Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Yesterday I was out and I noticed a pigeon limping across the road, it could hardly walk and there was a couple crows bugging it. I went over and shooed the crows away, the pigeon didn't try flying away, so I picked it up and wrapped him in my sweater to bring home. I have him with me now, set up a little area for him/her on my window sill (It's a fairly large area). I need some help and advice on what to do, as much as possible. I called the vet and they said they were unable to take it (or wouldn't take it). He doesn't move around much cause it's left leg is hurt, I don't think it's broken cause he can still walk and move around, he just limps fairly heavily. Not sure why it doesn't fly, I think it might be because he's too scared to since he has no balance. How can I make sure this guy gets better quickly, and make sure he's happy? He's also been puking a lot of green fluid. I read that they like grains and seeds so I've been giving him millet seed and sunflower seeds. He's only eaten a very small amount. He has been drinking a lot though. Does anyone know what could be wrong? How can I make sure he recovers properly? What's the best things to feed him? (I am 17 and do not have any money so I can't really buy anything...) Also, any tips on body language? (I'm big on animal's body language, I like to know what it means when they do something and if it's happy or upset) He seems to be a very friendly little guy. Thanks for your help ahead of time!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you post a picture?
Also, where in Canada are you located.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
That is cute little juvenile pij. Hope he perked up a bit. The leg might be just sprained and will heal, I would worry more about the vomiting and excessive water intake.
Is there any way you can get hold of antibiotics?

Reti

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly, he's actually doing better today. Not drinking as large amounts of water and he's stopped vomiting. I think he will be okay, just needs time to heal

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Being that the bird is still so young, I would put a drop or 2 of organic apple cider vinegar in the small bowl of drinking water to get the gut PH on tract and get some good gut bacteria started.

He may alo be learning to eat and doesn't even know how to pick up any seed. Please hand feed some thawed and drained and warmed frozen peas, it is very simple to hand feed and super nutritious.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Pre-Written Feeding Instructions

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.

In addition to the peas,one time a day, put a small pinch of powdered oyster shell, which you can buy at most pet stores, will supply the calcium the baby needs to support bone health.You sprinkle it on the peas.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Where in BC. I may know of someone that can take over for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts