Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 12 and i found a bird that is around 27-29 days old.... it looks as if both his eyes have been scrached out and hes completly blind.... since i found him he didnt eat or drink but he tryed to eat bread by pecking it and he coudnt get any... he likes to be petted and held.... if he survives until i leave back home from isreal myaunt will take him on. but i dont know what to do or what to feed him..i dont know much about birds but i took care of one that fell out of the nest at around 10 days and i had him for 20 days untill he died from the fall...
Thank you,
saar
p.s. i dont know if its a he or she but im just reffering to him as a he..

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If the bird's feet feel cool or cold then place him on a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel or under a lamp. Don't place him in the sun or next to strong heat and keep checking to make certain that he is not too hot. Let him rest for half an hour.

If he has been without food or water for some time he will need to be rehydrated before he is fed. Unless he is passing plump moist poops, mix 1 pint of warm water with half a teaspoon of sugar and half a tablespoon of glucose, or honey, or sugar. Dip the pigeon's beak in a bowl of the warm soltion taking vare to keep the nostrils uncovered and hold it there a while. That should stimulate him to drink. Keep doing this for a couple of hours. I usually leave it overnight before I feed a pigeon that is dehydrated.

Can you get some frozen corn and peas and defrost them, or some fresh corn and peas?

You can hand feed it abot 50 a day, using this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

I prefer to wait overnight before feeding a bird that is dehydrated.

Can you describe the damage to his eyes? Sometimes they can be so swollen and bloody that it looks as if they are permanently blind, but this might not be the case.

If you have any colloidal silver then rinse his eyes with that. Otherwise you can use the sterile saline used by humans as an eye wash.

What part of Israel are you in? It is a small country and we might have a member close to you that can show you how to care for the little one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thank you

thank you for the information... i am pretty sure he is blind and he might also be deaf... i cant acually see an eye or blood its kind of puffy and the skin looks alot like the skin on the feet. and it also looks like that around the ears area. in my house in isreal there are alot of pigeons nesting in the roof so i think the mom raised it until she found out he was deaf and clawed out his eyes... then dropped him from the roof. but i am guessing the story.
i live in nyc but my family lives in bat leham haglilit... near hifa... and i am curently visiting them (i visit 3 times a year)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Thanks, I have sent an e-mail to Hilary, I hope that she is still in Israel.

However bad things look, keep hoping and bathing the eyes. You would be amazed at how well pigeons cope with blindness and how well they can heal!

Cynthia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ohh no... i just read another post and he has bumps on his head... what does that mean... i put him under a lamp and his feat are nopt worming up... i dont know what to do... i cant get a look at his tong.... thanks for calling and helping. hope he will survive.im trying to feel him now

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
What sort of bumps on his head does he have?

What post did you read?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i read the post about finding the pigeon in the yard..
the bumps are just like small bug bites but the skin is just like the leg skin

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Try to give him water with sugar first.
When he drinks, let him relax a little and try to feed him with defrosted corns slightly warm them not to hot. Open his beak and put corn inside and push it gently. Let him swallow and repeat with next one until 50.
You can check bumps later.
Do you have chamomile tea at home?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The lumps sound like pigeon pox. It can affect the eyes and look pretty bad, but feral pigeons can recover from it.

Have a read of this thread and scroll down to the photo in post number 27. Is that what yours looks like?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=20146&referrerid=560

There is advice in that thread about what to do.

Cynthia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will check if i have chamomile tea and if not i'll buy some... i tryed to give him water but he wont drink also he fights me when i try to force feed it and he spitts out the defrosted corn

i hope i can help the little creature..

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Get someone to help you feeding. It is difficult to do it alone. Do not squeeze him when holding, as he needs to breath. You need to feed him and give water. Do it slowly and take your time. Use chamomile tea warm, not hot with cotton bud to clean eyes. You can also swab bumps with it. For bumps, you can use Tea tree oil, but not near eyes.
It really sounds as pigeon pox. It is like chicken pox in humans but not dangerous or contagious for you. Just remember to wash your hands when handling pigeon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
feefo,
yes that is how it looks... is there a way to treat it? i dont suspect that the mother will want to take the pigeon back after its treated... can it see at all.... it doesnt look like it.
his poop is very liquid and white without brown..

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
POx takes about 6 weeks to clear up, by thet time the mother will have other babies.

If you read through that thread it contains a lot of advice on treatment. Hopefully the eyes will be undamaged as the pox growths will be on the lids.

I will e-mail Surya, as she has had recent experience she will understand what you are going through and be able to support you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it seems that he cant see but he loves to flap his wings and fly very low for short times... he seems very active and my brother will try to help me feed him. i will try to update on him everyday im with him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
things are looking up for buetiful

yes i have given her the name beutiful... he or she is now answering some of my commands and eating corn and drinking water with one tea spoon of suger... the pigeon pox have stayed the ame but she is definitly more energetic.
a question i have is why does the keep pecking me everytime i touch her, and why does she preffer to sit on me then be in her cage or on her bowl? is it natural?
also once i give her 50 pieces of corn and she asks for nore what do i do?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Saar,
You could have continued already started tread from yesterday as it is much easier to follow information. Anyway, I’m glad that things are getting better for Buetiful or Beautiful. It is still long way to go though. First to answer your questions:
Pigeons use their beak as we use hands. Pecking is their way to greet you. They don’t peck hard.
She (I presume it is a girl for now) prefers you to keep her because you provide warmth and security and food. In a way she is looking for comfort that usually parents provide. In a way she is bonding to you. You can put old t-shirt in the cage and make a nest as it is difficult to carry her around and he needs sleep too.
Baby pigeons do not know when to stop eating. Their parents feed them and they decide when is enough. If you overfeed her, she will have pains and acids in the crop. Rather leave her to beg for more.
Please check if you can get Tea tree oil to dab her bumps on the head and legs. Eyes you can wash with chamomile tea.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is very good news.:)

Is she squeaking for food? Is she picking up corn herself or are you putting it in her mouth?

Cynthia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you,

i dont know the sex but she looks more like a girl i'll try getting the tea tree oil. and i'll try putting a shirt. i trey puting her next to a pigeon just to compare size and everything and they look about the same size even though the other pigeon was older. i will make sure to not over feed it and the suger in the water is helping alot with the energy. when she climbs on me she flaps her wings so i think she cant see but i think she can hear me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts