Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

There are about two dozen pigeons that live on my roof —they nest under my solar panels. In all my years, I’ve never encountered a non-adult pigeon. Today however, on the ground, below the nests, was an adolescent pigeon. I thought he needed some encouragement to return, only to discover he couldn’t fly.

After about 10mins of wrangling a ladder, I returned him to my roof, only to notice his reluctancy. I encouraged him to go further in for shelter, but then the adult pigeons started pecking at him! He bled a little too, as he stumbled while attempting to flee towards the vacant end.

Did I make a mistake of having returned him? Should I have kept him and contacted a rescue/reserve? I can check on him tmrw, do I need to save him?!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
The parents will continue to feed him on the ground, but then he will be easy prey for predators. If he was put in the wrong spot and not close to his nest and parents, then he will get attacked by other pigeons. If he is on the ground again tomorrow, plse bring him inside and post a photo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The parents will continue to feed him on the ground, but then he will be easy prey for predators. If he was put in the wrong spot and not close to his nest and parents, then he will get attacked by other pigeons. If he is on the ground again tomorrow, plse bring him inside and post a photo.
I checked on the colony this morning from the rooftop, and I couldn’t find him. Checked the yard and bushes too. I hope he’s alright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think aggressive adult pigeons killed him. I found the poor thing two days later —where I had found him just days before, only this time he was dead ;.(
I regret not taking him in, and calling a rescue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts