Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! Yesterday afternoon I found a young fledgling pigeon on a building site, looking huddled, bedraggled and generally unwell. No sign of any parents. I brought him home and placed him in a warm cage. Today he has been drinking water and eating too, so I was so hopefully and then tonight all of a sudden, I noticed his mouth constantly opening and closing. Then he flopped on the floor with his wings out and his neck twisted right back in this terrible contorted position, and he has been like that ever since.

I have no way of getting to a vet, it is very late at night here and I am absolutely at a loss as to what to do! The poor thing seems to be in agony, and I don't know whether he can even breathe properly. What have I done wrong, and what should I do now???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kimberley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alas, the poor little thing just died in my hands. I am so upset that there was nothing I could do to save him and I also feel terribly guilty too. I wonder if I might have contributed to him dying? Could I possibly have choked him when feeding him??? I feel absolutely dreadful.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Bless your heart! Sure doesn't sound good. Is he on a heating pad? Is he still alive? Forget the food for now and try getting some pedialyte or honey/sugar water in him. One of our rescuers should be along to walk you through and give you an idea what's going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for writing back so quickly. I'm sorry that I couldn't save him. :( I just have no idea what happened, he seemed to be doing quite well! He was looking sick since I found him, but had been eating and drinking... then this was all just so sudden, and so terrible to watch.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Wow, we must have been posting at the same time. I'm so sorry the little one died. It sounds neurological to me, possibly PMV with the twisting. He could also have sustained a head injury and what you saw was a seizure.
It is possible to choke a little one with feeding. Pigeons suck their liquids unlike a lot of other birds. I don't know what you were feeding or what method. It does not sound like aspiration, though, so I don't believe you did this to him.
Frequently, by the time you can see a bird is unwell, they have been sick for a while so I think he was probably in advanced stages of his illness when you found him.
I am sad that he died but am so glad that he died in the comfort of someone who cared! Bless you for caring!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for you kind words. I did care very much, and hopefully that is maybe better than him dying alone out on the street though, but I wish he hadn't died at all - and gosh I hope I didn't kill him.

Thank you again for your super-quick replies - if I ever find another sick/injured pigeon (not unlikely as I go to uni in the city) I will know where to come! You must be a lovely person. Bless you too!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Kimberley I feel for you and sorry to hear your little one didn't make it ......it sounds hauntingly familar with what I have going on with one of my baby birds at the moment with the contorting of the neck .

......anyway chin up !.....at least he went in the warm hands of a caring soul !

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Sorry to hear,the sad news......!!!
it was a great thing,u did by bringing the little one home.
it sounds like a PMV infection....You did everything right,so dont feel bad.let the liitle ones soul rest in peace,he surely will be thanking you now....for bringing him home,and giving him food and warmth

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Kimberley, I am so sorry. I doubt that there is anything that could have been done but just in case you ever need it this link covers how to examine and stabilise a new rescue. (The links on that page aren't working yet)

Was it a feral pigeon?

In my experience twisting and contorting of the neck has happened when wood pigeons die. I was called out to the vet to collect a baby wood pigeon and that was the state he was in when I arrived although the vet said that he seemed OK when I was called. In that case there was a nodule of canker in the throat. The next time I saw it was in a wood pigeon that was a "keeper" and that had bad poops. The twisting also happened suddenly , I suspected poisoning so I had a post mortem that showed that she had died of aspergillosis although none of the symptoms had indicated that. In both cases there was nothing that could have been done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.