Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago I found a pigeon near the bird feeder in my front yard, it was on the ground flapping and trying to fly, I got closer to it and it tried to waddle under a bush. It was walking on one leg, and falling onto the other side. I got a box and layed it on it's side, and got the pigeon in the box. We have a friend that had a big parrot cage, so we laid the box on its side and placed it in the cage with some newspaper down. Got a little water dish and a plate with mixed bird seed (I have been reading here about food they should get, I'm going to go get some pigeon pellets or food later today). It likes to stay in the sideways box, but I have gotten it out and it has drank some water and it has eaten some. I let it rest the first day and 1/2. It' has really beautiful markings around its neck, it's got rainbow like colors of purple, green, and pink/red, can't see it too much in the pic though. Does this mean it's a certain type of pigeon? I just got it out, it does seem pretty tame, it doesnt freak out too much once settled in my lap. When it tries to fly, one wing expands all the way out, but the left wing is not coming out. I can't tell by looking at the wing what's wrong with it. When the pigeon tries to walk it is obviously only using one leg but I can't tell what's wrong with it's leg. We took pictures of it while I lifted the pigeon up. What do you think? I called the nearby vets and they all said they don't really specialize in birds but I could bring it in and pay them to look at it, but if it's leg is broke or fractured they would want to euthanize it. The bird is not shaking or anything, it seems like it might not be in too much pain to me, but I don't know a thing about a bird, I'm just learning.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thank you for caring about this little one and welcome to PT :)
It's hard to see anything in the pictures. Have you checked thru the feathers on the body and wing for any cuts or punctures? That is VERY important because if he was attacked by a predator he will need antibiotics ASAP.
Is he using his legs at all? Putting any weight on them? Spread out the wing that he doesn't open and see if you can see anything there.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this pretty bird.

I can't tell anything from the pics, but the legs appear to be in the correct position.

It may have some injury but without any swelling it is hard to tell. Gently run your fingers along the good wing and then around the wing that won't lift and see if you notice a difference, a possible injury, swelling or bruise. If this is a break it can be so small enough in the intricate amount of bones, that it s too small to tell, yet significant enough to not allow it to lift it.

Also, run your fingers along the leg and joints and see if you see a difference between the good and bad leg.

Check for cuts also.

This could be anything at this point, even nutritional deficiencies.

Here is a link to a list of resources to find help.

http://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/f8-pigeon-resources

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Where are you located in case we know of a rehabber or pigeon friendly vet near you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my husband hold the pigeon and we confirmed it is the left leg and the left wing. The right leg is fine, that's the one it uses. The left one it does not move any of the "fingers" and doesn't move it. The right wing is fine, the left wing the bird just won't expand. It does not look/feel like anything attacked it, but maybe it was flying and hit the window to my house? I have no idea. I have attached more pics and below is a link to a video I just took so you can see the bird trying to fly and what it does with the wing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dEHaEjG-UF2UkceokF_FLtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I live in Keyser, WV close to Cumberland, MD . I'd like to keep it and make it into a pet, so if there's someone that would just help to get it healthy that'd be great.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I live in Keyser, WV close to Cumberland, MD . I'd like to keep it and make it into a pet, so if there's someone that would just help to get it healthy that'd be great.
Check my link above, you may find someone locally to help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the places are all 3+ hours away, we've got 3 kids and I work during the day and have school at night.

·
Registered
864 Posts
leg is deffinitely broken..
however pigeons bones heal with in 2-3 weeks.. with or without the splint they heal if u allow pigeon to rest as long as it takes for him to be back on both feet.
just let him rest.. and u'll see in 3 weeks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would the broken leg prevent it from using the left wing though, or would something have to be wrong with the wing too?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Let him get some rest & give him plenty of seed & fresh water.I was unable to view the video you took.Is he eating?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
would the broken leg prevent it from using the left wing though, or would something have to be wrong with the wing too?
The pigeon is probably very sore from however he was injured.
Birds have air sacs through out their body, even into the abdominal area and so you must be very careful to hold the pigeon in a way that does not restrict the breathing. It's uncomfortable fo a bird to be held with the belly up or in an upside down position.
Please do keep the pigeon warm, with a heating pad set on the low setting and not higher... keep him quiet so he can heal. Avoid handling as much as possible.
Is he eating/drinking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes he is eating, all I have on hand right now is wild bird seed but he did eat a good bit of it today and I have water in a shallow plastic container for him and he did drink some and then pooped. The poop was kind of like a semi-hard pellet though. In the cage it pretty much stays in one spot and doesn't eat that much, but when I had it on my lap and put the paper plate with food in front of him, he ate like a third of the plate full, and then drank a little water. How much do they normally eat/drink a day?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
He needs to sit still & rest . I can't tell what type of wing injury he has.If he just has a very sore or brusied area it needs time to heal.No matter what the injury keeping still is good.You could also give him some wheat bread or toast. Also unsalted chopped peanuts.He needs o keep building his strength up.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Probably 3 tablespoons of pigeon seed...twice that amount of it's wild bird seed. The wild bird seed will do until you can get pigeon seed or add to it but it doesn't have enough protein for a pigeon.
Tp the wild bird seed you can add, dried peas, dried lentils. safflower, small pop corn, buckwheat, chopped raw unsalted peanuts. Most of those things you should be able to find in bulk at at grocery that sells bulk foods or you may have a feed store near you that sells pigeon seed mix. Go for the high protein mix.
Pigeons like deeper dishes for both seed and water. Pigeons drink quite a bit of water and usually in the morning and late afternoon.
What color are the pigeon's eyes? Are they black?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can add the split peas and lentils that you find in a grocery store, they come dry in a bag. And a little brown rice. The safflower, you can find where they sell seed for wild birds. Unlikely you will find pigeon mix in a small enough amount for one bird.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Jay...some feed stores do sell pigeon mix by the pound so it is worth checking out.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts