Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just become the temporary owner of a homing pigeon and would like some expert advice!

Since I just joined, I'll also introduce myself. I already live with 11 birds (budgies, finches and a canary!) and I work as a wild bird rehabilitator - so am not new to squabs and raising them. The difference is, I am familiar with wild rock doves, and not how to keep them domestically!

I do not know the politics of keeping pigeons (and hope to offend no one), but I understand that it is best to reunite a lost pigeon with its owner...but what about pigeons that are kept in poor conditions and sold for $5 for gun dog training!?!? Is this as inhumane as it sounds? Am I missing something? I can only imagine that there are two camps of people...people that care for their birds and people that consider them to be a commodity. Could someone fill me in?

I currently have a pigeon that was bought for $5 for gun dog training, the pigeon would not return home (only 5 miles away) but stayed with the family. To make a long story short, I ended up with the bird (as random birds typically end up with me one way or another) and I need to figure out what to do. I would like to find this bird a good home with someone that cares about their birds. I was told that the man that sold the birds bred tons of them and does not worry about if they all return or not.

I hope I can get some replies here (the tone of this forum seems great so I am hopeful!)...I've joined a few racing pigeon forums and have gotten no response. :confused: Thank you!

PS I am in Minnesota, USA

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Miss Madison! Welcome to PT!:D

I gotta agree with you..... this is A GREAT FORUM!!!!

I'd suggest that you post a few pictures of the bird and list him for adoption in the adoption section... that way more people are likely to see it!.;).. here is a link to the adoption section. http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f10/
AND, thank you so much for being his guardian until he finds a forever home.

Also, Are you sure you dont want to keep him ... many of us here, myself included, have indoor house pigeons. They make Fantastic pets.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hello,

I have just become the temporary owner of a homing pigeon and would like some expert advice!

Since I just joined, I'll also introduce myself. I already live with 11 birds (budgies, finches and a canary!) and I work as a wild bird rehabilitator - so am not new to squabs and raising them. The difference is, I am familiar with wild rock doves, and not how to keep them domestically!

I do not know the politics of keeping pigeons (and hope to offend no one), but I understand that it is best to reunite a lost pigeon with its owner...but what about pigeons that are kept in poor conditions and sold for $5 for gun dog training!?!? Is this as inhumane as it sounds? Am I missing something? I can only imagine that there are two camps of people...people that care for their birds and people that consider them to be a commodity. Could someone fill me in?

I currently have a pigeon that was bought for $5 for gun dog training, the pigeon would not return home (only 5 miles away) but stayed with the family. To make a long story short, I ended up with the bird (as random birds typically end up with me one way or another) and I need to figure out what to do. I would like to find this bird a good home with someone that cares about their birds. I was told that the man that sold the birds bred tons of them and does not worry about if they all return or not.

I hope I can get some replies here (the tone of this forum seems great so I am hopeful!)...I've joined a few racing pigeon forums and have gotten no response. :confused: Thank you!

PS I am in Minnesota, USA
I'm a little confused and that's probably nothing new.........LOL...so the bird actually belongs to a dog trainer? You said it would not return home but "stayed with the family"...........so, someone ELSE found the bird, released it and it wouldn't go home and they know where home is? Did someone contact the "owner"? Then they gave YOU the bird?
I will tell you, I advise always, that a banded bird should be returned to it's owner if possible and I stick by that 99% of the time, but I'll also tell you, that if I found a bird or it showed up here, and I knew for sure, 100%, that it was being used to train dogs???.........well, guess what..........I would now have a new bird. ;)
Just from what you said, it doesn't sound like the person who owns the bird cares one way or the other, so I don't think YOU should worry about him. Just worry about the bird.{

PS: Welcome to PT by the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a little confused and that's probably nothing new.........LOL...so the bird actually belongs to a dog trainer? You said it would not return home but "stayed with the family"...........so, someone ELSE found the bird, released it and it wouldn't go home and they know where home is? Did someone contact the "owner"? Then they gave YOU the bird?
I will tell you, I advise always, that a banded bird should be returned to it's owner if possible and I stick by that 99% of the time, but I'll also tell you, that if I found a bird or it showed up here, and I knew for sure, 100%, that it was being used to train dogs???.........well, guess what..........I would now have a new bird. ;)
Just from what you said, it doesn't sound like the person who owns the bird cares one way or the other, so I don't think YOU should worry about him. Just worry about the bird.{

PS: Welcome to PT by the way.
I'll try to clarify! :) A person I know 'rented' the bird for $5 to train their dog. (It's the person's mother who convinced her son to give me the bird when it did not return to the owner.) The man that owns the bird keeps pigeons solely for the purpose of renting them to people who train gun dogs. He has many and only feeds them corn. Apparently, people rent the birds, spin the bird around until its dizzy, and plonk it in the grass for gun dogs to learn to point. The guy's main business is a pheasant farm - for hunting.

I normally would go to great lengths to return a bird to it's home, provided it was a humane existence for the bird...but because of the circumstances I thought I would come here to see what others thought.

Also, thanks for the welcome! Floridaluv, keeping the bird did cross my mind, but I'm not sure of the requirements. My birds live in flight cages and come out for a short time each day...wouldn't a homing pigeon need a loft and opportunities to fly free? I have three cats too. I guess I will need to find out about what they need to be happy and figure out if I could provide it! :)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I'll try to clarify! :) A person I know 'rented' the bird for $5 to train their dog. (It's the person's mother who convinced her son to give me the bird when it did not return to the owner.) The man that owns the bird keeps pigeons solely for the purpose of renting them to people who train gun dogs. He has many and only feeds them corn. Apparently, people rent the birds, spin the bird around until its dizzy, and plonk it in the grass for gun dogs to learn to point. The guy's main business is a pheasant farm - for hunting.
That's the most assine thing I've ever heard. Someone should spin HIM around a plob his butt on the ground..........errrrr........:mad:

I normally would go to great lengths to return a bird to it's home, provided it was a humane existence for the bird...but because of the circumstances I thought I would come here to see what others thought.
I believe that's USUALLY the best thing to do, is TRY to return the bird, but I always tell people to ASK what the fate of the bird will be before they return it. In this case, I wouldn't even waste my time.

Also, thanks for the welcome! Floridaluv, keeping the bird did cross my mind, but I'm not sure of the requirements. My birds live in flight cages and come out for a short time each day...wouldn't a homing pigeon need a loft and opportunities to fly free? I have three cats too. I guess I will need to find out about what they need to be happy and figure out if I could provide it! :)

My birds do live in a loft and the ones that are "homed" here are allowed to fly and I race my birds too. Usually, a homer, if allowed freedom at a new "home" will not stay, but will try to return what IT considers home. We all have what we call prisoners, in that they can never be released or they would just take off, so, although, I don't recommend caging a homer or any pigeon for that matter, for it's life, as long as they are allowed free time outside the cage but not OUTSIDE, they will do just fine. They can and do become pets just like any other pet bird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts