually grab the pine needles first.
c.hert, you really have to try them. Your birds will love them.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Oh LeeLu, the pine needles arrived just this afternoon! They are perfect. Very heavy and long. And very clean. Actually, these are even nicer than the ones I have ordered from the member in Fla. They're heavier. My birds are going to freak. LOL. That was really very nice of you to go out of your way like that, and I thank you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh LeeLu, the pine needles arrived just this afternoon! They are perfect. Very heavy and long. And very clean. Actually, these are even nicer than the ones I have ordered from the member in Fla. They're heavier. My birds are going to freak. LOL. That was really very nice of you to go out of your way like that, and I thank you.
Jay i am glad you finally got them :) Yes, they are clean and the smell is beautiful. The huge tree is in a grassy area, so the fallen needles stay clean...would you believe the ground is covered with them already! So, i will get my stash before the lawnmower does.

i will still use the bendable straws tho when the tree stops losing it's needles from the heat. i noticed the doves try and bend them in half, so i cut a few in half that way after they bend the top; can make their circle better being shorter. They like both actually, needles and the straws; but prefer the pine needles.

i know your doves will love them, they are nice and long and strong! Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They are wonderful for nesting. If I were you, I would be collecting all of them and storing them away for when the tree isn't dropping them. The lawn mower would starve! LOL.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts