Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help any advise or knowledge anyone is willing to share will be greatly appreciated. I found an injured what i believe to be an adult mourning dove in my front yard yesterday morning 10-9-15 i have it in a covered laundry basket with clean rags on the bottom. i keep a warm wet rag in a bag to help keep it warm i change it out as it gets cold the best i can. i have given it shelled sunflower seeds not the kind you buy the kind from actual seeds but it doesn't seem to be eating. i have also left it a small shallow bowl of water. it is pooping regularly which im hoping is a good sign. i have tried to contact vets in the area but they wont help and there are no wildlife shelters near me that will take it in. I don't want to see this beautiful animal die if i can help it. i tried cleaning the wound with a warm wet q-tip. i didn't know if i could use hydrogen peroxide or neosporin on it but if there is anything i can do to help it out let me know what i can do or what step i should take. i have done some research but this seemed to be the best place to get some info. i am located in rural western pennsylvania. I included a picture of her and it shows the injury i took that picture when she was first brought in before i gave her anything besides a few clean rags.
thanks so much

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Thank you for helping the poor bird! Someone more expert than me should be answering soon. Photo didn't come through. You may want to send private messages to kiddy and JohnD for expert advice on posting a photo and what to feed a mourning dove. Depending on what caused the wound it may need antibiotics, e.g., if a cat has bitten it. Thank you for helping the bird! Do you know how to send a private message? I think you go to user cp and about two thirds of the way down there is an option to send a private message. Please keep us posted on how the bird is doing. Would offer wild bird or some kind of packaged bird food with smaller seeds like millet or safflower rather than sunflower seeds, such as parakeet or cockatiel seed. Does he seem to have a broken wing? Is he somewhere warm and safe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is warm and safe in my garage for now but the nights are getting colder i'm working on getting a proper cage so i can bring him indoors. i found a local store that sells antibiotics and the proper food for it which i'm going to try when i get out of work in about an hour. i figured the antibiotics would be a good idea since i don't know what injured the bird in the first place. i do not know how to message people but i will try. i'm not super computer savvy and honestly had a hard time even posting this but i did manage thankfully haha. thank you for the encouragement by the way the vet seemed to think i was nuts for even trying.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your care and concern.

The primary concern is getting the bird to eat, wild bird seed will do. If the bird is not eating it will need to be hand/force fed.

Please check the following link on how to hand feed and what to feed. This is easiest and less stressful. http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/peasandcorn.htm

Yes, that is a good idea, oral antibiotics are necessary since you don't know what caused the wound. Make sure to flush wound gently and dry. You can use an antibiotic cream on that.
Keep bird warm and out of drafts of air.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
For posting pics there are many sites on Internet (of course they are related to pigeon talk) but just are the sites where you can post pics and then paste a link here, same as we post videos on YouTube and share the links.
One of them is imgur.com, to post pics on imgur.com is easy, just update pics there and paste a link here in your post.
It will enable us to see the injury.

For any wound pls clean it with saline water and cover it with neosporin, it does good to heal the wound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update! the dove seems to be doing well it is hard to tell if it i drinking by itself but i know it is eating by itself because i had to add some seed to its dish. im going to rehab it till it is completely healed and see if it can fly then. i am not to hopeful though so i am trying to locate a safe and loving forever home i worry that my place the dog will scare her too much.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
When she is eating on her own and doing well, she must be drinking also. You can measure the amount of water when you keep it and then see how much is remained. Have you tried to dip her beak in a crock or water to make her sip?

You can post here in adoption forum so may be she gets some caring owner as you can't keep her because of dog.

Thanks a lot for caring for her. Wish she can be released after she heals up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts