Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I need urgent help with my rescued pet pigeon who is now 8mths old. I found out Pigo is a girl when she laid 2 eggs in late Jan (she doesn't have a mate). She didn't care for them so i slowly removed them and life went back to normal for both of us.

About 3 weeks later she gave me a surprise when she laid 2 more eggs. That was fast!:eek: She didn't care about these eggs either but i did catch her sitting on them on and off. Pigo made the bottom of my massage chair her nest and what i find strange is her habit of bringing twigs to the nest when the eggs are already laid. She didn't notice i removed the eggs but her bahaviour is becoming peculiar.

She doesn't want me around her, she won't eat, let alone allow me to feed her. She only drink water. When she sees me she would leave her nest and start pecking aggresively everything within her sight. I am worried in her change of behaviour.

Over the last 3 days she started sleeping outside of her nest, by the fringe, on a rug i placed for her. She won't move from the spot except when i come round or when she wants to poop.

My msg is long but i need help to understand what's gone wrong? Will she be her normal self again? Or is she going through stress and if so how do i help her. This is my first bird so i need all the advise i can get besides the info i got from Googgling. Please help馃槩

Registered
You should just leave her eggs when they get laid. She will incubate them and eventually lose interest. Do you supply her with regular calcium and added Vit D3 to prevent her getting eggbound?

Is she still eating well? What do her droppings look like?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for replying. I dont have much knowledge on keeping birds as pets. Whatever little i know is through reading online, and there are so many different opinions on the egg issue.

I rescued her when she was about 2 weeks old when she fell onto my balcony from the 12th floor of the building i live in. There aren't many help centres for pigeons here, let alone vets for pigeons so i took her in. Her feet are crippled from the fall as well as from pneumonia when she was 1mth old.

Ive placed fake eggs back in her nest this evening and she's been sitting on them since. I've also found out she needs the calcium and vitamins and have placed orders for whatever is available. She loves eating grit from the driveway so i've bought that too. Other than that she only eats versele-laga bird mix from the pet shop and sunflower seeds. That's all that she'd eat.

Her poop is darkish green and at times watery. Poops a lot more than usual. Can you tell me if her change in behaviour is due to the egg laying or is something wrong with her? She won't let me come near her and chased and pecked me. Is this just a phase or something more serious? I've never seen her like this as she's very lovable and goes with me everywhere. She wasn't like this the first time she laid eggs.

I really appreciate your response as i am very worried about losing her. Thank you 馃挍

Registered
Sounds as if she is just defensive about her nest. Handraised babies do have a personality change as they get older. They get more aggressive unfortunately.

I'm not familiar with the food you are giving. Try to get a dove and pigeonseed mixture and start adding this to her food. Also get a good quality grit (oyster shell grit) as this contains lots of minerals they need. Then the calcium must have Vit D3, as this helps with the absorption of calcium. You can also add apple cider vinegar to the drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Put this down as her drinking water for the day. It helps with digestion and to keep the good gut bacteria in place. They also love a bit of greenery. You can offer her spinach and crushed defrosted green peas. As a treat, chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. But in moderation, as this has a high fat content.

As long as she is eating well, then she is fine. If she stops eating and sitting fluffed up, then something is wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate all your pointers. Will look for the apple cider vinegar today. I saw someone selling oyster grit online so will check it out. I hope she will abandon the eggs on her own as i don't want her to be traumatised by all this. Will keep an eye on the fluffed feathers and start searching again for an avian vet, just in case. Thanks again and have a nice day 馃槝

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That's a long time for her to be couped inside without her usual activities. She's already showing signs of stress. Now and then she would walk off to the kitchen and try to break everything. She refused to eat and would grip the dish with her beak and throw all the food out. If it is a can then she would drag it to her nest. I hope this phase ends soon as she's really not herself 馃槓 im upset that she's upset. Thanks again Marina.

Registered
Really sounds as if she needs a mate. Incubating is instinct for them, but with no male around to share this duty... Adopt a handicapped male if you can.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I suspected that - she doesn't like doing this alone bcos everytime i walked into the room, she would quickly leave the nest and start biting things around the kitchen. A lot of clanging sounds from the kitchen these days. A male pigeon would be good for her but will be too much for me to handle. If things get worse I might have to find someone who rears pigeons so she can live with the flock. Heartbreaking for me but if it is for her best, ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts