Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A pair of magnificent European collared doves build a nest in a tree on my balcony around two weeks ago. They already laid two eggs and are diligently sitting on them taking turns.
In about ten hours however our area will be hit by a STORM with wind gusts up to 90 km/h (56 mph). The tree is very exposed to the winds, and it is shaking quite a bit under much milder winds. I am very concerned about the stability of the nest. So my idea was to MOVE THE TREE WITH THE NEST IN IT (the tree grows in a pot) around half a meter closer to the wall.
As follows from the articles I've read, moving a nest is not a good idea, but what about moving it with the whole tree?

Or may be you guys have a better idea for me to protect my birdies?

Alternatively I could try to build a windbreaker around the tree. Is it going to be too much of a change for the parents and scare them away?

20210423_121316.jpg

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I'm sure moving the tree will be fine. Just get someone to help you so that the tree won't shake too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you Marina, I'm just not so sure, as they normally land on the balcony railings and then hop on the tree branches. If the tree is at the wall, it will be different.
They are holding up so far, if it starts looking worse, that's the only thing I can do anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts