Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!!.. Please I need your help. We found an injured pigeon in the midle of Flagler St (Miami). We rescued him/her and took him home. We put him in a safe and warm place. But he is not eating or drinking by himself, we are hand feeding him, but he doesnt want to eat. I dont know what is happening . If he needs some medicine?. My friend is a nurse and is helping me. But I am worried to death. Pigeon can walk but is not flying.

Please, friends, help me help that little pigeon!!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hello.

Please post a photo of the Pigeon, so we can figure out his/her age.

Also, are there any external injuries ? Blood, scabs, scratches, missing feathers, abrasions, etc ?

Thanks for helping ! Keep her/him in a warm and quite place....sounds like you are, but FYI I am talking an 80 degree F ambient temperature consistently. If you have a heating pad, you can put that under one layer of towel and turn it on low, and keep the pigeon on top of that.

Do you or your nurse friend happen to have any antibiotics, either pet or human grade ?

Amoxycillin, Penicillin, Clavamox, Cipro.Baytril, Augmentin, Ceclor...anything like that ?

Also, can you get some frozen peas somewhere ?

Please check back with that photo. And again, thanks for helping !!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jaye for answer me. We have Azithromycin (human).

Well the pigeon had a car accidents, we guess. She was in the middle of the street. We stop the trafic and took her home. She had some injuries in the head but is doing better of those injuries, she lost feathers. But my big concern is that she is not eating or drinking by herself. She is in a hot place. we have more than 80 degrees here in Miami. But I put her over a towel and put another little towel around her.

I am posting picture. We were trying to feeding her baby cereal, and baby food (fruits and vegetables )

Attachments

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I'm kinda' having a difficult time telling what's what in that photo... can you post another from a different angle?

Sometimes they don't eat when they're suddenly thrust into a new environment. And the way they eat from their parents is very different than any of the ways that we generally feed them. It's easier to feed them either formula or teach them how to eat seeds (which is laborious)--it kinda' depends on how old they are and I can't tell yet about this one.

Pidgey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is resting now. We feed her a little food and water and put her to rest. A lot of stress for this little fellow. I will take a better picture tomorrow. We are ready to give her some medicines if she need it. We have many medical supplies in the house, so I will post new pic first thing in the morning and I hope somebody can help us.

Thanks to you all guys!!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this poor bird. Seems like s/he had an accident. Could you take a pic of the back/top the head and left side of the head.
BTW, this is a ringneck dove.
Also do you have or could get hold of Cipro or Augmentin?

Reti

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
As Reti mentioned, Cipro or Augmentin (Amoxicillin/Clavulanate) may be a better choice, but Azithromycin may do the job and it may be best to get this little guy started right now with what you have and make a change later.

Cut one of the 500mg pills in half, crush into as fine a powder as you can, I use a shot-glass to do this, with the end of a small, rounded kitchen knife to grind with, Once this is done, add 10mL of pancake syrup or honey to this (this will be 2 cooking teaspoons worth, you must use a cooking teaspoon, nit a common flatware spoon), stir very well, cover and let sit 20 minutes, stir well again and it's ready to use.

You will give this little guy 5 drops of this, once a day. Once you give the first dose, I want you to pick up a 1cc syringe (the kind without a needle attached) to be more accurate with the dosing, you may even be able to do this right away. If using a 1cc syringe you will give 0.25cc (1/4 of a 1cc syringe, this is roughly 5 drops). This dosing is for a bird weighing about 150g, if you can get an exact weight for him, we can fine tune the dosing.

Thanks for rescuing this little one,

Karyn

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Can't tell if that's infection or swelling due to trauma. If it was trauma, then there will be the possibility that the bird will end up blind, can't tell at this point. If so, though, a few of us have blind birds and they do remarkably well. I've got one right now that's the biggest "lap pigeon" that I've ever seen. She can listen to us and then find us wherever in the house we are so that she can be picked up and petted. She's actually pretty amazing...

Anyhow, we'll see. Looking at that last picture and magnifying it, I can see that his beak is a bit scissored. I was wondering if he got smacked on the right jawline between the beak and that right eye--can you tell if that might have been the case?

Pidgey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts