Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I really need some help with my pigeon, Feather Legs.

He's not our first pigeon so we do know how to care, feed, and house a pigeon, but we have some behavior problems with this one.

He's like no other bird I've ever seen when he flies. He gets around like a fighter jet in a war zone. :rolleyes: Thats all well (for him) and good and he has a great time once his cage is opened daily and he's allowed 'out'.

BUT - he totally refuses to go back in despite hunger, thirst etc. This started two days ago and now my husband only has to go near him and he's off. He can keep this up until he can no longer fly, but after two days of this behavior I'm getting very scared that he will have a heart attack. Both my husband and I feel cruel doing this to him.

We're concerned that we softened too soon and let him out of his cage too fast. Honestly, we've no idea what's turned him like this but I'm almost in tears seeing him panting and plonked on the floor of his cage. We've considered keeping him in the cage for a time to rehome him back to his home, which until he's let out of he is very happy in.

We can't tempt with food, not even peanuts! He wants to be out on top of a lamp he's chosen to sit on 24/7 or fly 24/7. This bird was born to fly. I'm concerned his breed was not intended as a pet, and I'm feeling he might be unhappy being an indoor pigeon.

Please advise me. I love this little guy and am feared for him. :confused:

Georgiana

Attachments

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
What a beautiful pigeon! We have only had three pigeons so I'm not an expert. Hopefully someone with more expertise will answer soon. What time of day do you let him out? Perhaps if you let him out later in the day he will fly less. Am thinking that if you let him out an hour or two before dark, he will be easier to catch when it gets dusk/dark. Where did you get him? Is he an adult racer who is used to flying a lot? Don't think he will fly until he has a heart attack. Would hope pigeons know their limits. Is he in a flight cage where he can exercise? How tame is he? Chloe would fly around a lot when we first got her as she didn't know us. Both Phoebe and Chloe became shoulder surfers after they came to know us and one was totally feral and one was semi feral. I think pretty much any pigeon will tame but it takes time.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
He is one of those birdies..Over the years I had a few. Some pigeons have a time table where they get out for exercise and sleep all afternoon as well as eat some and then about dimmer light they go back to their cage...NOT YOURS....By trying to catch him you will hurt him if you are not careful or he will basically hurt himself. What I had to do was set up a small table in front of the cage with food on it (so that he can scatter it all over the floor--lol) and he will land there but keep a bowl of water in the cage a large one so that he can see it and he will eventually go in to drink the water and it will become a habit for him or you could reverse it put the water outside and the food inside. He will never like that cage because he never became attached to it and let him pick out a space that he does like to sit on and let him be there for he will settle down and fly less to different spots and that spot will be his home base so to speak. He wants to fly and younger birds know that they need exercise to contend with the wild things. If you got him as a wild pigeon---then release him in the Spring and if you got him as a pet than try this and maybe it will work. I will try to get a picture up of what I am talking about. Keep all overhead fans tied off and bird proof your house so that you have peace of mind and he is safe. You can also buy pigeon diapers for the birdie and other people know about that and will share the address where you can get these things. Some pigeons accept things and are good birdies but some pigeons especially males-----have a mind of their own....Good Luck to you...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
My cock doesn't want to be caged but I have his key, his mate. :)
If I cage her, he will soon come down, if he doesn't go inside the cage, he will sit on her cage so I find easy for him to cage his hen first else he will peck me bite me and even wing slap me.Also the cock I am talking about is very tame, but he just doesn't like to be caged.

Your bird is really beautiful and he seems like a pet bird, not wild one.
I like c. hert's advice too. You can definitely give it a try.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
He really does need to be caged when you aren't there to supervise him. And it isn't reasonable to let him pick his space. You are the keepers..............he is the bird. Keeping him in the cage to "rehome him" is not the answer. The more you keep him inside the cage, the more he will not want to go back in, as he doesn't know when he will get out again.
Actually, it's very simple. Let him out in the evening for a couple of hours to interact with him and give him exercise. Then turn off the lights and pick him up and put him in his cage. They don't see well in the dark, and won't normally fly off, so this works really well. You or your hubby stand near where he is, the other one turns out the light, and you should be able to pick him up in the dark. He will get used to this. Works every time. I have had nutty birds that will actually fly off in the dark, rather than be caught, so I just make sure to grab them well and securely the first time so that they cannot get away. A kiss on the top of his head, and into the cage with him. Very easy. Have always done this and it never fails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts